Replacing Batteries

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal

Rodney
Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased a second hand mine lab GP Extreme and it came with VBF950 and says replace with a NP-F970 7.4V li-ion 6000mAh battery. Hasn't been used in years but still works well. Was thinking of buying a replacement as it looks quite old and if I go on a camping fossicking trip id like to know I have a new one on hand.
My question is should I replace it with the NP-F970 exactly with the 6000mAH, 7.4V as stated or would I be better off getting something else that may have more capacity and last longer. There are many options out there and I am a bit confused. Also don't want to blow up the machine.

coiltek sell the sony type batteries for the older gp detectors .I set one up using lipo 12v 7400 ah regulated to 6.8 v worked great all day on a 5500ah it only lasted for 4 to 5 hours.

is it true that as long as the battery you are substituting is the same voltage, you can use a higher capacity (higher Ah) battery than the original one?

I used 12 v and regulatored it to take it back to 6.6v on the extreme ,on a sd 2000 2100 or 2200 you can use a 7.4 volt battery but i prefer to use a 12v battery and regulate it back to the voltage you want to run , from memory the extreme 3000 and 3500 were regulated in the detector

old hand said:
I used 12 v and regulatored it to take it back to 6.6v on the extreme ,on a sd 2000 2100 or 2200 you can use a 7.4 volt battery but i prefer to use a 12v battery and regulate it back to the voltage you want to run , from memory the extreme 3000 and 3500 were regulated in the detector
thanks I do have a coil tek regulated system gadget on the side where I can switch from 6.7 to 7.3 vlts so looks like I can use a higher voltage and the system will regulate it down. thanks, just learning about it all before I hit the bush. ill try the beach today with kids.

This is a great little lithium ion battery for the older units.
It has a built in amp so you don't need a booster. I have only ever seen it at prospectors patch.

1588985117_p1010052.jpg

1588985117_p1010051.jpg

1588985118_p1010050.jpg

Ded Driver said:
you can go up to 7.4V without issues
The AmpHour rating wont hurt your machine ... that only determines how long it will run for

'DD' I never understood why people want to run a detector at 7.4 volts.
The li-ion battery in my previous post is regulated at 6.4 volts and my detector runs flawlessly without putting it under any stress.

Latest posts