pine plantations,

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, i was around Creswick and Scarsdale area and noticed there was pine plantations where old diggings were supposed to be, what is the go there? can Gold still be found or do you give it a miss?

Give it a go mate. There have been other posts on the Creswick pine plantations and what to look for. Check 'search' and they may pop up. The major issue is the over burden/pine needles etc.

Up Nundle/ Hanging Rock way there is a pine plantation on old diggings. Lots of mine shafts etc in the forest. Popular with detectorists. Not sure if anyone has struck it rich tho.
The fact that it is pine plantation really doesn't come into the equation. It's old diggings and should be as viable as any other old diggings?
Just my thoughts.

As Ramjet more or less suggested, the pine plantations at Nundle are the result of logging and not mining.

Seeing as the previous trees were knocked over / ripped out, it means a lot of the soil was upturned in the process and possibly bringing some of the deeper nuggets to the surface.

The downside is the tones of pine needles that are dropped each year, essentially burying these nuggets deeper and deeper.

If the pine forest in the area that you mentioned is the result of logging and not mining, then I would certainly give it a good going over with the detector.

Had a crack at pine plantations around Beaufort but onl.y found dozer blade chips and 22 shells and lead ,but got a mate over there that luvs em aand has found gold in them but its hard work !!

This is from my September post on the same sort of issue. Its getting close to summer - be careful in there.

Good questions. Pine plantations can be quite problematic. Oddly enough, the older and bigger the plantation, the better for detecting. there are several areas in there that I did well on. Went back over the same area and was shocked to see the pines are gone and the tree litter (pruning and cutting operations) pretty well meant I was not a chance - it was just too deep, too many cut up branches etc. Spent most of my time climbing over things. A couple of general observations on Creswick.
1. Like most pine areas - it is wetter. Dayelsford is the same. Dunolly and Maryborough are drier. This has affected the erosion cycle, ground mineralisation etc.
2. The reefs tend to be ironstone and quartz and are harder than the sandstone and slates. What does this mean? - it is called erosion imbalance.
3. Ridges and hills are steeper and better defined as a rule. You will note that using topo maps around Creswick the contour lines are well defined - places around Dunolly etc are not. Sandstone and slate erode quicker leaving shallower gullies.
4. I have found that the erosion imbalance can mean reefs may run along ridges and over hilltops in the area. the plus here is that the pines in these places tend not to be as healthy - ground is harder.
5. The rows of trees are excellent for gridding - pretty hard to lose where you have detected.
6. Constantly check the layers of pine needles etc to get a gauge of the depth. The loam can get quite thick and a loss of depth.
People can get quite daunted by pine plantation detecting but it can be rewarding. Remember that Creswick is close to Ballarat and has had some attention. Also, in the last couple of years 'no detecting' signs have popped up on what is crown land - this must be a local rule and I have yet to check with the PMAV as to what the legality is of these forestry signs. It is also worth checking the harvesting schedule as tracks will be closed in several areas.

Since the plantation (pine & blue gum) crash of a several months ago the fed & state gov has been ripping thousands of hectares out in the SW region of ballarat.
Even out the NE side of Mt Clear was stripped almost a year ago so it still doesn't have much new growth.
Once they finish their clean up it's prime land for swinging a detector.

Latest posts