Same old story by the sounds of it!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDH

Reaction score
Well, hello

My names Matt. I'll start by saying I'm a gold novice, though my old man has been an amature in the game longer than I'm old and on a recent fishing trip I took him on he brought along a pan as he wanted to have a looksee... Well after the lack if interest in my adolescence, I think the bug may have bit... A few hours of hogging the pan later and I had myself about 100specks and my first little nugget around 0.5g according to the boss man.... Hook line and sinker I suppose!!

Now how I came to the site, quite a common occurrence by the sounds of it, whilst scouring the net/YouTube looking at sluices, deciding on wether to buy or build one/differences between them, this same name kept coming up very frequently (wal nliz, if you hadn't guessed) whenever sluice was added and near on most searches containing the word 'gold'...

Now I want a Walbanker too....

Long story short, a lot of info kept stemming back to this site, along with that all too familiar name so I thought why not cut to the chase and join the source, first impressions seems a very friendly and knowledgable bunch of people here, so I hope to be able to contribute along the road to my riches...(or heartbreak)

Cheers, Matt

Oh, still up in the air on the sluice design too but it's going to come out of the garage I think!!!!

welcome mate,
great bunch here. lots of information around the forum great pointers and tips for newbies aswell as the more experienced prospector
HH drys :D

welcome matty
I am new ish to this site and prospecting in general and have learned a lot from the very helpful people on this site
big thumbs up to the site and all :p

Welcome Matty. I too am a newbie. I have learnt so much from the generous advice and encouragement of the members here.

Good luck with the hunt. There are some great tutorials in the DIY thread

Cheers. Tone

Welcome Matt :) I'm building a walbanker too from what I hear you won't be disappointed :)

Welcome to the forum & this great hobby Matt.
You'll have a blast.
Looking forward to a pic of your 1/2 gram nug :D .

Cheers

Hello everyone, I live in the Townsville area and am keen to go fossicking though at this stage can't find anyone to show me where to go or what to do. I live in hope :)
cheers jan.

Thanks guys, looking around I'm thinkin my lil nugget might be a bit smaller than the old man thinks... But I'm not to care anyway, it makes a noise when ya drop it in the jar. Got a little set of scales on the way so I'll find out soon enough. End of the day the smaller it is, the easier it is to get a bigger peice!

heathcote said:
Hello everyone, I live in the Townsville area and am keen to go fossicking though at this stage can't find anyone to show me where to go or what to do. I live in hope :)
cheers jan.

Looks like your lucky day then.
I am in Townsville & am happy to help out when I can.
If you pm me your email I can send you a copy of the Townsville club newsletter, to give you an idea of what is going on.
cheers
Lee

rc62burke said:
heathcote said:
cheers jan.

If you pm me your email I can send you a copy of the Townsville club newsletter, to give you an idea of what is going on.
cheers
Lee

Just noticed you have only 1 post you need 10 before you can use the pm

Hi everyone I am 'the wife' aka Kerri..Just letting you know whilst hubby has gold fever... I bought 12 bags of dirt for $10 each & amongst the many sapphires in them nabbed myself a 3 gram 15 carrot almost black looking blue one. Pretty bloody happy with that! big_smile Anyone know approx. cut worth of this???? & nice to meet you all!

Matty84 said:
Well, hello

My names Matt. I'll start by saying I'm a gold novice, though my old man has been an amature in the game longer than I'm old and on a recent fishing trip I took him on he brought along a pan as he wanted to have a looksee... Well after the lack if interest in my adolescence, I think the bug may have bit... A few hours of hogging the pan later and I had myself about 100specks and my first little nugget around 0.5g according to the boss man.... Hook line and sinker I suppose!!

Now how I came to the site, quite a common occurrence by the sounds of it, whilst scouring the net/YouTube looking at sluices, deciding on wether to buy or build one/differences between them, this same name kept coming up very frequently (wal nliz, if you hadn't guessed) whenever sluice was added and near on most searches containing the word 'gold'...

Now I want a Walbanker too....

Long story short, a lot of info kept stemming back to this site, along with that all too familiar name so I thought why not cut to the chase and join the source, first impressions seems a very friendly and knowledgable bunch of people here, so I hope to be able to contribute along the road to my riches...(or heartbreak)

Cheers, Matt

Welcome to the forum Matt. Getting that 100 specs and a small nugget to boot is a sure way to get that prospecting bug into the system. Once you get yourself into the High Banking scene that bug will become very contagious, and your nett surfing skills will gain you many sleepless nights with research.

There's many "Banker" configs out there and all do well in their specific locations. Just a matter of building one that suits your region, and once that's decided the real fun will begin. Plenty of guys on here with a large variety of sluice types and a wealth of experience, so if you need some comparisons just throw it out there to the members.

Good luck with it and look forward to talking amongst the threads,

Cheers Wal.

thebeans said:
Hi everyone I am 'the wife' aka Kerri..Just letting you know whilst hubby has gold fever... I bought 12 bags of dirt for $10 each & amongst the many sapphires in them nabbed myself a 3 gram 15 carrot almost black looking blue one. Pretty bloody happy with that! big_smile Anyone know approx. cut worth of this???? & nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the forum Kerri. Great to see some more hubby and wife combos on the forum. Nothing better than finding a sapphire or a few flakes of gold and sharing the thrill of the find over a cuppa at the end of the day. Sound like you hit the jackpot with those dirt bags, and by the description of the Sapphire it sounds like a good cutable stone.

Be keen to see a pic of it with a light shining through, as this will help the members with their advice concerning value. Just post it in the Gem Section and I'm sure you will get some responses.

All the very best of luck with the hobby and hope the forum adds to the enjoyment.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks to all that took the time to reply. I'd say I'm a pretty quick learner so hopefully I'll be able to add positive contributions to threads in the near future, and perhaps meet some of you that frequent Victoria, of anywhere else for that matter but the triangle is as close as an hours drive from me to its southern fringe so that's where the day trips will take me in the near future!

Thanks Lee perhaps you could just post some details of meetings on here for me cheers jan
rc62burke said:
rc62burke said:
heathcote said:
cheers jan.

cheers
Lee

Just noticed you have only 1 post you need 10 before you can use the pm

Latest posts