Pre decimal and relics with Garrett Ace 300i

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, i have just brought a Garrett Ace 300i and my father inlaw has a detector aswell and we wanted to have a go at finding some pre decimal coins or relics. Does anyone have a tips on how to locate suitable areas to search? We live in the Illawarra and are willing to travel a couple of hours to search somewhere but im unsure where to start my research in finding a spot. i dont want anyone to reveal there favourite spots, just point me in a direction on where to research or what to look for on google maps

Have a look at Trove. It has old newspapers etc digitized. Search for something like a local park and you may find information about events held there through it's history. Most parks and sports fields in older suburbs and towns are as old as the town itself.
Here's a tip.... if there is a Park street, that is an indication that it's an old park.

http://trove.nla.gov.au

Also without going too much into the research side of things, getting out into the field is the best way to see if there is anything there, usually if can find one pre dec coin you'll find more. A lot of my best spots wouldn't really give an indication of plenty of pre dec coins without actually detecting there, going low and slow, gridding and being patient.

1474701816_imag0580.jpg

1474701864_imag0578.jpg

You're right Ram. My first day on some private property yielded this penny. It's in rough shape but it's my first pre-dec coin. A treasure to me.

rocketaroo said:
Awesome, broken into the 1800s era straight away!
Thanks! Been doing this for some months now. But usually it's gold, not coins. But, I have found an intact Chinese coin in REAL bad shape. I'm trying to decipher it.

Hi 2freeq,
I am also from the Illawarra, only been detecting since the start of the year, using the cheap Aldi detector. I have researched a bit and managed to find a few pre decimals in the local area, nothing really old, I think the oldest was a 192? penny. Also have my eye on a few spots that I haven't had a chance to get to yet. Send me a PM and I'll share some of my spots to get you on the way, or even catch up for a swing if you want. One spot I have been to a few times has shared its buried pre decs almost every trip ( that's with a cheap detector). You could probably go over the spots that I have worked already and find some more with Garrett.
Happy hunting.

Colour Blind said:
Hi 2freeq,
I am also from the Illawarra, only been detecting since the start of the year, using the cheap Aldi detector. I have researched a bit and managed to find a few pre decimals in the local area, nothing really old, I think the oldest was a 192? penny. Also have my eye on a few spots that I haven't had a chance to get to yet. Send me a PM and I'll share some of my spots to get you on the way, or even catch up for a swing if you want. One spot I have been to a few times has shared its buried pre decs almost every trip ( that's with a cheap detector). You could probably go over the spots that I have worked already and find some more with Garrett.
Happy hunting.

PM sent mate. Thanks

One of the biggest pleasures in this hobby is discovering new areas for yourself though, such a good feeling when good research or an intuitive feeling about a spot pays off.

ColinD said:
One of the biggest pleasures in this hobby is discovering new areas for yourself though, such a good feeling when good research or an intuitive feeling about a spot pays off.

I agree. We have been doing so much research over the last few days and learnt so much more about our local area.

I met up with rocketaroo when he first started detecting as he wanted some company and maybe a little help. We have become good friends and detect together very regularly. Before that I was happy detecting alone but now we have group hunts with a few locals. Best of both worlds.
I must say that even though I do my own research, Rocket has put us on some fantastic sites.

In answer to the first post, visiting your local library can be really helpful regarding the history and locations of older areas around your neighbourhood. Once you get a good idea on which areas were occupied back into the 1800's or early 1900's, pre-decimals can pretty much occur anywhere, and sometimes in the least expected locations.

The next step is to simply test an area to see what coins pop up (ie. Park), there is no real secret formula to success, just persistence and patience will usually reward you with some older coins.

Many predecimals may not be obvious targets like shallow modern coinage, sometimes just faint deeper high tones amongst the louder modern targets in the ground. Take your time to investigate the deeper targets, swing your coil too fast and you may simply overlook them.

You should be looking for repeatable high tones with reasonably steady ID numbers, most irregularly shaped junk and canslaw with have ID numbers jumping all over the place, whereas coins should remain steady. Some iron targets that give off high tones can be identified by wildly fluctuating ID numbers, jumping sometimes from very low numbers right up into the high 90's.

Don't get too stuck on trying to identify a possible coin target using ID numbers, if it is deep, the less likely that the numbers will be accurate, hence you should revert to using tones as your best guide on whether to dig or not.

Also use your pinpoint function to size up a coin target, no point digging a high tone (high conductor target) if it pinpoints 30cm wide, as it will more likely be a large target at depth (ie aluminium can). Coin targets should only pinpoint as small targets when scanning the ground, unless you are lucky enough to come across a spill of coins.

Also avoid detecting any obvious Heritage sites or around older buildings that might be protected, unless you have prior permission, preferably in writing. :)

No worries, with the Ace you may only get a part high or bell tone on some real deep coin targets that might be pushing the ability of the detector. When I owned an Ace, If I couldn't get a consistent high tone or bell tone on both swings of the coil, I would check in pinpoint mode, and if it indicated a small deep target (ie faint), I would most likely dig it. Using pinpoint mode is similar to a true all-metal mode, and will offer the best detection depth over normal coin/jewllery/relic modes, the only difference is you will hear all metal targets.

You will need to release the pinpoint button every now and again to retune the Ace, if you leave your finger on it for a lengthy time, the backgound threshold will get louder and louder till it blots out the target. Not the most conventional way of using the Ace, but it is handy for precisely locating deeper targets that the normal modes won't be able to handle.

So i found a grass patch today that is looking promising based on the location and history.

Only spent about 20mins there today and ended up with nothing but rubbish but gained experience. based on the rubbish i found (old ring pulls etc) i think the park may be in the era im looking for to find a pre decimal coin so ill keep at it and see how i go.

Todays rubbish

Finding the first one in a new area is the hard one, The pre decs should be deeper than the ring pulls
If it looks like it has top soil they could be deep try around the edges of the park or near big trees should have less top fill

Latest posts