Quartz rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys I found this quartz’s rock in a creek i was at today, has some cool crystals in it and want to break it apart. Any tips on how to break it open?

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 2
Hey guys I found this quartz’s rock in a creek i was at today, has some cool crystals in it and want to break it apart. Any tips on how to break it open?
Carefully! Whatever you hit it with, wear safety glasses in case it shatters and some pieces go towards your eyes.

Last edited:
Hi Goldenprospector.
Do you have an angle grinder? Buy a diamond edged wheel (not overly dear and useful for other things as well) and cut a decent groove along the area you would like it to split. Make sure you are able to hold the rock immobile while doing that.
Then release it and locate a wedge or sacrificial chisel in the groove and give it a good whack.
Maybe even you may want to cut it all the way through but then a natural split maybe better. Your gamble.
Chances are it might split where you want rather than splinter into bits.
Only other suggestion make some friends in a rockhounds club with access to a slab saw.

i have tried just giving it a good whack with the hammer and also hawkear's method groove and chisel
but either way watch out for murpy sitting on your shoulders or it could end up in tears (which has happened to me on occasions)
if you have a lapidary club close by then i would get them to cut it out
if not watch out for murpy

Latest posts