Palmerville Gold Q&A

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hhmm, hammered hey,
So has the Golden Triangle and it seems to keep producing.
A bit more enjoyable redfin and economical in victoria a those pies and apple turnovers with cream at dunolly pie shop make it even harder to leave the area lol👅😏

He's left the place, so I'd say nothing is happening.
Nah..
The place is still going.
I can't say much more.
Just the enthusiasm is gone, the build excitement and anticipation is gone......
The folks with the big dollar season passes can keep the joint to themselves as far as I am concerned....
From a personal point of view if anyone says it's been hammered, has never been to the GT or Leonora.... It's a good spot.

Email the Palmerville Station email address. The old booking email and number are gone.

Would have to agree Simmo, the location and gold still available ideal but the way it was run / organised left a lot to be desired frankly. In saying that I also think a lot of negative feedback come from people who were un prepared for the conditions that remote outback prospecting is. Conditions of roads, time to travel and even if you indeed even find gold comes as just part of the deal.

For me the key improvements needed on Palmerville are :

1) more accessible hot showers - they was one shower available but relied on the cabin not being booked. A toilet at the bottom camp would be good too.

2) In the Day Permit area the E-W tracks off the main N-S ones need to be pushed further to open up areas currently only accessible by quad.

3) a big track pushed E from the "tyre track" would open up the entire SE half of the station which currently cant be accessed as too far to hike in a day and even hard with a quad.

Dunno what is needed in the Season Pass areas as only had an (approved) 3 day play between Dogleg Ck and the Palmer River.

For me the key improvements needed on Palmerville are :

1) more accessible hot showers - they was one shower available but relied on the cabin not being booked. A toilet at the bottom camp would be good too.

2) In the Day Permit area the E-W tracks off the main N-S ones need to be pushed further to open up areas currently only accessible by quad.

3) a big track pushed E from the "tyre track" would open up the entire SE half of the station which currently cant be accessed as too far to hike in a day and even hard with a quad.

Dunno what is needed in the Season Pass areas as only had an (approved) 3 day play between Dogleg Ck and the Palmer River.

I thought quads were not allowed up there?

Yeah the quad /SBS rego was the killer for me, I looked into it and the only thing applicable I could get was a conditional designated area rego. Many quads don't even comply for some conditional rego's much less full road rego. Made it an expensive week when added to the fee's charged and i wouldn't even contemplate the area without a quad.

Not sure on the rules now, but you could have a quad or buggy as long as it was registered and had anti-rollover protection.

I registered my quad before I left home and after a phone around I thought I was told no quads so I ended up at Flat Creek which worked out quite good. Both Merv and I came away with about 5g each and we were happy with that. I was only travelling in 2WD so the quad made all the difference although at Flat Creek a 2WD will get you just about everywhere you need to go.

MB thats changed a bit since you were there with the heavy rains. Most gullies are washed out and some that even in a buggy you find your way around them as they are that deep. Will be that way till the property owners get a dozer thru . Certainly moved some material but :p it's the 6 ft high grass in places that takes a bit to contend with along with the big bang as you hit the 3 ft high ant hills and hunks of granite that it's hiding. :rolleyes:

MB thats changed a bit since you were there with the heavy rains. Most gullies are washed out and some that even in a buggy you find your way around them as they are that deep. Will be that way till the property owners get a dozer thru . Certainly moved some material but :p it's the 6 ft high grass in places that takes a bit to contend with along with the big bang as you hit the 3 ft high ant hills and hunks of granite that it's hiding. :rolleyes:
I was going to go back to Palmerville this winter but between the rains/grass & management changes I will give it a miss.

Last year it was mostly ok ( especially when the burnoffs started) but I did have to wade thru a couple of gullys of chest high grass at one point and that is just lunacy. Bumped into a couple of members of the Farkarwe tribe in the process.

I was also going back to Etheridge shire on the way up but might need to rethink my route /timing.

I don't understand all the negativity re Palmerville, especially from people who did not go there, including members of this forum. A unique opportunity has been created for anyone to pay to prospect on private property that has previously never been open to the public since the gold rush days, and on one of the richest gold fields in the country. Places like this are few and far between in Queensland. Since opening there have been hundreds of satisfied prospectors who have gone there and many who have returned several times, and a lot of gold has been found by both beginners and seasoned prospectors. There is plenty of video footage and TV shows to back this up. Re tracks, grass, burning off and providing facilities , that has only bothered a few, mostly people who are new to prospecting and expect too much, on most places there is nothing provided. Prospecting in this rugged part of Cape York Australia is all part of the adventure , following the old timers, discovering history, finding new ground, being self sufficient , having the necessary equipment and going at the right time of year, is all part and parcel of prospecting, you build this knowledge with experience and time, there is plenty of good advice and support out there for those who want to have a go. No one has the right to tell a private property owner how they should run things and what they should do and provide. It is simply book online, pay your fees, and off you go. Always remembering you are on private property. We have enjoyed our several visits there found enough gold and will continue to return. The place is going ahead, and some work is being done now on tracks and facilities . Happy days.

totally agree with Hagsy. The regular detectorists of the palmer river gold fields (I’m one) recognise that you have to be self sufficient ,recognise and respect the problems you may encounter. The country is fantastic and you will grow to love it. It’s hard to have any empathy with anybody who has a whinge about 1 shower and toilet and rough roads and holes in the ground. I have a tub in the numerous waterholes and rivers (shower) and it’s far more enjoyable than a Towney shower. When the road is shit get your pick out and see if you can improve it . Learn the country and start to find a bit of gold and at $ 100 a gram having a whinge about $25 a night is BS . I am sure that there will always be issues when you are setting up a campground business in the middle of nowhere and building enough facilities for a group of how many campers?. All people should fill there dig holes I don’t have an answer to that except to say if you find gold do you want to signpost it. I have nothing to do with palmerville gold and have never camped there.

Mean't to add in last post, one does need to remember that there are very few pay to detect places left? As far as I'm aware there are only a few this season in FNQ, which are Palmerville, Flat Creek and Western Creek Station.? So pros or cons aside there is not a lot to choose from. The best part is there is certainly good gold to be had there.

Welcome back bloke ................................ 9 years since last post, thats a long time between drinks? 👍
For those interested in the trip rules and regs here. The smokers won't be happy 😲😷🤣🤣🤣

http://palmerville.com.au/?fbclid=IwAR2MerSWd-v3xOKXl9eo84LbAo1O2_YvHwNQp4dg4AgRrqcbjdb_YZ8KrKA
Hey Diginit,
Yes it has been 9 years since a personal post, when we were caretaking on the R16, stayed for exactly 12 months, what an adventure, they were wild times back then, however I have always received the email updates and read what is of interest to me. Re smoking, just can't inside the cabins , that is normal.
I have been back at Pallmerville now permanently for exactly 12 months and rejoind the forum as Michael Palmerville Gold, basically did the intro thing, said hello, then got smashed from every angle, remember !! did not interact with any derogatory comments then my profile was deleted from the forum without notice or reason, hence I have not contributed. I pray that is not the case this time around.
My family have been permanent season pass holders, at Palmerville and we have been here continuously for the last 12 months through all the ups and downs, we leased the 1000m block option and set up a great off grid totally self sufficient camp. We are the longest term guests here and have met and interacted with every person who has come here. Have made many new friends and a few will be life long. Believe me it has been tough, but we love this place and gold prospecting is all we do, it is our permanent lifestyle. There have also been many Palmer dramas, politics, gossip, inuendo, false actuations, police visits, council visits, mines dept visits, EPA visits, management changes, ownership changes, local lease holder battles, 2 people air lifted by RFDS, a few got lost in the bush, the best wet season ever, never a dull moment in the Palmer. However we have weathered the mini gold rush and the storm, still here, last man standing so to speak, and we can hold our heads up high.
The place is definitely still going ahead under the control of the station owner, and a few improvements and maintenance is being carried out as we speak, simply book online , and get here. No false promises just simply pay to camp and detect and follow the basic rules. At present there are 10 prospectors here , mostly season pass holders, and a family returning for the 4th time . All have been finding gold but it is tough going with the long grass, as it is everywhere in most parts of Australia. Discovery channel is also filming another season of Aussie Gold Hunters here this year. I hope this has been informative for all, I cannot speak on behalf of the owner, simply do that online. happy hunting, hope everyone has a cracker season.
Michael & Leigh.

Ahhhh yes you did cop a slight flogging from memory 🤭 Has certainly been a record wet without doubt, but that moves a lot of material around so can make an old spot like a new one 🤫 Your indeed living the dream life bloke and I'm sure the envy of many. 👍Thanks for an informative posts which I'm sure will help assist those wishing to make the trip better prepared and informed. 👍👍

Last edited:

Latest posts