QED

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davent said:
Last few trips I started in mode 5, gain 1.
Ended up in mode 8/gain 1.
Tried mode 10, but it didn't even see a tack on the surface, so went back to 8.
Still get false targets and high GB readings.
Its more to do with the ground than anything else.
A lot of the gold where my mates with zeds do well, is in red clay, with large dolerite rocks, rounded and about the size of cricket balls to footballs and larger, they are in HY difficult and still get false targets, but find gold, sometimes 3/-4/inches under a footy sized lump of dolerite.
The other problem is laterite, talk about hot rocks!

That's no good you can't get the gain up, makes sense. I recently found the first place I've struggled to get rid of false signals in Vic, an acre of surfacing on some hot clay and running an 11" elite, like you say it was just too sensitive for that spot.
I've borrowed a 14" and I'll go back there next weekend to see if it runs it a bit better.
Everywhere else I've tried it runs excellent but my ground sounds a lot tamer than yours, hot rocks are no fun.

What I've gleaned from reading all this is that the QED is NOT the simple turn on and go machine that was touted ! :N: :N:

I remember Doug telling us all how " complicated " the Minelab machines are, but it is clear that this thing is in a league of it's own when it comes to complicated ! :( :(

Whatever happened to that promised $600 price tag ?? :N:

I'll stick with my Minelab hoovers, at least they work as advertised, and have a 3 year warranty to boot ! :Y: :Y:

Rick

Araratgold said:
What I've gleaned from reading all this is that the QED is NOT the simple turn on and go machine that was touted ! :N: :N:

I remember Doug telling us all how " complicated " the Minelab machines are, but it is clear that this thing is in a league of it's own when it comes to complicated ! :( :(

I'll stick with my Minelab hoovers, at least they work as advertised, and have a 3 year warranty to boot ! :Y: :Y:

Rick
It's not a pissing competition mate. ;) no one is stopping you using your preferred maker of detector. And I honestly think the qed is not that hard to use, you just have to unlearn all the other crap learnt using other brands of Detector on setup.. I'm using a 4500 this weekend and if I wasn't lucky enough to bump into an old timer out here that has helped me out heaps with the GPX I reckon it would have taken me almost as long to learn to use. Get a hole in one and have a play you might enjoy it.. dealing with an open mind it help :)

Cando said:
Araratgold said:

Rick
It's not a pissing competition mate. ;) no one is stopping you using your preferred maker of detector. And I honestly think the qed is not that hard to use, you just have to unlearn all the other crap learnt using other brands of Detector on setup.. I'm using a 4500 this weekend and if I wasn't lucky enough to bump into an old timer out here that has helped me out heaps with the GPX I reckon it would have taken me almost as long to learn to use. Get a hole in one and have a play you might enjoy it.. dealing with an open mind it help :)

Nothing to do with a pissing competition, but everything to do with all the crap that was spruiked for many years about this " Minelab beater " by the #### crew.
How it was going to be better than a 4500 at a $600 price point, how simple to use and ergonomic it was going to be, blah blah !
Seems to me, and many others, that it has not delivered on any of those long touted promises, at 3 times the original price point :N: :N:

Rick

Araratgold said:

Rick
It's not all that complicated at all. It is very different to what most of us have been used to when operating Minelab machines & it is those of us that are used to various Minelab's that seem to struggle most initially.
Agree with Cando you need an open mind - unfortunately when it comes to any other brand of detector we are usually a closed minded bunch. The QED has passed my expectations of it. For the price it's very competitive & comparable to other brands. Each to their own but I won't have a $9k or $5k detector sitting idle for long periods so made a choice based on that - I'm good with that choice :D

Araratgold said:
Cando said:
Araratgold said:

Rick

Nothing to do with a pissing competition, but everything to do with all the crap that was spruiked for many years about this " Minelab beater " by the Doug crew.
How it was going to be better than a 4500 at a $600 price point, how simple to use and ergonomic it was going to be, blah blah !
Seems to me, and many others, that it has not delivered on any of those long touted promises, at 3 times the original price point :N: :N:

Rick
Let the past go mate. This thread is not about that but about a group of us using it & learning from each other NOW! Don't like the QED well bugger off & read something else bloke!! :p

Cando said:
Lol Rick open mind mate, open your mind you might learn something..

Noel, my mind is fully open, and I have used a number of different brands over many years, including Whites, Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Garrett and even a Goldscan 5C, but always the Minelab's have won out.

When it comes to chasing gold, I want the best there is, and that is Minelab :Y: :Y:

Rick

I can understand the people connected with the QED being excited with all it's possibilities early on in the piece, over stating their claims but who wouldn't when things start coming together after many years hard work, The point is it does work and works well, Every detector made has a learning curve, there is not one detector out there that can totally replace another because they all have their magic tricks regardless of their brand and they all have their faults and short comings,

I think with the new software and the funky new control box the QED is quite a likeable machine,

J.

Araratgold said:
Nothing to do with a pissing competition, but everything to do with all the crap that was spruiked for many years about this " Minelab beater " by the #### crew.

With a package weight of 1.8 kg as pictured, there's no denying that the QED absolutely delivers for superior ergonomics:
1507504704_qed_detech_pl2a.jpg

As to the rest of the claims, it has to be said that the QED team are their own worst enemies - then and now - when it comes to marketing. Minelab bashing isn't even interesting for the majority of prospectors, but if you've got a cheap, effective, easy-handling machine to offer, we're all ears.

Araratgold said:

Rick

Its not complicated at all, and its a good machine in the majority of situations.
It has some great advantages over my GPX as well as some disadvantages, like all machines, fors and againsts.
The QED does work as advertised.

For the record, I will be selling my GPX 4500 as well, as it suffers similar problems on the same ground.
The ZED also suffers similar problems, however, handles the ground noise better than both the QED and GPX which allows those targets to stand out a little better than either machines mentioned.

As for $600......Impossible, but at around $2000 with everything you need (including a flat wound coil,another $500 or so) , its a bloody good alternative for those who just can't find the $3500 + $500 more for a flat wound coil......so 50% the cost of a 4500, with about 85-90% capability of the 4500.

Think you just wanted to a boot in to an Aussie who is having a go....tall poppy, cut it down.

It's not complicated at all, pick a mode, gb, set bias, adjust gain or volume if you feel the need. Once you find a setting you like it is just turn on and go as it saves the settings.
I see minelabs have things like normal, enhance, fine gold, then you have rx gain, target volume, threshold then you can set the swing speed etc. I've hardly used a minelab so for me that sounds complicated but I'm sure it's not. Learning the machine is half the fun, if you have no interest in learning and just want to swing then buy an sdc.

I often wonder how much better the QED would have been received if it just appeared on the market with no history behind it, just a new local built detector with a good price.

Down here at the Bash I met Bugwhiskers.
Nice Bloke.
I finally had a chance to see the machine in all
it's glory as in the photo above.
Ergonomically I found it was not a problem to
hold and about on par with any detector around.
Like all products, This machine will evolve over time.
I quite liked it in fact. :Y: :Y:
I did take a few photo's to put up in here but someone
has beaten me to it. :D
As a Moderator as well, I agree with Heatho
and I myself will not tolerate any slinging match's at all.
Constructive criticism both good and bad
from actual users is always welcome.
Leave the crap out of here. ]:D

OK back on topic!! Has anyone out there used either the detech 15 x 10" MONO coil or 18 x 12" MONO Elliptical coil on there QEDs?

Araratgold said:
Cando said:
Araratgold said:

Rick

Rick

Rick, you must remember that there were a lot of setbacks due to rogue friends doing the dirty on Bugwhiskers and then the legal battle that came.
So things didn't go as planned thanks to you know who!!!
So overall, Bugs has salvaged what he could.
And there you have it, the QED we see today. :Y:
By the way, the original price tag from memory was $1000
And that was just for the control box.

Cando said:
OK back on topic!! Has anyone out there used either the detech 15 x 10" MONO coil or 18 x 12" MONO Elliptical coil on there QEDs?

Can't help you out Cando in regards to those Detech coils on the QED, wish I could.
Weight wise the 15" x 10" is slightly lighter at around 20grams and near on the same price wise as the 11" Ultra price, well brand new price that is. And the 18" x 12" weight wise is around 210grams lighter as well cheaper than the 14" Elite, again as in brand new price.

Most of the coils I have are Nuggetfinders with only one being an Evo.
It seems so far from what I have been reading that Detech Ultras and Coiltek Elites are to go for the QED.

I wonder how many out there are having success with the normal bundle wound coils on the QED instead of these flat wound or so called spiral wound?

I have just borrowed a 14" elite and had a quick play with it last night and compared it to an older 16" nugget finder advantage. Using it in my back yard the first thing I noticed was heaps less emi with the 14" elite, I was easily able to find a shotgun pellet in my little paddock close to power lines, I then put on the nugget finder advantage and it couldn't hear the pellet at any height unless you waved it right over the winding, the elite could pick it up at least 3 inches above. NFA was probably 3/4 height of the elite on a little .22 bullet but the signal was so much sharper on the elite. The biggest bullet I have is a .50cal 400grain slug and it was about the same height between the two but again the elite was so much sharper and much less likely to confuse with ground noise at depth.
The one thing the nfa won was the weight, it's only about 800grams so would still have use as a good patch finder that won't wear you out, but apart from that if I buy a 14" elite I'd never use it again.

Latest posts