Park hunting with the Garrett At Pro.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few hours in a park today. $17.75 in batery money. A S#@t load of little brown buggers. 10 x 1 cents and 17 x 2 cents. The only pre decimals are 2 1/2 half pennies. A cheapo silver chain and my first ring. Some other items... Padlock, big sinker, pushy bell, key hole plate and a valve from an old truck tube. The big piece of lead was at the bottom of some one else's hole. Seems they stopped digging an inch or so before the lead. (Good job on filling your holes fellow detectorist).

I would have liked a few silvers but it wasn't to be. Finding all the brown buggers I'm sure I would have picked up on any silvers if I had walked over them. A Good day out.

1413884276_mp1_copy.jpg

1413884307_mp2_copy.jpg

1413884328_mp3_copy.jpg

1413884346_mp4_copy.jpg

Yep,...silvers would have surfaced had they been under your coil Ramjet,...nice ring and good monetary score all up,...just a leeeeetle bit more thought on the research side and you'll be screaming B I n g o.

Ramjet said:
KarlS said:
Any play area of of the sports ovals should be out of bounds for detecting, regardless how careful you are. Simple as that.
Karl

I would never detect on a playing field of any kind.
Sorry Ramjet, it may wrongly come out as accusation. It was just general comment, not aimed at you.
Karl

KarlS said:
Ramjet said:
KarlS said:
Any play area of of the sports ovals should be out of bounds for detecting, regardless how careful you are. Simple as that.
Karl

I would never detect on a playing field of any kind.
Sorry Ramjet, it may wrongly come out as accusation. It was just general comment, not aimed at you.
Karl

All good Karl. You made a statement, I made one. No harm done :D

What frequency does the at run? I'm sure it's capable just interested to see if it's skewed at silver conductivity or lower. Some good digs there mate, nothing beats coil time for putting something in the pocket.

Was response to Silver's comment ... Meant between Karl and yourself :lol:
Mate i would be keen to meet up with you for our own playdate if your interested

All you fellas are in Mexico(south of my border,.. some x 2) so you might have to play without me(lear jets grounded due to Ebola)for a while,... don't get me wrong though, I wish I could come out to play.

KarlS said:
Karl

To be honest Karl I'm not sure why, I've spoken to grounds keepers who had no problem with me detecting, they just asked me not to make a mess, I showed them the screwdriver method and they had no problem at all, said good luck to me.

I just don't see an issue skimming the top of sports grounds using a screwdriver for extraction.

Heatho said:
KarlS said:
Karl

To be honest Karl I'm not sure why, I've spoken to grounds keepers who had no problem with me detecting, they just asked me not to make a mess, I showed them the screwdriver method and they had no problem at all, said good luck to me.

I just don't see an issue skimming the top of sports grounds using a screwdriver for extraction.

Well, around the ovals I'm detecting I got very good relationships with council staff. I spoke to green keepers couple times and they got no problems with my target recovery. But I was told not to detect on play areas. All it needs is one idiot to digg big hole in the cricket pitch and they will be chasing everyone off.
Karl

I see Karl's point here and left it without comment as this is a public forum. I'm an advocate for permission where it can be sort. Coins are everywhere and it will only take the one bad apple. Recently the groundskeeper at a prestigious school said no initially, but upon explaining and demonstrating he changed his mind. It's our responsibility to educate the gate keepers what we are about. Having YouTube back links and proficiency in our craft will win alot of people over, and allow us to continue where we don't get the opportunity to have those one on one's.

Of course it is OK if you got premision to do so. But consider this. You do all right things and leave the ground without any damage. But other people see you detecting in play area. Someone else will start detecting there also, maybe just once! And leave big mess behind. You are going to cope blame because you are seen detecting there regularly. For that reason I say it is better to leave play seas alone.
Karl

Last arvo shift before days off so I went to a park after work. Love this park. Not much trash so almost every target is a coin.
Today I kept a record of the details of each find. Two reasons, to help me learn my target IDs better and hope it helps other At Pro owners.
It is good turf and the soil is a sandy loam. Texture more like sand and mostly easy to dig with a few hard patches in the deeper holes. Fairly dry with all this hot weather.

The second penny had a bonus halfpenny underneath it. After digging the penny I put the pin pointer back in the hole as always and it beeped again. Picked the Pro up and got another hit. Very faint. It was a halfpenny, 5 cm deeper than the penny in harder soil. I thought I was onto a silver with the high ID of 80-86 but alas only a big lump of metal. I thought the $1 was going to be a bottle cap at with the signal 75-78 signal. Next item of interest was the Truck tube valve. It rang 76-80. It seemed to big to be a coin in pinpoint mode. It's the 2nd one of these I have found recently. The beer can was no surprise. Screaming signal and pinpointing showed it to be a big target. The florin was a surprise as the signal ID at 80-81 was lower then I thought they were. Next target is identical numbers and strength as the florin. I thought i was on a roll. The small piece of aluminium near the tip of the valve in pic 2 was not what I expected. Once again thought I was on the silver when I dug up a 1 cent coin.
Now the batteries in my detector go flat. I have spares in the car but decide to call it a night.
So here are the details of my finds.

ID numbers first then ED = Estimated depth: AD = Actual depth. Depths in centimetres.

ID ED AD Find
83-85 15-20 10 Penny

67-68 5-10 10 Bent bottle cap

52-53 10-15 10 Pull Tab

76-78 10-15 15 Penny +

54-60 20 20 Halfpenny (Very faint signal)

78-80 10 10 Penny with threepence stuck to it.

43-44 10 00 Bottle seal (parted the grass with fingers and it was on the surface)

83-86 20 15 Penny

80-86 15-20 15 Big lump of metal (Jumpy signal)

75-80 10-15 10 $1

78-82 20 15 Penny

77-78 5 10 Penny

76-80 10 20 Tube Valve + Pull tab end (Jumpy signal)

76-79 15-20 25 Bent Bottle cap

81-83 15 15 Halfpenny

76-79 15 15 Penny

76-79 15 15 Pull tab

76-79 10 10 Bent bottle cap

78-78 5 5 Can (When pin pointing it was to big to be a coin)

80-81 5 5 Florin

80-81 15 15 Small Aluminium piece (seen at the tip of the Valve)

81-84 10 10 1 cent

1414602059_lp141029a.jpg

1414602081_lp141029b.jpg

1414602112_lp141029c.jpg

1414602142_lp141029d.jpg

Good hunt RJ. the penny and threepence stuck together is a ripper. date on the 3d ? nice haul of coin. any florin is a bonus. the '47 was the biggest issue/mint of all with a 50/50 mix of copper and silver. I would still take them any day over a dec. :lol:

Latest posts