Sapphires in Mudgee

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
------------------------

Follow this link below it is a NSW mining report on known sapphire locations in NSW.

I couldnt help but notice that there is a small area just outside Mudgee that appears to have reports of sapphires.

Has anyone had any experience in this area for Sapphires?

I have access to a property that faces the Cudgegong River after the Dam leading to Mudgee and also another property in Gulgong.

I will be heading up that way soon but I wanted some other peoples opinions. I understand it may not be the best area but I just want to know if it be worth a Sieve.

I will report back on whatever I find of course :)

---------------------------------------

The link

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...k7d21dDtqvvtdsIdeW9vgpA&bvm=bv.74035653,d.c2E

----------------------------------------

Hey Jukey,

Any stream / creek or gravel is worth a look see in my opinion.

I have tried to get access to the Cudgegong gravel but could not get close as it was on private property. Where I could get access at a road bridge it was just a deep channel full of water, i.e. no gravel to get hold of.

They must be there, we need some one with local knowledge for access to gravel or bedrock.

I would take the gold pan as well. Sapphires are heavy and will be the last thing left in the pan along with gold. You will get a quick idea if gems are in there if tiny gems are left and test panning is quick before sieving.

Good Luck

Let us know how you get on.

Any stream / creek or gravel is worth a look see in my opinion.

Absolutely! I never pass up the chance to inspect gravel banks along rivers and creeks or aluvial fans. You never know what might be lying around until you have a good look.

I'm a bit confused by some of the info in that link. There are several thousand mining tenure holders on the Anakie field, including a significant number of commercial machinery miners. It doesn't sound right that production is only a fraction of New England - I think it exceeds the amount claimed in that link by some orders of magnitude.

Yes the Cudgegong River has Sapphires and Rubies, they are very small but plentiful. I havn't been there yet but I've seen some of the stones. The Rubies glow quite brightly under UV light too.

Hi Guyz thanks for the reply.

Retirement Stone - I will report back I am going up very soon maybe I can organise a day trip for the forum if things go well.

Lefty - Yeh I will try and look for those gravel banks and areas and have a go - positive thinking!

Heatho - Ok that's positive I will have to go for a search now.

Jukey.

I put a photo of stones from there in " pink stones " thread ( gemstone ) the stones are small and not much to cut .. Clear though . And pretty colours...:)

As King Solomon has said you do get some nice pink stones and some blue ones as well. I have yet to find a good size stone of either colour. I am trying to add a diamond to my collection as they are in there as well.
I am heading over there tomorrow to give my new Walbanker a run. :p
I will post pics when I get back.

Jukebox said:
Hi Guyz thanks for the reply.

Retirement Stone - I will report back I am going up very soon maybe I can organise a day trip for the forum if things go well.

Lefty - Yeh I will try and look for those gravel banks and areas and have a go - positive thinking!

Heatho - Ok that's positive I will have to go for a search now.

Jukey.

Ill be up for a trip!

Thx

Brumble and King, I will go have a look!

Haha Twapster wouldn't go without asking you hahah

Going through the concentrates now, will post photo tomorrow. I ran out of sunlight while panning, a lot of small sapphire and pink ruby chips. All went through the 1/4" sieve so rather small. Hopefully around a gram of gold.

Brumble-Gum said:
Going through the concentrates now, will post photo tomorrow. I ran out of sunlight while panning, a lot of small sapphire and pink ruby chips. All went through the 1/4" sieve so rather small. Hopefully around a gram of gold.

Keen to see what haul!

I was at mudgee this weekend getting gold didnt focus on the sapphires at all.

I will come up at the drop of a hat just give me a reason.

I be keen for trip on the weekends of the 13th and the 27th sept.

Brumble-Gum said:

Pity they all go through the bottom sieve, you'd think there would be some bigger ones there somewhere. Great going on the Gold though.

Finally got through the concentrates, this is what was in the pan and just under a gram of gold.

1409639810_diamond.jpg
1409639835_sapphires.jpg

Nice pics BG, they are such nice looking stones from there, such a pity that they always seem to be small, would be great if there were bigger ones around there somewhere. What's in the top pic? A Diamond?? Looks Octahedral like a Diamond.

Latest posts