(SA) Metropolitain creeks

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Might be a completely silly newb question....

Wondering is anyone has bothered panning or even detecting in metro streams/dry creek beds?

I'm intrigued whether they may contain anything aside from leaches, spiders and pollution, due to travel washed down in heavy rains.

there is only one way to find out for sure.. get in there and start scratching around in the creeks ect :) there is a guy in newyork that makes a living from the sidewalks in the jewelry part of town.. :/

There's a mostly winter creek over my back fence, and a bit further down old settlers cottage and remnants probably early 1800's. Plan on making it my first relic hunting area but since the creek is right there can't hurt. Might end up with a couple of yabbies.

G'day Zorgs, at one time in the seventies, it was believed that gold was findable in the Onkaparinga.

Zorgs said:
Might be a completely silly newb question....

Wondering is anyone has bothered panning or even detecting in metro streams/dry creek beds?

I'm intrigued whether they may contain anything aside from leaches, spiders and pollution, due to travel washed down in heavy rains.

Hay Zorgs,
You must be a glutton for punishment if you'r thinking of detecting in a waterway near a metro area.
It's bad enough sorting through the rubbish in the bush where the population was/is considerably fewer and most items were either biodegradable or if metal were more or less reused.
In today's throw away society everything gets chucked out and a lot of it finds it's way to the nearest waterway.
I don't want to dissuade you from giving it a go and like what has been said before you never know what might be there.
Just make sure you wear your PPE and take a big dose of patience with you.

Latest posts