Raining gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wally69 said:
Danny13 said:
Wally69 said:
Nice handful Danny :cool: Looks like you have a few good cutters

What district did you pull those ones from?

Cains hinterland Wally ,about 2 years ago , picked a jar full and forgot about them until this post

Darn, was hoping for NSW, sounds a heck of a lot easier than trying to cut them out of the host rock :D :lol: :D :rainbow:
Looked like someone had hit them out of the basalt with a hammer because there are a bit shard like ? How do you harvest them Wally?

The ones I have found have been in geode-like voids or embedded in the matrix of the rock.

Most of the geode stones are weathered but there is the odd one or two large crystals that pluck away. I havent extracted one from the host rock yet but have a couple that are quite heavily speckled and I will finely slice at some day to see if I can get one to act as a window in the native rock. Thinking a cabbed pendant with central peridot feature would look cool.

I had intended sieving the creek below the spot I found my last lot but heavy rain cut short the trip. Cant see why they would not have washed down and accumulated.

Will have to keep a look out for those dinosaur poo-shaped bombs they get down in Mortlake, would be nice if similar are to be found. I like the thought of finding one the size of a car.

Latest posts