Paradise, Chowey, Mt. Shamrock gold fields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If anybody is able to help me with any info re. these locations. Are they suitable for detecting on. I have access and have had a go on some old diggings from the 1880's but as yet no joy. Also tried some quartzy ridges and dry creek beds - the usual bullets and wire and an old brass button. Should I just keep on keeping on or try elsewhere. The old timers diggings are 3-4 metres deep on shale with some shafts quite a bit deeper, so I am not sure if this sort of country would have surface gold the detector could pick up. Any feedback would be much appreciated - cheers

Thanks dwt - low n slow it is - 60 odd views you're the only reply - pretty obscure little diggings here in S E Qld - I'm not surprised there is little feed back. The property I am on is really beautiful - so it's a win, win ..... gold would be a nice bonus tho.

Any idea what the shafts bottomed out on, it might be worth an investigate, the area I've looked at you can follow the line of shafts in a virtual strait line, found some small speci's, and lost a good one, heard a rumour through a friend that a nice 3oz speci was found further down from the line of shafts, some 1-2 km away.
If you don't do any good around the workings try moving away but follow the 'line of workings' the old timers might not of made that far along :)

As far as I am aware the reef gold in the Paradise gold field is finely disseminated in the gray bands of the quartz reefs. Not a lot of "free gold" was associated with this field. To find a nugget would be very unusual.
I have family up that way and have been shown some old mines on private property some years ago. Tried panning some of the creeks but the same as you only found very few very small specks.
Apparently there was some alluvial gold found near the River but I can't recall finding any documentation. Any alluvial diggings would have probably been where the dam is now.

Thanks for the replies guys - Spent another full day on another bunch of old workings and round and about the general area - once again bullets and wire - I think I might look for a new spot after your comments Ken.

There must be other areas around there that did produce free gold. Mt Bigginden? was first mined for free gold as I understand.
Just be sure when researching an area to prospect to find out if the gold was "free gold" or disseminated gold mixed with other minerals.
It's a pity, it's a beautiful area, there might be some free gold some where there, maybe get a hold of some production reports from DNR&M.
A big lesson I learned early was not all mines marked on maps with "Au" have free gold.
Check the history at local libraries etc.
My father in law tells me there is supposed to be gold in the "Good Night Scrub" (State forest I think). the reason they call it the Good Night Scrub it is said if your cattle wandered in there it's "Good Night" to the cattle. Was near there at a picnic on the river (Long before the dam) and the scrub looks very dense, I recon walk in 100 meters and that would be enough to get you bushed (If you could get that far).

I hope you find a nice little spot but I think there is more chance finding something panning than detecting. There are a few old town sites that may be worth checking for relics.

Good Day
Perry scrub (goodnight scrub) produced nuggets (Geo report 184)also Stanton Hard-court,Stony creek and around Degilbo area. On the northern side of paradise dam has produced some nuggets .If you get on to QDex there are reports that will give you the answers you need. The worst thing is most areas are private property
Cheers Dave :D :D

Guys I have access to a massive tract of land behind Paradise dam and looking down onto the Burnett river old workings everywhere - I know that my research is pretty superficial at this stage - I get too tired after work to study and come the weekend I just want to be in the bush - I was working painting a house and camping out last year in the goodnight scrub, so yea I know that country - there are some pretty dubious types out there - with you know what plantations you wouldn't want to blunder onto - My first attempts at getting a location was the Stanton Harcourt fields but the locals are pretty hardened to wanna be prospectors and gave me a quick reality check on getting permission. I have access to 1200 acres at Eidsvold but have worked that for 3 days without a hint of colour. The guy who lets me on the big place at paradise is pretty cruisey but asked me to keep it quiet. Some of the bigger rocks in the creek beds are black with a band of quartz thru them and the detector likes them - I broke a couple open but didn't see anything - maybe hotrocks? I am not giving up on the place there's got to be something somewhere there. I am about to get permission to go on another property near Mundubberra that has old mining history too. Maybe I should spend more time doing the research first. Thanks for the advice on the research
Greg

G'day Balenim,
I have poked around a fair wack of that country since the early 80s. The only decent show I have had (as mentioned above) was on top of the old river cliff on the bend at paradise (now well & truly underwater). Chowey, Shamrock & steadman have all produced next to nothing after many, many days of swinging.
Harcourt "was" my favourite but it was shut down about 82 and now sub divided into small blocks. We had access to the land west of there & even ran a few cuts through the small creeks with a dozer... No joy on that side either.
As mentioned above, look for "alluvial or free" gold in the writings to give you a better chance of finding something here locally. I know most of the small & hard to find/get to fields (of most minerals, not just gold) up to Norton, out to Kroombit, down to proston back up to Biggenden and all the better areas are either locked up or have been ruined by hot shots doing the wrong thing. Still, a few random artefacts keeps me keen.
I reckon I know that property you are on, worth spending a week or so there as there is a fair area to look at.
Best of luck & might just bump into you one day. ;)

hi
Balenim
i just found your old post
i am keen for a scratch if you are still around
im new at this did find some small nuggets in the pilbara west oz
but its hard to get access to stations in Qld
hope you are still around
XXXXXXXXXX

Mod edit, personal contact details not permitted on open forum. Please use the message or email function
Thanks

1498703872_img_2715.jpg

hhmmmm image didnt work

Latest posts