RE New Engels,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got an email from the UK Engel dealer telling me that he had a new lot of stock come in, Anyways I asked him if he had the Black MT45-MT-V models, and his answer was that the MT-V models are only for Australia, And are they still making the normal MT45-P Platinum series or are they going to stop making them,

Can someone check for me Via Engel World or whom ever and see if that is true because I have been jerked about by this guy before which is why I went with ARB back 4 years ago,

Thanks Guys, :Y:

J.

The black MT-V Engel models have completely replaced the previous Platinum series here in Australia, with dealers clearing out the last of their Platinum stock with discounted prices (about $250 off regular prices!) The differences are pretty minor and the RRP is similar.

FYI, there's a new, black, Series 3 version of the Waeco CFX out here now, which are completely redesigned (bigger, lighter), and I suspect Engel are desperately trying to keep pace.

New Engel MT-V45 (40 litre, with lockable catch, side-reinforced wire basket and corner bumpers, 24kg):
1593029769_mt-v45f.jpg

New Waeco CFX3 45 model (46 litre, now with a fully-wrapped evaporator plate - no more 'cool storage' section and only 18.7kg):
1593029492_cfx3_45.jpg

grubstake said:
The black MT-V Engel models have completely replaced the previous Platinum series here in Australia, with dealers clearing out the last of their Platinum stock with discounted prices (about $250 off regular prices!) The differences are pretty minor and the RRP is similar.

FYI, there's a new, black, Series 3 version of the Waeco CFX out here now, which are completely redesigned (bigger, lighter), and I suspect Engel are desperately trying to keep pace.

New Engel MT-V45 (40 litre, with lockable catch, side-reinforced wire basket and corner bumpers, 24kg):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1593029769_mt-v45f.jpg

New Waeco CFX3 45 model (46 litre, now with a fully-wrapped evaporator plate - no more 'cool storage' section and only 18.7kg):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4012/1593029492_cfx3_45.jpg

Thanks Grub,

The dealer told me the Black Engels are only for the Australian market, when the Platinum series came out he tried to sell me the older model so it looks like he's trying it again,

He wants to charge me $1275.18c for the MT45-P which is the platinum series and $336.70c for the transit bag So that's $1611.88c plus another 40 bucks for delivery = $1651.88c.

Back in February I went to the big camping expo up north and they had the CFX3 series on show, They are nice but so far they seem to be the most unreliable fridge on the market, Loads of people are having troubles with them not cooling down enough where they won't go below -3*c and there is an issue with the APP where the Power in the Lead seems ok but the power in the fridge according to the App seems to read anything from 1.1v to about 1.6v too Low,

One bloke bought one and had to send it back so Dometic sent him another one and when it turned up they actually sent him one that another customer had sent back with the same problem because they left the list of faults that the customer had written inside the fridge, This past week I know of about 5 or 6 people who have had problems and had to send their CFX3's back, Seems like these new ones are a Lemon,

J.

Ridge Runner said:
The dealer told me the Black Engels are only for the Australian market, when the Platinum series came out he tried to sell me the older model so it looks like he's trying it again,

He wants to charge me $1275.18c for the MT45-P which is the platinum series and $336.70c for the transit bag So that's $1611.88c plus another 40 bucks for delivery = $1651.88c.

J.

RR, Why do you need so many fridges, are you a compulsive buyer?
Engels last 30+ years, if your 's are burning a hole in your pocket you can instead, donate to the "Nightjar Retirement Fund." :inlove: :lol:

Nightjar said:
Ridge Runner said:

J.

RR, Why do you need so many fridges, are you a compulsive buyer?
Engels last 30+ years, if your 's are burning a hole in your pocket you can instead, donate to the "Nightjar Retirement Fund." :inlove: :lol:

No I'm not a compulsive buyer, I got sick and was stuck indoors for nearly 3 years then I had the heart bypass and that bailed be up for over another year, then I started the Camper build and then some bright spark invented CV-19 and I have been locked up for another 4+ months or more, So I needed something to help pass the time, That's nearly 5 years in total, I could of got less for Manslaughter, lolol :lol: :lol: :lol: :beer: :beer:

condor22 said:
BTW RR

The Engel MT45-P is $1299 incl the transit cover at Snowys Outdoors. It's a long long drive and swim for you to take advantage. :)

Thanks mate, I can get the MT-45 at a reasonable price but the cost of the Bag really ramps up the price plus the delivery costs,

The only brand that comes with the Bag is Snomaster and there is no way would I buy another one of them Not when they can chew up to 60Ah Plus in temps of 16*c.

National Luna only charge $108.00 for their bag, ARB charge about $282.00 for theirs, And it turns out that National Luna who are the most expensive brand on the market have the cheapest Accessories, which brings companies like ARB to around the same cost as N/L,

Dometic are trying to sell off all their old stock, but the new CFX3 series are full of problems,

I am thinking of just buying the Engel MT45-P and forgetting about the bag,

I'm still trying to get that 35L Snomaster to match the results I have seen in tests but it is impossible even in the UK cold weather and now The Temps are in the high 20's Low 30's there is no chance on earth is this thing not going to eat batteries, So while its warm I might do a quick 24hr test, It's a constant 25*c indoors so I will set it to 3*c in the Auto power mode and see what it does :N: :N: :N: :N: :N:

Ridge Runner said:

RR, When I bought my 39L "Old Yellow" back in '83 there were no bags available.
A friend using canvas and a woolen blanket for an inner liner, sewed me a bag that is still going strong. One warmday I observed, with the lid cover peeled back you could see the temperature rise before your eyes.

Nightjar said:
Ridge Runner said:

RR, When I bought my 39L "Old Yellow" back in '83 there were no bags available.
A friend using canvas and a woolen blanket for an inner liner, sewed me a bag that is still going strong. One warmday I observed, with the lid cover peeled back you could see the temperature rise before your eyes.

Thanks NJ, well do you think it is worth the extra bucks and get the cover ? I'm not impressed with the blue ARB cover because fridges sweat and I noticed a damp patch on the underside so I removed the cover and let it Air to dry it out, I am not sure that the damp was not caused by the drain plug, It does not leak but I have not seen condensation anywhere on the fridge even in these cooler climes,

J.

goody2shoes said:
I am going to save up and buy a Engel and buy a cover at the same time

Goody

Sounds like a plan :Y: There are other fridges that are good but do we really need all that extra BS that they are now putting on them, I think Not, The last model Dometic CFX was a good fridge but then they went and changed it making the CFX3 series and it's all gone pear shaped. The little Dometic CDF-18 is a great little fridge and has the same sort of controls as the Engel with no LED readout, and I personally think that type of setup that Engel invented years ago is all we need, It's a fridge it makes stuff cold that's It,

There's only 2 medium size fridges that I would recommend and they are the Engel MT-45 and the ARB 47L Blue series and I would forget the Black and grey series because they have given it a load of crap it don't need,

When it comes to big/Large fridges The ARB 78L is Awesome having the bigger compressor is cools pretty quickly and holds a lot and having the duel zone allows it to be set to -10 /-12*c and still keep food unfrozen in the dairy area, Out of all the fridges I have played with it is my favourite, where as Sometimes with the 47L I have needed a bit more room, The 60L would of been a good choice and it shares the same compressor as the 47L which means it will use a bit less power compared to the 78L,

When it comes to Big Fridges I think the ARB 78L all the way, because it is a fair bit lighter than others on the market and when any of these big fridges are loaded up they are not light because they can hold up to and over 60kgs of food and drink and then you got the weight of the fridge to add to that, So they are best placed in the vehicle and loaded up the day before the planned trip.

But for now when it comes to medium fridges I think Engel is the way to go, don't ask me why but that's what I'm thinking at the moment.

RR The insulated bag does 2 things.

1. It insulates - If the weather in the UK is anything like it was when I grew up there as a kid, it's not really needed. Here in Oz is a different matter. Wouldn't use a fridge in a car without one. Even got a cover on the brass Monkey.

2. It helps protect your investment, but not a necessity.

In my instance, I bought a cover with the Engel 27 years ago, which is why it still looks the same as when I bought it. :)

A lot to be said for the good old Evacool Fridgemates :Y:

Tough as nails, made in Aust and don't need a bag

condor22 said:
RR The insulated bag does 2 things.

1. It insulates - If the weather in the UK is anything like it was when I grew up there as a kid, it's not really needed. Here in Oz is a different matter. Wouldn't use a fridge in a car without one. Even got a cover on the brass Monkey.

2. It helps protect your investment, but not a necessity.

In my instance, I bought a cover with the Engel 27 years ago, which is why it still looks the same as when I bought it. :)

It was 32.6 here yesterday and now at mid day it's 31* and climbing and they say it should reach 33* this afternoon,

I agree about the covers, I don't want my fridges to get knocked about,

Jaros said:
They protect the shell of the fridges nicely-i agree. :perfect:

Yeah I am looking forward to getting the Engel and I do like the bags on them, I think they might make them sweat though.

Latest posts