Old firearm, any ideas on age etc?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Apologies for the photo's,
The old man found it in the paddock and it looks like it may have been there for a while!

1440246625_old_banger_4.jpg

1440246625_old_banger_1.jpg

1440246625_old_banger_2.jpg

1440246625_old_banger_3.jpg

1440246674_old_banger_6.jpg

1440246674_old_banger_5.jpg

Be interested in knowing a bit more about it.
Cheers,
Billy.

AtomRat said:
Its stamped 23575a I think..

Nah I can't see from the photo

You got good eyesight AR! Buggered if I could make out much but haven't cleaned it as yet so hopefully that will reveal something.

Cheers,
Billy.

Clean it up and you should be able to see who made it and what calbre it is etc
Winchester made lever actions 1873-1876 in .45 colt later Uberti short rifle .357 also Henry 1860 .44 repeating rifles.
Should have stamps on the barrel also
Way cool find !
Here is a video on how a lever action rifle Uberti .357 short rifle is made.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbRRdxW12EE

Here is one on the Henry 1860 .44
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6eIlvcCcn0

nucopia said:
Clean it up and you should be able to see who made it and what calbre it is etc
Winchester made lever actions 1873-1876 in .45 colt later Uberti short rifle .357 also Henry 1860 .44 repeating rifles.
Should have stamps on the barrel also
Way cool find !
Here is a video on how a lever action rifle Uberti .357 short rifle is made.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UbRRdxW12EE

Here is one on the Henry 1860 .44
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6eIlvcCcn0

It is a rather cool bit of times past.
I like imagining that a bushranger or trooper carried it at some stage and it was certainly found in the right area,
between the goldfields and "old Sydney Town".
Thanks for the input mate :cool:

Cheers,
Billy.

Nucopia, it looks more like a "henry" given the top ejection and barrel shape but no magazine under the barrel?

Will have to give it a bit of a clean and try to find some more detail.

Cheers,
Billy.

AtomRat said:
I think its along the lines of a Model 73 Winchester

yeah think so too, the henry didn't have the side plate on the frame like that, plus a lot rarer to find an old iron henry as most were brass frame..... lots of steel frame Winchester's were made...... that doesn't look like brass, is it?

awesome find anyway.

Is it just me or does the lever shape look a but unusual? I realise theres probably a bit missing but just looking at the shape, it's a bit different to what I have been looking at online. I thought Martini/Henry when I saw the barrel. 8)

Chewy said:
Is it just me or does the lever shape look a but unusual? I realise theres probably a bit missing but just looking at the shape, it's a bit different to what I have been looking at online. I thought Martini/Henry when I saw the barrel. 8)
After about 2 hours of searching for that lever until I realised its bend or squished to that shape. Its a 73

Im guessing its one of three a model 76 92 or 95 winchester.
The top cartridge ejection, is common on older lever actions.
The magazine is missing but you can see where the magazine tube was ment to fit under the barrel.
The side plates are missing, they could have been brass or steel alloy plate depending on the model/manufacturer.
Im wondering how it got out to where you dug it up , who lost or threw it there and why.
If you dont mind, Im going to copy your pics and send them to a friend of mine that is way more experienced ,who might have a better idea or knows some one that does.

nucopia said:
Im guessing its one of three a model 76 92 or 95 winchester.
The top cartridge ejection, is common on older lever actions.
The magazine is missing but you can see where the magazine tube was ment to fit under the barrel.
The side plates are missing, they could have been brass or steel alloy plate depending on the model/manufacturer.
Im wondering how it got out to where you dug it up , who lost or threw it there and why.
If you dont mind, Im going to copy your pics and send them to a friend of mine that is way more experienced ,who might have a better idea or knows some one that does.

No problems nucopia, I will be interested in what you may find out.
Thanks for all the replies from everyone to.

Cheers,
Billy.

I have an old 45-60 Well the remains of...

Found wrapped in some thing that could have been canvas ? Wooden stock and many bits just fell apart, this is what was left.

Old place out west, off to the side of the shearing sheds.

Many stories about people hiding and burying guns around war time...

1440307278_2015-08-23_14.51.11_medium.jpg

1440307278_2015-08-23_14.51.45_medium.jpg

1440307278_2015-08-23_14.51.26_medium.jpg

Latest posts