QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dasenator777 said:
davent would know as its his old machine, all i know is its a swifty set up, can charge straight into box, and a fuse i noticed

Okay thanks so after a check back through his postings I see he said this " Custom battery box and charger (camcorder battery, about 8 hour detecting time)"

Yesterday I visited Howard, who made a little modification to one of my QEDs. I have the old prototype from late 2016, and one that is more or less a production model. The prototype is kept in original form as I wish to keep it that way. I only wish I still had the Minelab GT16000 prototype that I tested back in 1987, or the prototype SD2000 that I had in 1989. I made the mistake of not keeping those machines, as I'm sure that now they would have historical significance. I won't make the same mistake again.
Each time I visit Howard I learn something new about the QED. He is always working on ways to improve the performance and the usability of his detector, and I am amazed at the way his mind works. He explained to me how the new mode 16 had no ground balance, and how in sand it would detect much deeper, and then demonstrated this feature with an air test that just blew me away. I am now keen to test this on very benign ground such as granite bottom to see if it can function as in sand. If it can, it will be seeing some use on country that has been very good to me in the past.
Another little trick he showed me related to a problem expressed by QED users in relation to changeable country, such as some mullock heaps, ironstony and clay patchy ground. Auto ground balance, and then balance manually to as close to a null as possible. In very tricky ground a perfect null is not always obtainable, but get as close as you can. Go to function 3 which is THS-A. The neutral here is 50. Increase by a click at a time until you have the threshold you require. Now go to function 9 which is SMR and is designed to tune out EMI. By altering this setting you can tune out any ground induced EMI that is preventing a GB null. In the test we did this occurred at just over 50, but may vary with different coils and ground situations.
I hope this is helpful to QED users, and would like to hear of results.

Reg Wilson said:
In very tricky ground a perfect null is not always obtainable, but get as close as you can. Go to function 3 which is THS-A. The neutral here is 50. Increase by a click at a time until you have the threshold you require. Now go to function 9 which is SMR and is designed to tune out EMI. By altering this setting you can tune out any ground induced EMI that is preventing a GB null. In the test we did this occurred at just over 50, but may vary with different coils and ground situations.
I hope this is helpful to QED users, and would like to hear of results.
Just trying to get this right you dropped SMR down to 50?? I've never got past 105.. I've late I've been playing with SMR after I think I've got it tuned up with all the other settings I barely move it a few no. Up or down. Mostly running the detech 11 and the Sadie 8x6. I'll give it a crack tomorrow hopefully you'll get back to me before then.

Cando, Different coils and ground conditions could make for different settings. We were using Howard's test patch in his backyard, so I imagine things could be totally different elsewhere. I'll try it out tomorrow in the field and see how it goes.

No probs just thought I ask.. I was out today found some mullock heaps and picked up a couple of species I think. I can't tell I haven't got my reading glasses with me. it sounds off and it's shiny looking. will have to wait until I get home.
Or is it wishful thinking? that is the question :lol:
not the best pic for the best one I can do for now

1524736387_20180426_194941-1224x1632.jpg

Reg Wilson said:
Cando, Different coils and ground conditions could make for different settings. We were using Howard's test patch in his backyard, so I imagine things could be totally different elsewhere. I'll try it out tomorrow in the field and see how it goes.
il give it a try this week when i go out too, cheers reg :Y:

Rush said:
dasenator777 said:
davent would know as its his old machine, all i know is its a swifty set up, can charge straight into box, and a fuse i noticed

Okay thanks so after a check back through his postings I see he said this " Custom battery box and charger (camcorder battery, about 8 hour detecting time)"
i think it was his mate vktek i read in some post as well, you jogged my memory cherers buddy

After spending the last couple of hours reading about the ups and downs of the QED I`ve decided to get one. I like the idea
of the 5yr warranty from the MGC. So I`ll be giving my money to them. Also might have to book something with Reg Wilson
down the track to may be learn how to drive it properly.

back from a few days out with qed, around the mt crawford area in adelaide. watts gully flogged out but plenty gold in other areas ...research is a must. firstly an update on qed since updated and agb added. i took to a spot near home where i previously tested qed when i received it. last time gb number was 128 to 132 from memory, this time sat on mostly 106, with 108 sometimes. the agb works a treat if done, how bugs recently explained, first time it went to 106 but had to adjust to 108, got bit noisy after a few steps hit agb again sat on 106 and thats where it stayed pretty much the hour i was out there. mode 1 is the best with 8 inch coil, but 2, 3 and 4 seem just as sensative when gets a bit noisy. had bias set on 44 was the best for where i was, also mucked around with volume a bit, around 30 now get faint stable threshold, if i up volume to 70 i get a more sensative machine by far, all be it a bit noisy though, as some people have stated by gettting the extra mode update could be dumbing down machine, i have found no evidence of that as yet..... now an update on mt crawford trip.... :Y:

was out mt crawford for 2 days well well away from the flogged and famous watts gully, had a ball out there machine was a joy to use , is light , very sensative, and is a proven gold finder, ie, reg wilson and jr beatys photos of numerous nuggets found so far. i got a few emi spikes from 4wd near by a few times but thats all i had , i say this though the agb upgrade is a must, and ive found it no different to use then minelabs little green button, qed is actualy quicker, hold button in drop cil to ground let button off, easy peezy, u dont have to sit there pumping coil up and down like others, well done bugs... anyone with a qed that hasnt had the agb upgrade its a must for sure, its like say having a 2000 then for $110 you have a 4000, its a no brainer....whist out i found 2 bits, 0.09 and 0.29 pieces respectively, pics to come.. :)

gef12 said:
dasenator777 said:
got mine back all updated to current specs, 7 day turn around from country sa. also changed over to the xterra straight shaft, well ballanced and light. time to get out an find the yella stuff :p https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/12271/1524568211_qed.jpg

Looks like Dave's old one .. I did the battery system for him ...
Gef vktek
yep it is davent old machine, best battery set up ive seen, how much would you charge to make another up as a spare one for me, cheers buddy. :Y:

dasenator777 said:
the agb works a treat if done, how bugs recently explained

mode 1 is the best with 8 inch coil
Can you put up Bugs explanation of the auto ground balance procedure here? Is it different from the manual? I've followed the manual to the letter & AGB on mine is still hit + miss. Definitely not in the quick track button class of the GP/GPX series & mostly still needs manual adjustments even when it does get close to a good balance.
Interesting you say mode 1 is the best with the 8" coil but found the gold with modes 2 & 4. When you say the best do you mean response as I also found mode 1 with the 8" to be the most responsive in testing but all but unusable in searching for in situ gold on local ground. Higher modes 2, 3 & 4 were all better for actual detecting reducing ground noise & false signals. Yes it's still capable & sensitive in these modes.
The extra mode update shouldn't dumb down the QED. Don't know where that's come from but the addition of extra modes shouldn't affect the other existing modes in any way but may change the ground balance numbers. The new mode 16 is pretty much about raw power in benign ground (but with no ground balance) so isn't dumbing anything down.

Edit: found a ground balance process from Bugs:
"Hold the coil about 12-15 inches above the ground
Press the AGB button and lower the coil all the way to the ground as quickly as possible.
It is imperative that the button is released the instant that the coil touches the ground."

This is different from the manual which from memory says to not touch the ground.

hey mate yes that is the new agb procedure, hes doing some vids on it atm, will be put on his youtube channel. yes mode 1 has best response with the small coil, but was too noisy to use in the area we were in, hummed in 2 and 4 , i had read the dumbing down concerns in earlier posts from memory, but have found no evidence of that at all. cheers

I have just done some testing inside my house with the QED and a 17x11 N/F mono and can say that EMI was typically bad, similar to a GPX with mono coil :N:

However, I also tried a Coiltek 17x11 AI coil in the house and it worked perfectly, and ran nice and stable, and picked up my 0.25 test ball of gold, also similar to a GPX fitted with AI coil ( or DD in cancel ). :Y:

I will be out in the field prospecting tomorrow, and will test the AI coil for EMI beside an electric fence that drives everything else nuts ! My 4500 runs beautifully beside the fence with the AI so I hoping the QED will too.
Also I will test the QED away from the fence with the AI to see how it performs for sensitivity.

I'm hoping that if it performs well with the AI coil, that I may be able to use it to tame the salty areas of WA ( which is what the AI was originally developed for )

Rick

Latest posts