On the Cheap (i.e run out of money!)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I just bought a Nox 600 and have run out of money.

I need a scoop i.e those nice stainless steel ones that cost 250 bucks at miner den.

Also i nice pin pointer would be nice.but they are 200+

So i'm a bit short of coin at the moment, what do people use as a scoop for sand that does not break the bank and what pointer can i buy on the cheap that wont break the bank.

Buying from ebay will do, or stay away from there.

Your recommendations?

mixo

p.s forgot a bag to put in the goodies

Hi mixo I got a small shovel from bunnings half size cost about $30
So I started with a bounty hunter lv from a pawn shop and the half size shovel from bunnings never needed a pin pointer
Just my say :cool: :Y:

i went to bunnings and got a cheap $2 scoop. my 9 yr old daughter said to drill some holes in it!

Pawn shop I will look into that.

Hi Mixo, I personally don't think a pin pointer is necessary, I use the one on my Xterra, then listen & look carefully, just something extra to carry.
I rarely hunt at the beach, but just wave my digger around under the sand after I've pin pointed, easy to hear the "ting" sound of a coin or bottle top hitting the digger.
This works for me.

I was using it in the back yard and i was having difficulty location junk under the ground.Probably been a beginner and haven't figured it out.

If i can avoid to buy one then its 200 bucks i dont need to spend.

The nox has a pinpoint feature, so I will try to learn how to use that.

mixo

you wont get it over night but when you learn the machine and use it well you will do alright many of us didn't have pinpointers when we started the nox is a great machinr ask heaps of questions and don't be to worried digging everything its the only way to learn what the machine is telling you good luck

Mixo, if you're like me & don't like reading manuals, do it. Google the type of detector you have, check you tube, don't think any question is a stupid one. Be patient.

I'm in Melbourne.

Yeah I hate to RTFM.

Going out to our local park with the kids tomorrow.

Seems easy to use the little time I spent with it today.

I wish I lived near the beach.

I've trolled YouTube I'm an expert in my head.need to do the hard yards.

And there will be a lot of dumb questions.

Mixo

If U run out of money after buying a nox 600 U must paid to much.

There r deals to bee had if U r smart not saying your not smart but maybe just not to bright if U get my drifter

Nex time look around U could have got nox 609 with scooper and stuff for $900 on net

Well i looked around could not find anything at this time. I'm sure boxing day there will be sales..

I dont like paying full price either...

mixo

Staying the out of money theme, will there be any tempting boxing day sales in the detecting accessories field?

mixo

So you say you wish that you lived near the beach and you are instead going to hit the local park? I take it then that you will be detecting mostly parks.

In that case you do not need a scoop. A scoop will only leave horribly disturbed ground that will not go down well with the locals.

If you're detecting parks, learn how to use the pinpointer on the nox and most importantly...

Get a tool that lets you dig plugs not holes!

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppbLz9DeGEk[/video]

A lesche type tool is what you need not a scoop.

https://www.amazon.com/Lesche-T-Handle-Serrated-Gardening-Detecting/dp/B00TSM6EV0

Or you could buy a steel hand trowel from bunnings and sharpen it with an angle grinder but the Australian sod is like concrete at times so even though you made need the spade style type that has one edge serrated you are better off just using the hand held smaller tool so park rangers dont go crazy. Which they will if they see you digging holes with a spade type tool! They'll ban you on the spot I reckon otherwise.

I used to use a regular spade when I detected beaches however.

Ramjet said:
Digging plugs can lead to dead patches. Learn less destructive methods.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/YzEZNWMXKDE[/video]

From my experiences plugs do not leave dead patches at all and it has the added benefit of not scratching the hell out of your target which using a screw driver to retrieve it almost certainly will. But everyones different. Find something that suits you and doesn't leave a mess for others to moan about, that's the most important thing.

Latest posts