River sluice - Do you classify material or just shovel it in ?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to Warrandyte yesterday to try the bucket classifier and sluice, but with no luck as the creek had really slow flowing water. While digging I hit the clay bed and found some nice little pickers. :D When I learn how to post a picture I'll post it.

Golden Tiger said:
Went to Warrandyte yesterday to try the bucket classifier and sluice, but with no luck as the creek had really slow flowing water. While digging I hit the clay bed and found some nice little pickers. :D When I learn how to post a picture I'll post it.

Hay GT,
Were the pickers on top of the clay or mixed in it?

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I was just digging it up and classifying the dirt/bedrock and clay together. Then panning it out. I've often wondered if it worth while digging deep into clay, because gold being heavy, one would assume it would work its way into the clay. Can anyone clarify this point?

1383300068_20131031_183317-1.jpg

My takings yesterday from Warrandyte.

Weight: Unknown

Golden Tiger said:
Honestly I couldn't tell you. I was just digging it up and classifying the dirt/bedrock and clay together. Then panning it out. I've often wondered if it worth while digging deep into clay, because gold being heavy, one would assume it would work its way into the clay. Can anyone clarify this point?

That's a nice show there GT :D

Generally it is believed that gold will not penetrate clay and just sit on the top.
But my question is, what if the clay formed after the some of the gold was deposited? I have this delemer at the moment.
I have cleaned out a very deep crevice down to a thick layer of sticky grey clay. The clay is about 12" deep and I'm wondering if it's worth my while processing the clay at the bottom of this crevice.
I might start a new thread and pose the question.

That would be a good question to ask. I find, after taking off the top 2 inches of clay, there will still be gold in the next 3 inchs or so. Im curious as to how deep you should dig into clay as well. I dont want to spend hours breaking up clay for minimal returns.

Stop digging when the gold stops! keep digging if the gold keeps coming. Also I don't have to classify if im throwing paydirt into my Walbanker. It will take brick size rocks and sometimes a nice big rock will have nice gold stuck to its sides. Why throw this aside?

Peter

Latest posts