Prospecting in State Parks:

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swinging & digging said:
Prospecting is not allowed in the Plenty Gorge Park

I'm curious, where is this information from? Plenty River is not on the prohibited list. The Plenty Gorge Park is Crown land reserve and not a state park/national park or a sanctuary/conservation reserve... seems to me it would be allowed. Is it specifically listed elsewhere hidden amongst all the bits of legislation relating to recreational prospecting?

I guess to be sure it would be best to confirm with DELWP and ParksVic

"I guess to be sure it would be best to confirm with DELWP and ParksVic"

There you go...

Nackz said:
Swinging & digging said:

I'm curious, where is this information from? Plenty River is not on the prohibited list. The Plenty Gorge Park is Crown land reserve and not a state park/national park or a sanctuary/conservation reserve... seems to me it would be allowed. Is it specifically listed elsewhere hidden amongst all the bits of legislation relating to recreational prospecting?

https://earthresources.vic.gov.au/l...ick/rivers-and-streams-where-you-cant-fossick

Also look on Google earth, much of the Plenty is within a Park.

Swinging & digging said:
Nackz said:
Swinging & digging said:

Also look on Google earth, much of the Plenty is within a Park.

The plenty river isnt on the list, the prohibition is yarra river tributaries above the plenty river junction. Nothing there about the Plenty river itself. Plus just because the Plenty is within a park doesnt mean prospecting is prohibited. It depends on the type of park. The prohibition is largely national parks and state parks as well as certain conservation reserves (plus cultural heritage sites), though the legislation refers to multiple acts which are sometimes contradictory so I find it difficult to determine precisely where prospecting is and isnt allowed.

Thats why I say my interpretation (which could be entirely incorrect) according to my understanding of the laws is that it wouldnt be prohibited in at least some of those parks. I would point out that am a newbie at prospecting so not experienced with the legislation (though I have read most of the relevant acts). Also saying that, for any land not specifically mentioned as recreational prospecting allowed I would always check with the government authorities.

If the park is managed by Parks Vic then I would contact them for permission/check legality, for other parks on crown land I would contact DELWP. There are also a bunch of parks not on crown land managed by local councils, in which case I would check with the relevant council.

As I said I am new to prospecting and havent yet been anywhere other than those where prospecting is specifically mentioned. Though I plan in the future to explore other areas with clarification/approval from the authorities. Parks Vic have been super quick to get back me with queries and DELWP a little longer but only about a week. So I'm sure they can advise. At least there is a reasonably clear list of waterways!

Latest posts