Please help refine what signals to dig

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm hoping to find some old coins from a park that has been in use since 1820's by convicts, 1840's by loggers then as a park for visitors from around 1890 until now. Apparentlyvery popular around 1900 with about 1000 visitors on weekends.
I'm using a nokta fors core and getting a wide range of signals from quiet scratchy tones with no readout, also stronger ones of 47-52, 68, 78-87.
I dug a few of the strongest ones for a couple of bottle caps, ring pulls and a 2 dollar coin.
I'm certain it holds old coins but what should I be listening for and what sort of readout numbers are worth chasing?
The soil is a sandy loam which floods every few years.

Hi Mate,

To be honest your best off digging every signal and working it out yourself. It won't take long to work out what has the best chance of being a coin and what is rubbish.

I find coins tend to have a bit more stable ID number and on my Machine there is just this TONE that makes them stand out. It took a while to get my head around it but once you do, then you can start digging selective signals with confidence.

What I did:

Placed a few older coins, modern coins and a few junk targets in the backyard, i then ran over them with the machine on several of the most used settings. You feel a bit silly but then when in the field all of a sudden certain tones just stop you in your tracks.

Nothing substitutes for hours on the coil.

BTW I tend to dig all those higher numbers as silver and copper sit up there, the older bronze britt pennies just a fraction lower.

Have Fun mate, the harder it is to find, the bigger the buzz when it pops out!

Hope that helps.

Clegy

If this is close to where you live, dig it all IMO, sometimes if in a hurry you might try to cherry-pick, but if you can take your time and return again I would start to dig what looks like rubbish too because sometimes you get a pleasant surprise. Relic hunting on the goldfields I dig it all eventually because I like to collect the relics... axe heads, shovels etc and there's not too many ring-pulls and bottle tops.

I will say though to be careful because sometimes you find a nice spot and some other chump sees you digging targets and comes back with their detector when you're gone. Next time you turn up there is dug spots everywhere. I can think of a couple of occasions when someone has stopped and asked me how I'm going and saying they've got a detector themselves but they've never thought to try here in this spot... they come back!

Anything 82ish dig it, bottle tops an'all no matter where you're at. Try not to leave anything behind over 80 and you'll get 95% of the good coins, if the numbers are jumping around it's normally rubbish as Clegy says, but rings and gold nuggets jump around so you take your chances.

Aggro said:
I dug a few of the strongest ones for a couple of bottle caps, ring pulls and a 2 dollar coin.

Well there is one little error. The strongest signals will be the shallow, modern drops. It's the quiet but clear signals that could be deeper, older treasures. Good luck.

PS. We all dig trash.

Thanks everyone. I went back this afternoon for 20 minutes after drawing a mud map based on descriptions from various sources.
Managed a 1940's WW2 shell casing marked DEN 42. Worthless, but I'm stoked as I know for sure I'm in the right area at least. (15000 yanks were stationed here in 42-43 for jungle training)

Latest posts