Security Of Your Belongings In The Goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewilko

that's right it was me....
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about the security of your possessions in the goldfields?

Security:
"Being free from danger or threat, from theft, vandalism or intrusion"

Whilst camped out and you are a distance away from your possessions in the goldfields, what likelihood do you think you may experience an A B or C ?"

A - Willful Act.
Theft, vandalism or intrusion is more than likely. I stow and lock up all of my gear. Not much can be done by me to safeguard my gear and this worries me. If they want it they'll get to it willfully one day.

B - Opportunistic Act.
Excursion around and through my site, loss of something of limited value, replaceable, but I just have to be sure to lock up my valuable gear purposefully at all times. I feel ok and am not worried in this manner but am perhaps resigned to having something stolen one day.

C - Not Concerned.
Leave my camping gear around, my vehicle unlocked and tent flap open. I believe or feel that I do not have a concern, will not be bothered as I prospect about and I trust all Aussies that come into the areas as we do and extend the same courtesy.

Personally, I am living the B
I would like to be a C
I think I should be a C
But I cannot be that nieve to be a C?

Waddya reckon?
stevewilko

We always stay in a Caravan Park when in Maryborough, most of the time all detectors have a cable through//over/around so that they cannot be taken without a bit of effort, never had any problems in the Caravan Park so far. When we are out detecting my wife normally stays within sight of the car and she has been instructed if she sees another vehicle or person to call on the radio and let me know and then watch until they either go or we have so idea of what they are doing, if she feel s that they are going to be a problem, I will normally be heading back to the car and if necessary will make haste to get there, not really knowing what I am going to do anyway.

One of the problems that we have had in the past was not knowing where my wife was and her being able to describe her position, but on the last trip we purchased the Garmin Rino 700 radio GPS combination, so now with a press of a button I can see her location and the location of the car, I would prefer her to stay out of sight, but not always possible until I arrive back as she tends to wear brighter coloured clothing so she can be seen. So far we have not had any trouble and is one of the reason that we sometimes prefer to travel with other detectorists who may be in the park at the time, but not always possible as they or us do not want to show our secret areas.

Most of the time we tend to get as far off the roads as is possible so that the car cannot be seen, but that can also work against us if someone with evil intent manages to find us. Have considered putting a remote control on the air horns which could be activated from a distance, which may make some, but not all think again. Also a hidden video camera in the vehicle may help identify if there was a problem operated in similar fashion to the air horns. So far so good. :power: :power: :power:

Graham

Unfortunately I think its a mix of A & B. I do what I can to secure my gear in the car, but always think that there are people around, given the opportunity, who will break in to the car and steal it.
Its just the way it is and if it happens it happens.
Im very aware and alert when out bush on my own. To me its just being street or bush smart.

G'day

Most people do the right thing and leave other prospectors gear alone if they encounter someones camp in the bush, its sort of an unwritten rule (bush etiquette) that if you come across a camp and there is no one about then you just move on, if I come across a camp and I see people I will generally stop and say hello just so they know someone else is about the place, if not I will just keep going, I have come across camps strewn with items that could be easily stolen things like solar panels, generators, even metal detectors laying about in plain sight.

Times have changed and you simply have to use common sense and at the very least put tempting gear out of sight, most people are pretty honest but at the same time of course they could be tempted if they see something that they don't have or can't afford laying in plain sight then they just might be swayed to snatch it, so having said that just stow your gear and lock you vehicle, set your alarm if you have one, my theory is simple and its a fact if they want it they will take it regardless if you have everything locked away and alarmed but most thefts are opportunistic so if you make it a little difficult or they think there's a chance someone might hear an alarm or catch them at it they might just think twice and move on.

A lot of theft have happened when people leave gear in plain sight inside their vehicles when stopping in country towns, in some places I go that is a very bad idea as the locals will smash your windows or ruin your door locks to snatch even the loose change or sunnies they might see laying in plain sight on your console, so a detector or other things like cameras and phones are fair game and easily on sold, if you have to leave it in your car cover it with a rug or stow anything of interest out of plain sight, most of the time the cost of repairing the damage done by the smash and grab thieves is more than the value of the items they have stolen.

Prevention is often easier than the cure :Y:

cheers

stayyerAU

I stay in free camps or on a mates property, the one thing I never do is leave my detectors in the car unattended. At night, I take them into the van with me. The water jerries are locked to the van wheel, same with fuel jerries, sat dish when used etc. Anyone with a battery angle grinder could get them anyway. But at least it helps against the opportunistic.

I guess the biggest threat I have is if I'm using one detector and the other is in the 4by and out of sight of the vehicle.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/master-lock-1-8m-x-5mm-mini-python-adjustable-locking-cable_p4210519

These things are great

1570862754_python.jpg

condor22 said:
I stay in free camps or on a mates property, the one thing I never do is leave my detectors in the car unattended. At night, I take them into the van with me. The water jerries are locked to the van wheel, same with fuel jerries, sat dish when used etc. Anyone with a battery angle grinder could get them anyway. But at least it helps against the opportunistic.

I guess the biggest threat I have is if I'm using one detector and the other is in the 4by and out of sight of the vehicle.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/master-lock-1-8m-x-5mm-mini-python-adjustable-locking-cable_p4210519

These things are great

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1932/1570862754_python.jpg

I got one similar on e bay , and it has an alarm if it is disturbed. Has a combination lock though. Just run the cable through things and around the drawbar.

Most places are ok but you only need one bad experience and then you don't trust anybody anywhere. Your best defense is to keep everything out of sight. If they can see it they want it. We are fortunate to be very high off the ground so it's not easy to see inside so that makes me feel better. Then we run the quads into the trailer at night where they are out of sight.

I hate locking up simply because it's such an inconvenience to lock and then every time you go to get something you have to find a key and unlock but we don't take chances any more and lockup when we leave. We are usually a very long way from any sort of communication so if something happened it would be very difficult to do anything about it.

I think you are certainly safer out in the sticks than you are in a caravan park or the driveway at home. If there's nobody around then there's nobody to create chaos. And then even if somebody turns up then the chance of them being a crook is surely on a similar % ratio as anywhere else. The only thing is that most people know if you are out there you most likely have some very expensive gear that's good value to knock off.

some booby traps, nothing that will kill ya though, its amazing what you can do with the old thin flexible razor blades. ;)

I'm definitely a 'C' lol with a bit of a 'B'. If I've lost it i'm sure somebody found it.

I'm swinging between b and c. If I'm far enough off the beaten track I'm not too worried about opportunistic thieves, more the murdering psychopaths that worry me out there, and if stealing my gear distracts them its a sacrifice worth making!

Latest posts