Question on auto tracking on SDC....

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrob

Rob
Reaction score
A question to the more knowledgeable/ experienced members on the SDC.
I have been reading & learning as much on my detector as I can & I have read that the auto tracking cancels out emi & interference from mineralized ground.
Could the auto tracking also cancel out small feint targets that you continue to swing over when trying to pin point the exact position?
I have noticed a couple of times that I sometimes hear/think I hear a target but after going back & checking more carefully (longer) the target seems to disappear.
Am I imaging these feint responses or is my SDC auto tracking the target out?
Rob.

To check a target come in at it from different angles.
A good target will respond each time.
Ground noise will mostly disappear.

from the book
1434332824_bal.jpg

Yes, the SDC will track out a small target after a number of swipes. When I'm struggling to pinpoint tiny pieces of about 0.05 g, I often ground-balance the detector away from the target, and get a clearer signal.
I've never had issues with pieces larger than about 0.1 grams.

I'm with mfdes. You definitely CAN loose (balance out) a small target by not swinging away. But remember swing low and level. Don't hold the coil over the target. I've also found that when i get tired and start swinging the coil in a pendulum fashion (as opposed to flat from side to side)i sometimes get a false signal when the detector swings up. If you're not concentrating you can mistake this for a signal.

Hi Hotrob
Yes mate like the others have said the SDC will balance out a feint target signal, just keep this in mind & if you need to take a few more swings over the target to pin point, you need to swing the coil away to the side & do a manual balance via the green button, It really is subtle, but you really need to tune yourself to the subtle responses to ensure you don't miss a nugget! most targets the SDC will give a great response, you just have to listen well & concentrate.
cheers
Lee

hotrob I dont ground balance too often . But if u do move off the target area before you do ground balance. Dont forget to scratch the top soil off with your boot over the target area .sometimes doing this can show a good target or if its ground noise.It takes time to get to know the detector. If the ground is too noisy you may have to reduce the sensitivity or learn ways of telling if its ground noise or a target. I still dig ground noise every time i go out , at least once every day . With the SDC dig every target. . I just got back from 5 days detecting and the smallest target which was .026 grams at aprox 25mm sounded like a buck shot signal.and a .3 gram which sounded like steel the signal broke up while over the target aprox 50mm .I take a small gold sample to test the coil a few times a day to make sure i havent done something stupid and canceled out gold in my actions or by pushing the wrong button at the wrong time. keep detecting the SDC does a good job on the gold.

Latest posts