SDC 2300 nimh batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markgoldhunter

mark johnston
Reaction score
hi can anyone shed some light on when to charge these type [nimh ] of batteries for a sdc. I am getting conflicting views as to wether to run them right out then recharge or to recharge every night. I thought they had fixed the 'memory problem ' with this type of batteries years ago. thanks mark.

Charge them whenever you like.
Just dont use a "Fast charger"...fast chargers overheat them and overheating the batteries can damage them.

Simple Guidelines on Charging Nickel-based Batteries

Below 70 percent, the charge efficiency of nickel-based batteries is close to 100 percent. The pack remains cool but it begins to warm up towards full-charge.

Nickel-based batteries must cool down on trickle charge when ready, especially NiMH.

Consumer chargers do not always terminate the charge correctly. Remove the batteries when warm to the touch. Discontinue using a charger that cooks the batteries.

Charge at room temperature. Do not charge when hot or at freezing temperatures.

Nickel-based batteries are best fast charged; a lingering slow charge causes memory.

NiMH chargers can charge NiCd, but not the other way. NiCd chargers overcharge NiMH.

Do not leave a nickel-based battery in the charger for more than a few days. If possible, remove the packs and apply a brief charge before use.

Nickel- and lithium-based batteries require different charge algorithms. Unless provisions are made, these two chemistries cannot share the same charger.

markgoldhunter said:
hi can anyone shed some light on when to charge these type [nimh ] of batteries for a sdc. I am getting conflicting views as to wether to run them right out then recharge or to recharge every night. I thought they had fixed the 'memory problem ' with this type of batteries years ago. thanks mark.

You are correct, Mark and any 'conflicting views' are from those who don't understand that the technology has moved on from the bad old Nickel-Cadmium (NiCad) days, with their endless hassles and frustrations. As others above have correctly stated, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries are comparatively forgiving and frequent recharging shouldn't harm them as long as they aren't getting too hot in the charger.

Thanks folks that clears that up, so now I feel confident about what I am doing. Cheers mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts