possibly some help for a newby glendon fossicker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

20x

scott
Reaction score
Last week I was at glendon for a few days and did some sampling and found some very small colour in variouse area's.

One of those places was where flooded gully (I think its called) meets the dam. this spot is an bend and has very deep crevices that looked un-worked because of the amount of overburden (smashed bedrock) on top. I gave it a hard 10 hour hammering as I highbanked my way to the bottom.

The over burden on top produced barely any colour after a quick cleanout. I then worked it all to the bottom and roughly cleaned the tight spots of the crevices and that gave me about 0.1 grams.

It isn't a very good result but I just thought because I wont probly return there I would share this to maybe help someone that has never found gold or someone that doesn't like having to cart buckets from up the top.

Possabilitys...

Because of how deep the crevices are there, the possability of metal detectors finding small nuggets that deep is slim so its uncharted territory.

If you go to this spot you cant miss what I have done, if you look to the left side of where(facing upstream) I worked you
will notice sum very sharp and really dark bedrock and really dark almost black clays. To me this indicates that its never been worked and the clay is actually the decomposed bedrock and untouched.

Look at what I have done and keep working it downstream, the hardest part is done because the depth is already dug so once you very thoroughly clean out the area I have opened with a paint brush and crevicing tools, it will be easy to open up the next one by just pulling the overburden back into the empty 1 and that way the greens are happy. pffff!

I really hope someone continues this dig and doesn't give up and finds a nice nugget somewhere under there and post the result here....that would be awsome :cool:

ps...don't dig any further towards the middle of the gully as the pay streak will be where I have begun, it might be worth digging further towards the inside of the bend to :cool:

Below is a pic of the dam and ive marked exactly where to work it in yellow...good luck :cool:

1404207636_glendon_help.jpg

You where on the right gully but not quite in the right spot.
Probably a km up that gully is where the better gold is or I should say the shallow gold is.
I did the same as yourself when I first went out only 100 metres up from you above the fork.
Had to dig down deep but there is some good gold if you persevere and put in the time.
Cheers
Brad....

aushunter said:
You where on the right gully but not quite in the right spot.
Probably a km up that gully is where the better gold is or I should say the shallow gold is.
I did the same as yourself when I first went out only 100 metres up from you above the fork.
Had to dig down deep but there is some good gold if you persevere and put in the time.
Cheers
Brad....

I sampled up the top where you are talking about and got a bit of colour ey. I like to do the opposite cause I am a rebel :lol: .

and I just like digging big holes fast...up top looks like a million bears have been turning rocks lookin for insects :lol:

I tested my commodore ute again and got to most places ey...I even went a fair way down that track along the buffer zone fence until I got to 1 spot where the sump punchers were just to big to negotiate..it can be done ;)

I off to Gendon this weekend to have a go at panning and using the detector. Will give these spots ago and report back :D .

bignev said:
I off to Gendon this weekend to have a go at panning and using the detector. Will give these spots ago and report back :D .

awesome mate,

I don't use a metal detector but this might be worth a go to....

right up the back of the property(south I think) there are some cattle yards near the buffer zone fence, from there come back north a bit and you will see the start of a gully catchment area and where the erosion begins and exposes bedrock loaded with quartz veins.

about 100m's down from there I dug a random approx. 0.5m square and deep test hole in to the hard bedrock/clays and got a few tiny pieces out of it...that whole area might be worth giving a swing ey.

have a great time mate :cool:

thanks 20xwater,

I will give that a go as well, I'm there for 3 nights so hopefully I will find some colour.

Latest posts