Prospecting lease in State Forest Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrook

brett
Reaction score
Hi all , I was wandering around a state forest in Vic. a couple of weeks ago and came across a corner peg with a name , Pl number and exp date in the future . I assume that's a no go area for detecting ? I've tried google but can only find regulations for the holder and how to apply for one . I don't want to tread on anyone's toes , so a website that laid out who can access a PL and listed where they are would be handy
thanks , Brett

That's the info , I suspected as much . Thank you , far from mediocre
After I posted I had a better look in geovic , pl's can be overlayed there also.
thanks Brett

There are two reserves South of Buningyong near Ballarat,both fenced off with gates, and they have numbered codes on Google maps.Emailed Parks Victoria and they referred me to the ranger at Ballarat Council Offices. One was off limits and the other she didn,t know and referred me to another body. After all that I lost interest in getting permission and I might hop over the gate. Does anyone know if I might be prosecuted if I do?

Well if it was my gate and you're not supposed to be there I'd be bloody well making sure you were prosecuted!

edit:just to clarify Rob, you've posted more than a few times on this forum about possibly jumping fences, about farmers not allowing access and even once said how you will not 'cow-tow' to a land owner.

Now in this post you did the right thing and contacted the council but then said "After all that I lost interest in getting permission and I might hop over the gate."

You have absolutely no regard for the rights of land owners nor for your fellow prospectors who by your actions will continue to find access harder and harder.

Yes you should be prosecuted if caught and I hope you are....harshly!

In every sense of the words, Yes you would be.
Madtuna has spelt it out above.
It is actions like this that make it very hard for the honest person and people like me who
have to try and keep our hobby alive.
Please do not consider any actions as in "Hopping Over the Gate. "

oldtimerROB said:
There are two reserves South of Buningyong near Ballarat,both fenced off with gates, and they have numbered codes on Google maps.Emailed Parks Victoria and they referred me to the ranger at Ballarat Council Offices. One was off limits and the other she didn,t know and referred me to another body. After all that I lost interest in getting permission and I might hop over the gate. Does anyone know if I might be prosecuted if I do?

From the same page as referenced by The Mediocritist above

"Prohibited Crown land

Prohibited Crown land is land where recreational prospecting is banned and includes land that is:
a park under the National Parks Act 1975 including land that is a national, wilderness, State or other park
or reserve or a marine national park or marine sanctuary, except in designated areas of specific parks under that Act (see Permitted Areas in Certain Parks under the National Parks Act);"

I take this to include bushland reserves , historic reserves , nature conservation reserves etc

as a general rule , if you have to climb over a fence or shut gate , you probably shouldn't be there
thanks, Brett

Latest posts