Reality TV Show For Us

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Dose any one know of a budding tv producer/film maker that is interested in making a reality tv show on prospecting, fossicking, the idea is to travel to different parts of australia meeting up with PA members and filming on how, where, what they are prospecting, what tools they use, what places they look for gold and gems, coin shooting, relic hunting,throw in a camping segment, DIY section and other ideas members come up with to make it an funny, enjoyable informative programme.
I have a spare bed, seat at the dinner table, and free travel for anyone who is interested in making this proposed show.
You will need your own filming gear, and you will be on a 2/2 roster, i cant pay you to much, near on broke as it is, but hey, im willing to throw in my own coin, and anything else i can raise, so come on, lets give it a fair dinkum aussie crack. ;)

There was some interest from a producer in Sydney a year or so ago for a few of us. Most turned them down as we don't want the crap happening here as happened overseas with these shows. Fly under the radar always (with our hobby) and you will have more places to detect and more finds.

Dutchy (Jarhead)

Dutchy said:
There was some interest from a producer in Sydney a year or so ago for a few of us. Most turned them down as we don't want the crap happening here as happened overseas with these shows. Fly under the radar always (with our hobby) and you will have more places to detect and more finds.

Dutchy (Jarhead)

So i have to ask, why such the big deal about flying under the radar, there is a greater chance of opening up new areas if our hobby is seen as, fun, enjoyable way to get out and about wether that be with mates, friends or family. Its also a cheaper way to spend time out, add up the costs of a fishing boat or a motocross bike.
Saying that flying under the radar means we will have more places to detect will soon be a thing of the past, they may have opend up some new areas in victoria for detecting and panning but what about the guys n gals that choose to sluice, they have a right to do their style of prospecting as well as the detectorists.
I understand the situation where people like to keep their gold finds secret (by flying under the radar) and thats fine i dont have a problem with that, but with the current problems victorians are facing with the proposed ban on sluicing, it wont take long for this to spread to other states, the biggest problem we face is the unknown, if people dont know or understand what it is we do and how we do it, they fear it will cause unrepairable damage so they wont stand for it. dig a hole in a creek and sluice for gold, after the next rain session the evidence is gone, dig a hole in the bush whilst out detecting and it can rain 10times the amount the creek gets and you can still some evidence of that hole, so how long do you think the detecting side of prospecting has until the greens jump on that band wagon.
I am not having a dig at you mate its good to have pro's and cons to both sides of a story. ;)

The exponential growth in prospecting is evident just by driving around any gold bearing areas on any given day. Some of the localised areas say 10 years ago that were the realm of a casual detectorist are now frequented by multiple waves of people. Forums like this encourage people into prospecting and their evolution toward becoming a regular prospector proficient in many forms and localities. The point being if it continues every beach in Australia, and many Towns and areas will be frequented by multiple parties all pursuing the same result and enjoyment. This is likely to occur regardless of the active promotion of such pursuits, just as say fishing is regardless of how many fishing shows are shown on tv. Taking a pro active approach will hopefully mitigate any negative and reckless involvement, and open up new possibilities for the wider community. Perhaps I'm biassed, i like to share and recruit new people to the pursuit, but overall more people enjoying an outdoor pastime in a responsible manner can't really be a bad thing can it.

This does sound like fun I have to admit but I do worry a show like this in Australia
could set off any ideas for banning detecting in parks by some councils.

I look at this as a way of getting a bargain. You put on a show thousand of people get interested, they start buying detectors , pans , sluices etc and after a while like most hobbies and some new craze, lots of people decide its not for them, its too much work, or too far to go and all of a sudden there will be hundreds of prospecting equipment out there people don't want anymore. New prices will drop because of the competition to sell "hardly used , like new " stuff on ebay, gumtree etc and as mentioned above we might get some new areas opened up as well. So its a win win situation. ;)

I was mainly referring to coin/relic hunting as I really don't know about gold hunting. In the US and England there has been a large number of beginners buying detectors and hitting the parks and fields in a new 'craze'. While the majority of these are serious and responsible people some are not. These few will be the ones that go out and buy a cheap detector, dig large holes in the parks/ovals with picks (like some idiots here have done already) or shovels. More attention that the hobby re coin/relic hunting gets will mean that councils and others will start to take notice. Banning will follow shortly after I'm afraid. I'm all for a show but I think any producer will 'Hollywood' it to gain popularity and ethics would be challenged (fake finds and such).

I've always flew under the radar and I guess that's why I get permission to hunt quite a number of areas for coins/relics. It's only in the past 2 years that I have even shared my finds with others in the community through the forums and magazines.

Wolfau said:
This does sound like fun I have to admit but I do worry a show like this in Australia
could set off any ideas for banning detecting in parks by some councils.
A fair point Wolfau, a show would take a huge amount of planning and issue's like this would have to be taken into account, but what a bloody show she would be.
The offer still stands, im in stones and ALL :D

Just kidding guys but that does sound like a good idea.. it may get rid of any myths about how we supposedly damage the environment.. if it requires prospectors with a full head of hair I'm afraid I'm out :eek: :D

No Todd Hoffmans!!!!!!
Tony Beets from the Klondike/ dwt from the Eppalock
YEAH BOY!!! :D

1402042254_images-optimized.jpg

.............................................OR.....................................

1402042380_windows_photo_gallery_wallpaper_-_copy-optimized.jpg

SMOOOOOOOOKIN :eek:

Tony is better looking. Surely it shouldn't be to hard to do a few cameos, there's quite a few old hands out there with instantly recognisable faces, how about an Alby Mangles type adventure with stop offs at the beaches parks and Goldfields over the country....that's a show I would watch.

Goldtarget said:
Tony is better looking. Surely it shouldn't be to hard to do a few cameos, there's quite a few old hands out there with instantly recognisable faces, how about an Alby Mangles type adventure with stop offs at the beaches parks and Goldfields over the country....that's a show I would watch.

GOLDTARGET...................im hurt mate 8.(

Ahh, the old Montague Police station, across the road from the Golden Fleece Hotel, sadly both gone.
I worked there for ayear or so.

Latest posts