Scientists stunned by find in Outback desert

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In an Australian first, palaeontologists have uncovered the head and body of a 100-million-year-old Plesiosaur – a long neck marine reptile – in the Queensland desert.

The fossil, which was uncovered near Mckinlay in Western Queensland, has been labelled “the Rosetta stone of marine reptile palaeontology” by those involved after it was discovered by ‘The Rock Chicks’ – a trio of fossil hunters led by an outback Queensland station owner.

Experts believe the new fossil may hold the key to unlocking the mystery around Australian plesiosaurs.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...t/news-story/d7a5c4cbcba95ed142a04fae2c6070b5
Amazing stuff!

23a6d3d08f7708a05c5a022a6168f2ed.jpgfd3893bed0388e2748d757dea6048b47.jpg

This bit bellow let's you understand what we will be dealing with when all the ice has melted"if it does"

"It is odd to think we are finding marine reptiles, turtles and fish in what is now essentially desert in outback Queensland but back in the Cretaceous period [145- 66 million years ago] it was an inland sea"
You and I won't see it. Will take 1000-2000 years at present rate.

Not sure why they say it is a first though....

You and I won't see it. Will take 1000-2000 years at present rate.

Not sure why they say it is a first though....
I believe due to the length of neck the "first" is in relation to head being found intact with the rest of the body ? Usually not the case apparently according to those that know far more than I on the subject?

I believe due to the length of neck the "first" is in relation to head being found intact with the rest of the body ? Usually not the case apparently according to those that know far more than I on the subject?
That is the info that I also found on the web. So it is a first.

Yes I find it amazing how it has laid totally undisturbed for the time period it has. Like 100 million years the mind boggles at a million let alone 100 million. Makes my life time rather miniscule 🙃 🙃
Yes, they went extinct 66 million years ago during the K-T extinction event that wiped out the dinosaurs. They are not really the original bones of the dinosaurs, but rock, which is why they survive. Original bones only survive for decades to a few million years at most. However as they dissolve (buried in rock) they leave cavities (moulds) that are infilled with mineral material, often silica (sometimes even precious opal).

how the hell did they find that? Damn good effort in my book
I'd assume there were some surface signs of likely rock types in the ground, just like prospectors checking out a patch of quartz or an ironstone outcrop. Apparently they'd dug there the previous year, but weren't satisfied they'd gone deep enough.

"It is odd to think we are finding marine reptiles, turtles and fish in what is now essentially desert in outback Queensland but back in the Cretaceous period [145- 66 million years ago] it was an inland sea"
So when Sturt went searching (exploring) for an inland sea and had his party carry a boat, he was right, but just 66 million years to late, I guess if he had been going now after all the rain and flooding etc, he would have claimed to be correct

Latest posts