Old person question...Old Print of Circular Quay 1800's ish? what's the crinkly paper it's printed on called?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love an early morning history lesson B5Mech !
Have spent the last couple of hours trying to find a timeline for you.

The sketch itself seems to date from between 1841 and 1875. Its hard to be more specific as the colonial buildings of circular quay have mostly dissappeared.
The presence of steamships means its post 1841 - the arrival of the first steamship to sydney the Rose followed later by her sister ships Shamrock and Thistle.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...irATAV&usg=AFQjCNGzM4facS-vU6SC9hkskknLAgmHEQ

The top right skyline of the sketch shows a large blocky building - quite possibly the Sydney Customs House. - built 1845 and still standing opposite the circular quay railway station.

Have quizzed the wife whos very into art and drawing, she thinks the print may have been done on paper vellum which im told is a mixture of ordinary paper pulp and linen fibres hence the texturing. I know proper vellum is actual animal skin thats been tanned and is similar to traditional drumskins.

Apparently paper vellum is no longer mass made so it could well be a hand made batch of paper, cant really date the print very well though , going to hedge my bets and say early 20th century when landscapes, florals and animal prints were common.
Best thing to do would be to take it along to the local gallery and get an experts thoughts..

Either way its a nice bit of history, something to re-
frame and hang on the wall :D

TGW.

Thanks Gem :cool: :Y: You lead me to the Rowing Club but now I'm stuck again :lol: ....
Should I email the rowing club on who did the sketch and is it in a museum maybe? :/

Sydney water board know of an underground freshwater stream. It's a slight trickle now but the first fleet would have more than likely used. Maybe they know of some historical significance with a call to the right person and question.

Sounds like TGW has put the leg work in :Y: :Y:

Looks like Mr XXXX's grandfather there (note the shadow) :eek:
1498894516_screenshot_2017-07-01-15-46-50.jpg

When NSW was actually Queensland lol. ]:D
1498894537_2017-07-01-15-45-57-111412267.jpg

The Green Wanderer said:
Love an early morning history lesson B5Mech !
Have spent the last couple of hours trying to find a timeline for you.

The sketch itself seems to date from between 1841 and 1875. Its hard to be more specific as the colonial buildings of circular quay have mostly dissappeared.
The presence of steamships means its post 1841 - the arrival of the first steamship to sydney the Rose followed later by her sister ships Shamrock and Thistle.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...irATAV&usg=AFQjCNGzM4facS-vU6SC9hkskknLAgmHEQ

The top right skyline of the sketch shows a large blocky building - quite possibly the Sydney Customs House. - built 1845 and still standing opposite the circular quay railway station.

Have quizzed the wife whos very into art and drawing, she thinks the print may have been done on paper vellum which im told is a mixture of ordinary paper pulp and linen fibres hence the texturing. I know proper vellum is actual animal skin thats been tanned and is similar to traditional drumskins.

Apparently paper vellum is no longer mass made so it could well be a hand made batch of paper, cant really date the print very well though , going to hedge my bets and say early 20th century when landscapes, florals and animal prints were common.
Best thing to do would be to take it along to the local gallery and get an experts thoughts..

Either way its a nice bit of history, something to re-
frame and hang on the wall :D

TGW.
8) :cool: :Y: Thanks TGW....It must be a vellum paper then....I was expecting it to be more like a skin than paper.
I've sent a few emails off to try and track down the original sketch, so hopefully the info will solve a few questions :cool:

Gem in I wrote; Sydney water board know of an underground freshwater stream. It's a slight trickle now but the first fleet would have more than likely used. Maybe they know of some historical significance with a call to the right person and question.
Funny you say that Gem....My old neighbor would be that man :lol: ...He's moved up to Nelson bay near my Mum after retiring so might have to give him a visit next time I go :cool: :Y:

Latest posts