Question for the tradesmen..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before any work starts it would be wise to go over the whole area with a Damp Meter inside and out then you will know how far it has spread and where the most moisture is as well as the overall damage,

You can get them fairly cheap and it will save you removing bits that don't need to come off which will save you money in the long run, :Y:

OldGT said:
If they are metal mate shouldnt be an issue to do a bit of an inspection for ingress, had they been fibro I would have suggested starting a search from the interior walls whilst someone else sprays a bit of water around.

By my reckoning theres two distict problems, ingress and mould, neither which I envy you to have to attend to. Odds on you will have to pull floor coverings and internal sheet anyway, might not hurt to start there.

Whether the mould is a result of pooling creating a wicking rise or creeping rot through bearers or skirts will only be answered when you locate the source of damp entering, should be quick to spot whatever is causing it once you start having a look external or internal.
Thanks Bob
I have to take up the old carpet Anyway, as its been in the house since I bought it back in 2007 and it needs to be replaced in the 3 bedrooms , the hall way and the lounge room.
Will be a good time to inspect the floorboards and bottom of the skirting boards where the mould is on the walls and if needed allow any where that is damp to dry out or be replaced before laying down new carpet..

Hopefully after I have found where the moisture is getting in and fixed that, Ill only need to replace a wall sheet in each of the 2 bedrooms where mould was present..

Your bottom plate and the bottom of the vertical wall framing (studs I think they call them) may be rotten too. I had this problem where the shower leaked under the wall. If you are going to replace the plaster anyway punch a few holes in it near the skirting boards and check the condition of plate n studs.

Im pretty sure that's an old James Hardie product.... And yes it will contain Asbestos. Asbestos was used up to 2000 in House products... Try a small magnet to see if its metal... Looks like some sheets have very small cracks on the 'Folds'... If so a 'Black Jack' product will seal that, then re-paint...

Thought about Covering the whole side wall with a New cladding?... Don't touch the Asbestos sheet, Just cover it with new stuff...

LW...

I'm an ex pro tiler, vertical face to horizontal floor with no fall let's water sit and degrade what ever you use to seal.
Bevil edges to create fall..

And..
I'm guessing the ph of the water that's sitting there is altered by everything and possibly accelerating rott..

Spent the last few days at the house and moved in a load of furnitures so that we can rent it finished once the repairs are finished.
Also spent a good amount of time going over the whole place.
The mould is in just one room and seems to be from an issue with the aluminum window being improperly install in the past.
Getting that sorted and also going to remove all the interior wall sheets and have them replace.
Also going to install insulation in the ceiling and both wall cavities before sheets are replaced along with a few coats of bathroom paint ..

Latest posts