Sand Restoration Adelaide Beaches

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went to West Beach near Surf Lifesaving Club today to try and find some more pre-decimal coins . All walkways closed from clubrooms to past the Torrens outlet.Sand replenishment going on. Went for a wander anyway to try out the new sand boots. Dug some deep garbage had 2 hours of fresh air. No complaints. :)

Hi Dave

We hunt that beach periodically - and yes - sand is shifted by hand and machine on a regular basis during the year... However I believe sand is picked up at West Beach and dumped at Seacliff - I know they have a pipe which was supposed to do this automatically but it doesn't work correctly so they use excavators and dump trucks too. The sand moves from Seacliff further north so the school of thought is that targets are washed up north too - and as Glenelg is the most popular beach - West beach would be the location it washes up on. But we have found that Henley and Grange was much more lucretive through to Tennyson and Semaphore - and many pre-dec coins have been found there... ;)

Much of the sand in that area was excavated due to the Torrens mouth completely silting up a few weeks back. The northern side of the mouth copped a fair bit of erosion where the king tides ran right up to the sand hills, and took away a good couple of metres of sand. I got a few coins here, but since then a loader has re-deposited the sand to prevent further erosion. The fence line in front of the dune was actually sitting a good foot in the air due to the erosion.

The area in front of the yacht club was quite lucrative a while back when the whole area copped a storm or two, but has since been sanded in for quite a long time, with nothing found other than construction rubbish, probably from when the club was first built.

I regularly do seacliff beach, and although the wave action takes the sand to the north, the bedrock is very shallow here, and provides a good trap for heavies. The only issue is that this area has been sanded in for a good couple of months now vs the good rocky gutters that were exposed during the summer months.

Got onto the beach yesterday. Found my first six penny piece.(1961) Grotty it may be but happy it made me. :)

Latest posts