QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fairness to Howard, and in case I have somehow botched the test, this morning I have taken down the QED video until we can do some testing together next week.

PS Howard, I have not " avoided " using larger targets, I just don't have any, having sold all my nuggets. As you know, I have found them up to 39 ounces with the ZED, but you just can't leave these lying around the house !

Also, you don't need to go and buy a camera, as mine does a good enough job !

Rick

I'm looking forward to seeing that Rick, anyone who spends time away from detecting to run tests and comparisons for the good of the public knowledge has my respect and thanks, without them we would have a much smaller pool of knowledge to learn from and to base our decisions upon.

Araratgold said:
PS Howard, I have not " avoided " using larger targets, I just don't have any, having sold all my nuggets. As you know, I have found them up to 39 ounces with the ZED, but you just can't leave these lying around the house !

Rick

Wow a 39ozer Rick,if that was the size, congratulations and well done.

If so may I ask at what depth that was detected and with what coil on your GPZ?

Thanks,
Robert

Gidday Robert,

Standard GPZ14 coil at 16 inches, which is not deep for a large target.
It boomed in so loud through the boosted speakers it nearly blew my eardrums, like a tin can near the surface ! :)

Rick

1526000130_copy_1230_gram_gpz_slug_15_july_15.jpg

Now that is one impressive piece of gold.

Goodness you could buy at least 7 GPZs at today's gold price or more depending on what someone is willing to pay.

Thanks again and for the pic.

Robert

dasenator777 said:
A QUOTE FROM ANOTHER USER ON ANOTHER FORUM...NOW HE KNOWS HOW TO GET THE BEST OUT OF QED, IVE TRIED IT NOW AND BUGS CONFIRMS ALSO....Re: QED Information
Post Jarrodt6 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:40 pm

Been a while and I'm still swinging my QED, having young kids doesn't allow me to get out much. I'm up to about 10 pieces for 4 grams, not a huge amount but happy enough since I only get out once or twice a month.
One major improvement was the sennhieser rs160 headphones, the extra volume and not ripping out the cord when you're digging is night and day better, worth every cent.
I still fiddle with the settings every time I go out but that's more out of interest than anything else. At the moment if the ground allows I'm running the volume really high at around 70-80 and you almost get a solid threshold and hear every little noise, you have to keep the bias neutral to do this but my tests have proved I get better depth this way than a low bias/low mode approach.
I did recently run into the first ground that seemed too noisy for mine, shallow surfacing with a lot of clay. I've done other areas like this fine but this place had me getting false signals every few meters, I'm putting it down to the 11" elite being super sensitive and I'm looking at getting a bigger coil like the 14" because I'm not really after sub .1g that the 11" can find and it should run smoother.

In my opinion looking on other forums about the QED too much attention is given to the modes and the bias, I pretty much run mine in mode 8 and use the other settings to get the sensitivity. People say they get better tests in mode 1 than in mode 8etc, but mode 8 runs much quieter so now you can up your gain and up your volume like you can't in mode 1. Of course if you leave mode 8 with gain at 1 it will lose sensitivity.
Right now I run mode 8, gain 4-5, bias neutral and volume 70-80. If it's a bit noisy I bring the volume down first to as low as 30, then the gain. If it's runs really quiet I up the gain to 6, if it can handle more I go down to mode 7, then 6 etc but I never run my gain under 3, I see too many running low modes with gain under 3 and I don't think this is good, get the gain up higher in a higher mode, I get less ground noise this way.

Recently while having a break we set up a couple of tests with a .2 and 1 gram while stopping for lunch. The other detectors were a gpx 4500 with older 11" coiltek mono and a gpx4000 with 14" elite. I was happy that I could match both on the 1 gram and they both agreed I had the edge on the .2 over the 4500, no doubt the elite coil vs terracotta helped.
The difference we noticed was that the QED's signal is much easier to hear but it drops off quickly as it reaches its max depth while the minelabs gently faded into the slight woo-hoo.

I still didn't feel I had the best detector but it was certainly close, and for half the price, much less weight, no cables and the satisfaction I put it all together myself how I wanted I was happy.
The only time it fell behind was with my super sensitive 11" on the clay surfacing it struggled with false targets while the older 4000 with the 14" went along well and found a couple of nice gram+ bits with less fuss. In other ground i have found small gold that this 4000 missed.

:Y: :Y: :Y:

Good reading, i'm running the 11" Detech and mostly stick to mode 3, i find it gets a little chirpy when running gain at 3 or higher. Will be trying the mode 8 and higher gain setting next time i go out and will be interested to see if there's any noteable difference. Thanks for the interesting post.

Regards Graeme

P.S. i run the Sennheiser RS-160s and they're fantastic. Cant complain about the audio level at all. Have just ordered a Treasure Mate V3 from VKTEK and looking forward to having the option to pull the headphones off from time to time.

Araratgold said:
In fairness to Howard, and in case I have somehow botched the test, this morning I have taken down the QED video until we can do some testing together next week.

Also, you don't need to go and buy a camera, as mine does a good enough job !

Rick

Not sure why you did Rick as I couldn't see anything unfair to anyone ? Your vid was simply a comparison between the two under the same conditions. Not much point in setting up the conditions purely to suit the characteristics and or simply to aid a particular machine IMHO ? You could test for weeks and still not cover every single scenario, some may suit one more than the other .................. but if your putting a QED up against a Zed, dare I say it on the QED thread :rolleyes: :rolleyes: but I know what I'd put my money on for a pretty safe bet. :Y:
By the way Rick, congrats on the fistful of gold ......................... that's what dreams are made of :eek: :Y:
Had to edit this to add here, that from what I can gather you have also certainly been doing this long enough to know enough about what your doing to form a pretty honest and educated opinion. :Y:

Thanks Bogger,

I appreciate the positve feedback.

There are a few anonymous snipers accross the forums, and the usual suspect Doug, who are trying to denigrate and ridicule me, and what was a well intentioned test, with something other than the standard 11 inch Detech coil. Everyone who has been following the progress of the QED already knows that the QED works well with the 8 and 11 Commanders and 11 Detech.

They have totally missed the point of my testing.
There are many people out there who do not want to go prospecting with a little 11 inch coil. And when I say prospecting, I'm not talking about going to known flogged areas. Try a few weeks of real prospecting, say in the wide expanses of WA, with an 11 inch coil and see how frustrated you get ! You need to be able to run, for example, a 17x11 Adv or 17x13 Evo to cover ground to maximise your chances, and that was the purpose of my testing.

I only cross compared with the ZED because Howard sent me a series of rather blunt texts complaining that I didn't crosscheck the GPZ19 gold I was digging, with the QED !
To be perfectly honest, I believe that Howard as the inventor / maker of the QED should have done a comprehensive series of testing videos with a variety of coils and independent observers, to aid potential buyers, especially since he is trying to break into Minelabs stronghold !

Cheers,
Rick

Rick I'd like to be honest and blunt here also .................... the one thing about the QED that never fails to piss me, is that unless you a praising the unit and heaping accolades on it your shut down and ridiculed. I even had a peanut on here tell me I had no right to an opinion much less post because I didn't own one? No brand loyalty here .................. if it works and finds the yellow stuff then I'll buy it.
Also hearing you on the prospecting GPA's type thing compared to wide open spaces. I think last trip the odometer on my quad alone hit over 650K and yes I know when I do a bit with the SDC as I look down, it's like trying to paint the Sydney Harbour bridge with a texta pen. :rolleyes: The expanse also of some of the country detected is also why I'd like to think I am covering the ground with a machine that will tell me if and when I walk over it. Not just be ambling like a lost soul across the Australian outback, with what may well amount to having nothing more than a broom stick in my hand.
I take my hat off to Howard for having a go, I truly do, but some of the claims by many of it being an SDC killer, beats a GPX etc etc is absolutely the stuff that comes from a bulls bum. So now before the likes of the mighty RW hops in swinging, I'll give him a challenge. That challenge is, if I can be shown the QED is better than my SDC and GPX etc I'll buy two of them .............. no risk :Y: Anyways I'll just wait for the onslaught that's sure to now follow. ;)
One could only add I guess, that given there were probably more equinox units sold in the first 24 hours of being released than the total QED's ever since being released, one does ask at the risk of sounding like Julias Sumner Miller ............... Why is it so?
Post your vid back up please Rick ................... for me it was just an honest vid of an honest situation by a bloke who knows what he's doing. Nothing more nothing less and isn't that what prospective buyers are entitled to hear / see regardless of the brand name ?

I see Doug on his forum has now stated this about the QED :

" Rick has said that he wants to use a large mono for prospecting in WA which is why he chose the NF 17x11 mono when he did the detector comparison test.
If he wants to go this way then he should borrow a 18"NF advantage or the 25" NF 3 spoked mono to try which QED.users report work well with the QED.Some coils don't work well with the QED but their are many others that do. "

Well I'll be buggered ! Wasn't that the whole point of my exercise, to see how well the 17x11 would work on the QED, as it is one of the few spare coils I have for my wife's GPX ????? :Y:

It would seem that it may well be one of the coils that " doesn't work well with the QED ", which is unfortunate, because it is one of the most used and successful coils for the GPX, especially in WA !!!!!!!!!!!
How many others are there that we haven't discovered yet ???? :eek:

In other words, not only is the QED a bit fiddly to use, it is also fussy about what coils will work well on it ! :N:

Rick

Rick not sure even who Doug is ? But don't let others create doubt on your ability. Maybe if this is a known fact, then a list of what coils do and do not work should be posted ? That way at least owners will not spend / waste money on coils that don't work on it. After all this is the QED info thread :rolleyes:
Post your vid back up Rick and let the slammers post one up showing the difference in results using the 18 or 25 ?
I'm hearing plenty of claims but not seeing much ? Thinking of buying a second hand unit (I think some one here picked one up for around $600) and sending it to a few I know that have been detecting for decades, simply asking tell us what you think ? But then that's been done already .............. by you Rick :Y:
1526076303_simples.jpg

Araratgold said:
I see Doug on his forum has now stated this about the QED :

" Rick has said that he wants to use a large mono for prospecting in WA which is why he chose the NF 17x11 mono when he did the detector comparison test.
If he wants to go this way then he should borrow a 18"NF advantage or the 25" NF 3 spoked mono to try which QED.users report work well with the QED.Some coils don't work well with the QED but their are many others that do. "

Well I'll be buggered ! Wasn't that the whole point of my exercise, to see how well the 17x11 would work on the QED, as it is one of the few spare coils I have for my wife's GPX ????? :Y:

It would seem that it may well be one of the coils that " doesn't work well with the QED ", which is unfortunate, because it is one of the most used and successful coils for the GPX, especially in WA !!!!!!!!!!!
How many others are there that we haven't discovered yet ???? :eek:

In other words, not only is the QED a bit fiddly to use, it is also fussy about what coils will work well on it ! :N:

Rick
Haven't tried them again for awhile but wasn't overly impressed with the 6" Detech mono or NFA 14" x 7" on the QED. The NFA 14" x 7" was a favourite on the GPX.
Coils that seem to have worked well for me have been 8" Commander mono (although not in the suggested mode 1), 11" Detech Ultra Mono & NFA 16" mono.
The QED may not like elliptical coils?
For the record Rick I thought your video was fair & actually showed that keeping the gain up may be a vital cog in the QED process. Adds weight to the post above talking about using a higher mode (8) to allow the higher gain settings.
Until the knockers can show otherwise then your video should stand as at the end of the day to me was more about testing out your preferred coil choice on the QED.
All the mumbo jumbo about what coil you should have used is irrelevant. You use the coil that you think will best suit the area & detecting you are doing on the day. You don't put an 18" coil on because it works well then head down a creek to detect crevices & other tight spots!

Cut the sniping at each other and stick to posting results of real world testing and relevant info, both for the benefit of the topic, QED users and other interested parties. Also please also keep in mind the price point of the QED when carrying out testing/comparisons, in fairness it isn't in GPX nor GPZ territory.

I'm sure users will find out for themselves the positives/negatives of using the QED, regardless of manufacturer claims or others opinions, just as they would for testing any other brand or make of detector.

This topic has been cruising along quite nicely until now, and hopefully it won't end up going the same way as it has on other forums if we can all get along amicably. Thanks guys.

Latest posts