Ophir

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah bloody scorcher, tomorrow even hotter. Might head to Sunny Corner as it tends to be a bit cooler, even then prob have to dodge wriggle sticks all day. Hopefully, find a nice shady spot to poke around crevicing and run my little 6" gold rat sluice.

I have seen a guy pull an 8oz nugget with a hired SDC 2300 not too far from the campground at Ophir, was almost sunbaking it was that shallow. Can almost guarantee he has never been back to the exact spot either, he was a German tourist! Another time I got a look at an 88gram nugget, so a bit under 3oz from out there.

I marked the spot on a GPS but I don't have a detector to go have a swing around the mark :(

AussieChris said:
Yeah bloody scorcher, tomorrow even hotter. Might head to Sunny Corner as it tends to be a bit cooler, even then prob have to dodge wriggle sticks all day. Hopefully, find a nice shady spot to poke around crevicing and run my little 6" gold rat sluice.

I have seen a guy pull an 8oz nugget with a hired SDC 2300 not too far from the campground at Ophir, was almost sunbaking it was that shallow. Can almost guarantee he has never been back to the exact spot either, he was a German tourist! Another time I got a look at an 88gram nugget, so a bit under 3oz from out there.

I marked the spot on a GPS but I don't have a detector to go have a swing around the mark :(
Hahaha i got one lets go we'll go halves lol :Y: :Y: :Y: :D :D :D

There is a bloke out Orange that hires out a GPX4500 for $55 for the day, but it's been so long since I have used one I reckon I'd have as much luck detecting with a bent coathanger on the end of a broomstick, I could just make beeping sounds.
But yeah let me know when you are heading back out there and we could sweep the area together. I cant afford a top of the line gold detector these days but might grab an Equinox 800 when they land down here.
There is a GPX4500 on Gumtree right now for $2500, Christmas wiped the slate clean for me though lol.

Hey guys

How much ground is available for detecting around Ophir ? Is it only around the campground ?

Thanks

Gunter

Thanks guys

I see on the map theres heaps of shafts !
Not the place to go on own !

Gunter