OK, The Jeep WK2 Grand Cherokee does have one weakness

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been using a great Rhino rack system on my Jeep WK2, but it mounted to the OEM roof rails which are pathetic for weight rating (68kg including roof rack - so around 37kg extra dynamic load - maybe a malibu?).
After some trips and when loaded, I started to hear more and more roof "panting" over bumps etc.
I have obviously overloaded the roof rails (awning, 4* MaxTrax, shovel and tyre carcass plus others) as the insert bolts are starting to crack away from the roof tin.
I've had the car on crazy corrugations to the tip of Cape York (twice), around Australia, WA twice and Central SA (Leigh Creek).
Anyway, it was my fault for overloading, but shite, 37kg dynamic loading is piss poor!!!!
Car's booked into repairer next week ($ouch) for re-welding roof cracks (qty 6) with strengthening plates inside.
The real problem is the rails are not mounted to the roof's hard points.
I have now purchased a rack from Uneek which distributes the rack weight to not only more of the roof bolts (12 instead of 6), but also to the roof's hard points (discarding the OEM rails), increasing dynamic carrying capacity to 125kg (this time excluding roof rack) i.e.: over triple.
Static weight increased to 250kg, so may even take my weight on a roof top tent :p
PS: I've put this Jeep through much gawd awful stuff (with much towing on crap roads) and it's come up just fine after 164ks over 5 years, and this is the first thing that has gone pear shaped. My bad :argh:
Although my front bull bar looks pretty crappy after many impacts :p
OK Jeep bashers, it's your turn..........

Saw somewhere today the Jeep ute is about to hit the market in Australia.

For what we pay for these modern designed vehicles it's bloody pathetic what they give you no matter what brand it is. All manufacturers vehicle or otherwise cut costs at the expense of the consumer. The best value vehicle I've seen in the last 10 years would have to be the ex army vehicles, sure they need a dollar spent on them for a daily drive on the bitumen but you end up with a no fuss multi purpose vehicle. I don't have the time to take on the project or I would.

Jeep? Is that TV add slogan, "should have bought a Jeep".

I spent 6 months in Canada in 1992 and there were lots of the late model station wagons on the road.
Went to the USA twice in 2011 & 2013, asked my very good friend who i was staying with why there was very few Jeeps on the roads?
I was in a rural state and rural mountain area, his reply complete and other garbage, worst USA built car and hated by the majority of Americans! :N: :poop: :poop: :poop:
He was just about to pull over and kick me out of the car for mentioning the brand. :eek:

In Australia a mate of mine had one for a few years, never really liked it at it did give some trouble.
A guy i work with has his second Jeep, first one written off in an accident, keeps telling us how good they are till we remind him about the repair bills and breakdowns he whinges and moans about. :money: :money: :money: :money: :money: Pit.

I think Toyota makes way better reliable cars.

Remember the Jeep advert where the kid kicks the ball next door?
Dad goes over the fence to retrieve the ball, to find an empty house & long grass .. goes back to the wife & asks "whats happened to the Robinsons?" to which she replies "they bought a Jeep"
See, even The marketing dept admit you wont make it home :skull: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ahhhhh splits my sides :playful:
anyhow Bigwave, 164kms spread over 5 years is pretty good going for a Jeep :lol: ;)
ps, you might just hit 200km :cool:

limpalot said:
Dignit said:
Ooohhhh Noooooo ....... not the Jeep.
Something Ill have to watch.

Hope you don't get stumped again Andy.
Havent been stumped or Rooed twice. Once of each was enough.

My Jeep was excellent value when purchased new, is very comfortable and has served me as a city slicker and occasional detectorist extremely well. No complaints what so ever.
In fact just about every passenger has commented on how comfortable it is, though with a tone of surprise.
Ive just ticked over 4 years and 95,000klm. :Y:

madtuna said:
somewhere near Melbourne some neck veins just popped :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

poor old BW.

Before you mentioned your strengthening and increased number of mounts i was gunna say .... it can happen to many vehicles in the lightweight toy segment ;) but it can be dealt with by increasing the width of the rack's load contact point or increasing the number of mounts.

that whooshing sound is me ducking for cover.

:cool:

That load is about average for most vehicles. The manufacturer gives a load limit on all roof mounted loads. Even toyota landcuriser have a total load limit of about 80kg. People do not realise this. That load includes the weight of the roof rack. So when you see landcruiser or patrol loaded up with water, fuel swags, high lift jack ect, they are way over legal loading. Yes arb ect make these you beaut racks but what you can then load on them is not much. Think about it, 20lt fluid is approx 20kg. 2 jerrycans and you are there with weight of rack.

I had one from the 60's with a Falcon 200 in it and it was awesome, went like a rocket, Best rough country vehicle I have ever owned, But my 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited was a bugger, It had the 5 cylinder Merc Diesel in it, someone had damaged the injector holes stipping the locking threads, Beautiful vehicle buggered up by some bodge up artist. it was really nice to drive and did about 36-40 mpg. ]:D

The guy's a rude turkey.
He was also comparing the Wrangler, not the WK2 Grand Cherokee.
He compared the Wrangler with the Subaru in a crash test, but clearly the Subaru had only a glancing impact.
Then he also criticises general ANCAP safety ratings.
I know little of the Wrangler, but am sure that the Wrangler was built to maximise off-road performance - not highway motoring.
Let's see how the Subaru goes in off road vs. the Wrangler :p
He's definitely a turkey :D

BigWave said:
The guy's a rude turkey.
He was also comparing the Wrangler, not the WK2 Grand Cherokee.
He compared the Wrangler with the Subaru in a crash test, but clearly the Subaru had only a glancing impact.
Then he also criticises general ANCAP safety ratings.
I know little of the Wrangler, but am sure that the Wrangler was built to maximise off-road performance - not highway motoring.
Let's see how the Subaru goes in off road vs. the Wrangler :p
He's definitely a turkey :D

Don't worry Pete, he hates a lot of automobiles not just Jeeps. His videos are a good laugh though.

Cheers

Doug

SWMBO has a 2011 Wrangler unlimited with 190,000 KM on it. Aside from tyres and oil changes the only things we have had to fix has been a rear axle seal, a radiator just recently and the switch that determines if the key is in the ignition. We did a trip to tassie with the two kids and it struggled a bit but it was carrying the same load as my Discovery 3 did.
Very capable off road as well

Regards,
Tote

Latest posts