Opinions Minelab SD2200v2 or SD2200D vs Whites TDI Pro Oz series

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Don't know if too many members are using either a Minelab SD2200v2/SD2200D or Whites TDI Pro Oz series but I am interested in any feedback on them?

Reason being is I am starting to research & get ready for that inevitable step from VLF to PI for gold hunting. Not that I am in a rush or will be getting rid of the VLF - very happy with the Whites GMT & will definitely keep it to compliment any PI I do end up getting but I do wonder what I am missing with it sometimes, especially depth wise. My thinking is that with a reasonable PI machine to compliment the GMT I will have a 2 x detector kit that may be able to rival newer Minelab's but on about 30-50% of the budget.

So far I have narrowed down the two above mentioned machines. I have come up with a bit of a list on pro's/con's for each & would like any opinions that could add to this or correct me if wrong.

Minelab SD2200v2 or SD2200D
Pro's - <$1500 used for basic set up to $2000 with lots of extras, auto ground balance, good track record on Aussie goldfields especially bigger/deeper gold which would compliment the GMT finding smaller shallow stuff nicely, larger Minelab user base for help/tips, large range of coils can be used, Aussie made
Con's - >10 years old, parts & service availability if damaged/needing repairs, may need mods for smaller gold hunting?,

Whites TDI Pro Oz series
Pro's - <$1500 to $1700 used, newer machine, large range of coils can be used, already own a Whites so that may help re: operation?,
Con's - not much info re: success on Aussie goldfields, unsure of user base,

Probably leaning towards the Minelab a bit. Not sure - doesn't get any easier deciding after getting your first one :lol: Any opinions welcomed/appreciated.

I have used both and would go the 2200, it might be because I am used to the minelabs. I'd be reasonably happy wandering around with a 2200, couldn't say the same for the TDI. Having confidence in your machine makes a big difference, buy one that you feel confident with.

DD

Thanks DD - From what I am reading the SD2200's would give me more confidence at this stage. There's some good info etc. on the TDI but just not enough solid stuff on it. Have heard a lot of good things about the whole SD series really & have seen a lot of people saying they have kept their old one as a back up & still rate them as good gold finders.

The SD2200V2 i just bought is < 5years old, and hardly used, they discontinued them in 2009. I had no hesitation making the purchase. I was in Coiltek Maryborough today, they know the machine, and also said its hardly had any use

I paid $600 for the box and now have 3 coils 2x11" and a 14" DDpro, 3 new Otto lower shafts, an upper carbon fibre shaft on order for the USA and the bits to do a tracking switch mod, all in all its exactly what i need without the expense.

AussieTreasureDigger said:
The SD2200V2 i just bought is < 5years old, and hardly used, they discontinued them in 2009.
I paid $600 for the box and now have 3 coils 2x11" and a 14" DDpro, 3 new Otto lower shafts, an upper carbon fibre shaft on order for the USA and the bits to do a tracking switch mod, all in all its exactly what i need without the expense.

Thanks - I had read the release date (April 2002) & mistakenly thought I had seen the date they stopped making them. Well 2009 is a lot better :lol:

Mate that's sounds exactly what I'd like to find - $600 box & add as I go. Very nice deal!! If you see any more around your way let me know - will buy straight away. Thanks heaps for the info.

I had a Whites TDI. I really liked it as a detector. Very easy to use, quick to set up and go.

I spent hours in the creeks and found not a lot. The odd bit of wire etc. I did find a sweet gold bracelet on the beach - but to be fair any detector would have found it!

I researched the hell out of the TDI trying to figure out what I could do to get the gold. I even bought a 0.2g test piece just to see if it sounded 'different'. I had a coil on it that the GPX5K users were reporting gold finds of 0.03 of a gram. A bit of forum reading and a post or two and the conclusion was that the TDI was never going to get gold the size that the GPX5K could.

NOW!
Don't take this that the TDI is not a performer - I have every belief that the TDI would get the bigger stuff just as easily as the GPX. My biggest let down is that the area I am detecting it is very rare that there is detectable gold and even then it is under a metre of overburden. In reality I would probably (definitely) do better if I had invested my dollars into highbanking. But I really really enjoy detecting.

Fast forward to the GPX5000 - I sucked it up and bought one. Immediately my trash finds rate went through the roof. Shotgun pellets, boot tacks, tiny little micro flakes of rust that take 15 minutes to find. On my third trip out I got a piece of gold. Just 0.09 of a gram.

For detecting my area a Gold Bug 2 would probably be better, but my plans for the 5000 mean I want to go out to Tibooburra, etc looking for gold so better off with a machine that is super quiet and can cover a lot more ground than the VLF machines.

Up around Hargraves I was digging shotgun pellets out of slate 4-6" deep. Actually chipping the slate out of the ground to get to them. Stuffed if I know how a pellet gets down there! There is an old stone cottage on the diggings up there and the surrounding area is unbelievably trashy. There is no way that the area could have been thoroughly worked properly. Needs someone with the time spare to go and remove every last bit of trash and I suspect they'll do really well.

On a side note - I have used a SD2000 with an 8" mono. Nothing I could do to it could get it to detect the 0.2g test piece. The TDI gave me 2" on this piece. I would buy a TDI over a SD2000, but having no experience with the 2100 or 2200 I can't say how they would go. I was side by side with a guy with an Extreme in a creek and it detected the 0.2g piece with the small coil but not the 11" coil and sounded off on every hotrock the TDI did - basically behaved in a very similar fashion to the TDI.

Ben

Thanks Ben - not trying to jump on ya spot but where is the old stone cottage. Been for a quick look around Hargraves but didn't see one? Have lots of spare time this week :p

I was told by a guy who witnessed, before i bought it, my 2200V2 detect a 3.8g Nug that the 5000's were skipping over on the small gold setting, his was one of the 5000's. Why ? who knowes... things like this can happen because of differences in the machines, right down to soil conditions and atmospherics, i am sure the 5000 would smack its ears over the long haul. You still have to be over it to find it, and you still have to know how to operate.

I am only now a couple of weeks away now from a full days detecting near Castlemaine with it, cant wait to see how it pans out.

If i come across a 2200V2 i will let you know.

I do know where there is an immaculate 3500 for sale around $2500
if your interested i can PM the details, i was going to buy it before the SD came along.

Probably getting a bit over the budget but thanks. That's a good deal on a 3500. They shouldn't have any dramas selling it.
I'm probably looking @ around $1500 tops unless I find a nice patch ;)

I baulked on the 3500 because i had bought the CTX a few months ago, i am now lucky enough the SD200V2 showed up.

I was about to buy an infinium then heard Garret were upping the anti in August/Sept yesterday i heard from a more than reliable source that Minelabs next gold machine will be more inline with CTX technology and the dropping of the GPX 5000 etc name.

Things are hotting up in world of gold detectors...

They are! New Minelab rumours won't go away + the Garrett rumour seems to be good as well. Have also read that Whites have a new PI machine on the way?
Will be interesting to see if anything can rival or better the GPX5000? Maybe some good competition may see some reduced prices for new & used machines? Interesting time - hopefully not all rumours & we start seeing something from a manufacturer shortly.

I was told by a guy who witnessed, before i bought it, my 2200V2 detect a 3.8g Nug that the 5000's were skipping over on the small gold setting, his was one of the 5000's. Why ? who knowes... things like this can happen because of differences in the machines, right down to soil conditions and atmospherics, i am sure the 5000 would smack its ears over the long haul. You still have to be over it to find it, and you still have to know how to operate.

I am only now a couple of weeks away now from a full days detecting near Castlemaine with it, cant wait to see how it pans out.

Probably because the fine gold settings are not made for depth. The fine gold timings are designed to make the detector quiet enough to get small nuggets near the surface, even though they can pick up big critters at depth, it is not really made for this. The 5k will get alot deeper with normal or sens extra, but the trade of is more noise which masks the tiny surface bits. Not knocking the 2200 though, it's a bloody good machine.

DD

Yeah theres no denying the 5k is the benchmark. Hopefully one day I will get it or the newer better one?
Till then I will keep an eye out for a 2200. From what I've read over the last couple days it will make a more than capable combo with the GMT @ a good budget.
Thanks all for your info/opinions & if anyone hears of either a SD2200v2 or SD2200D at a reasonable price let me know please.

Diggerdude said:

Probably because the fine gold settings are not made for depth. The fine gold timings are designed to make the detector quiet enough to get small nuggets near the surface, even though they can pick up big critters at depth, it is not really made for this. The 5k will get alot deeper with normal or sens extra, but the trade of is more noise which masks the tiny surface bits. Not knocking the 2200 though, it's a bloody good machine.

DD

Exactly!

wasnt saying there was anything special about the 2200 showing up the 5000, just saying the settings are what its usually all about :)

mbasko said:
They are! New Minelab rumours won't go away + the Garrett rumour seems to be good as well. Have also read that Whites have a new PI machine on the way?
Will be interesting to see if anything can rival or better the GPX5000? Maybe some good competition may see some reduced prices for new & used machines? Interesting time - hopefully not all rumours & we start seeing something from a manufacturer shortly.

Rumor and i will continue to use the word until i can substantiate any truths is that the ML will be a switchable VLF PI machine with a heads up display.

Garrett are going along the same path

Whites are trying to crack it with a better PI machine.

Thanks Ben - but pretty much set on a SD2200 now. Looks a good price though for the condition.

Not a good indicator for the TDI , 20mins to go and zero bids on $1000, that would never happen with a minelab.

DD