Op Shop Find

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello GG,... what are the dates onj the shillings ?,... did it come with a nice 1933 for you ?
I hope so,... can't tell from the photo,... great score at any rate.
My personal advice,... never sell it,...take it to the grave. ;)
It is a beautiful work of art.
And I love it,... and love that you scored so well on it.
Cheers
Silver. :D

Hi Silver, so glad you love my clock....I love it too....and will never part with it. Best $19.25 I have ever spent. Sadly there are only 2 shillings on the clock, one is 1931 and the other is 1953. No 1933. Is the 1933 shilling valuable?

Ok GG this is just a guestimate by me, of the value of your unique piece of art using a 2010 17th edition pocket guide to australian coins and Banknotes book.
I'm going to go with an uncirculated coin price from 2010(havn't got a current book). and add 20% of the total coin values for the artiness of the piece at the end.
I'll start from the crown down, and assume that all the coins are in the same nick(roughly).
1937 crown:- $200.
1927 florin :- $235.
1951 florin :- $ 55.
1931 shilling:-$625.
1953 shilling:-$ 50.
1950 threepence:-$22.
1953 half penny:-$40.
Well so far that's going to be an under estimate without all the coin dates,... GG could you please post all the other dates for me as I can't make them all out from photo number one,... then I will finish this for you. :D
So far(if I'm correct on the dates) the $ total is $1,227 and that's just those 7 coins. :eek: :D

Damn...even if there was a 1933 shilling..I wouldn't part with it (but maybe workout how to swap the coin over..lol)

Thanks Silver. There is no 1950 threepence but a 1910 and 1963, a 1910 sixpence, a 1962 sixpence, a 1954 florin and a 1962 florin.

my grandfather had a lucky 1937 crown on his person my whole life (until he died) he lost it in the 1990,s and I found one in a collectors shop in port macquarie, and bought it for him as a replacement. I reckon it was about $50 then, that was somewhere in the 90,s. i know it was a 1937 crown because thats the year my dad was born.

Thanks GG, I'll get onto that.
In the mean time:-
I wouldn't try to remove and replace any of them at all,... as once they are removed they will only be reduced in price as the other side will be covered in araldite(and may even have been scored in order to make the araldite hold),... I think the value will be in the entire work(as it sits), which would only increase in value over time. :D

1937 crown:- $200.
1927 florin :- $235.
1951 florin :- $ 55.
1954 florin :- $50. (if it is a royal vist coin with the lion and the roo),...$95.(if it is a regular florin)
1962 florin :- $28
1931 shilling:-$625.
1953 shilling:-$ 50.
1910 sixpence:-$420.
1962 sixpence:-$7.
1910 threepence:-140.
1963 threepence:-$7.
1953 half penny:-$40.
So going on it being a 1954 royal visit florin, and at 2010 prices, I make the coin value at $2,557 plus the 20% of their value for the clock and art work,...I would put a value of $510.64 for the arty clock part of it, and a total value of $3,067.64 overall(not that I'm a professional valuer),... not a bad snap up for your $19.25 :eek: ;) :D

Wow Silver, I knew it was worth more than my $19.25 !!! The 1954 florin is a royal visit one. I couldn't believe that the Ol shop was selling it for that price when I bought it. After I paid for it I told the sales lady that I metal detect and love finding old coins and she told me that they were not real coins!!! I said oh yes they are and you should have seen the look on her face. And the copper work of the 1930 penny is outstanding. You can just imagine the work that was put into it. It's just amazing. And to think someone donated it !
Their loss my gain.

Maybe will see you showing it off one day on Antiques Roadshow in Australia GG,... You certainly have a good eye for a bargan(and you were in the right place at the right time too) :D

Geelongirl said:
I visited my local Op Shop today and was surprised with what I found there. It was a pre decimal clock made from copper with a replica of the 1930 penny. Around the clock face are numerous coins including a 1937 Crown. I paid the $19.25 that they were asking for it and quickly exited the shop. I have searched the net and can find no other. Has anyone else seen one of these, or was I lucky enough to get the one and only.https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4969/1441874846_image.jpg

I think you might have a item worth putting up on eBay. Could do very nicely out of it.

Latest posts