Oiii You, The Lurkers out there ---

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found heaps of gold in the exact centre of Australia(ha)
axeman said:
Another prospecting site I was on, I was told the guests (lurkers) consisted of greenies, polies, property owners, claim jumpers, armchair prospectors ect. We set up a test (some call it a trap) were one member said on this forum they had found gold in a certain area. A members friend lives near the area and said the traffic on the road after the story was posted increased heaps and as far as we know it wasn't any of the forum members.
:) Mick

ched66 said:
Thought I better post for fear of being labelled a lurker ;) I reckon the subscribed (paid) members should have an area that is free from the lurkers, bots etc. Not to say that all visitors are bad, I think it's great that others are interested in what we are about, but there is a lot out in cyberspace with less than good intentions. Just having my say guys.........damn time to go to work :rolleyes:
I agree, there should be an area for subscribed member free from the lurkers as we are paid members, for the subscribed membership we only have a small amount of detail to access which was meant to be added to since the inception of the of the subscribed membership.
Unless I have missed something, this detail has not been added to for some time.

One thing that I have noticed of late is that the regular contributors have slowed down with their comments.

Maybe, Harri can do something about this. Maybe, have an extra tab/box to tick allowing comments only posted to subscribed members only???

My thoughts only............

Peter. :cool:

I thought being subscribed just stopped all the advertisements popping up all over the page ?

Silver,
Yes you are correct about the advertisements.
Apparently, we also have the right to the down load section for information, but that has not been updated for sometime.
What I am suggesting is that we as paid members should have more than the above. Such as the ability to talk amongst our selves without PMs', hence a need for a tick box.
You with 1404 post, have been a fantastic contributor to the forum (not that I have read every post of yours, same can be said for any others), but I feel that if all of the knowledge is out there for all to see, there will be lurkers out there waiting to see and pounce on something good that we share. There have been numerous posts about members going to their regular place and finding it raped.

My theory is that there are lurkers who are still under the idea that they can Dredge and get away with it, weather they are people from Australia or fly ins' is yet to be seen.

Peter.

Creekbed said:
Subscritions are not needed to keep a forum like this running, All you are doing is lining the pocket of the owner...........trust me a forum like this even though its linked to a website costs 2/5ths of buggerall to run and the moderators come free ;)

One Hundred members at $20.00 each is $2000.00. This whole website would not cost more than a few hundred a year to run, if that, and to be truthful the forum is self managed with the members providing the input and content. Again, the moderators come free and voluntary.

What about all the "Raffles" that were run via this forum???? just boosting the income for the owner. I'll bet no charity benefited and I wonder if there was ever any official licence applied for to run publicly advertised Raffles Hmmm.

This forum only eventuated because other forums had some issues with the owner using their groups for free advertising of goods for sale and raffles.(Truth!!)

CB

Even though it's no longer my place to comment, I felt the need to chime in here and point out that THIS forum costs not hundreds but actually thousands per year to run.

Prospecting Australia is run on a business grade private server and not some free or cheap hosting plan. Then once you add in an offsite backup facility, content delivery network, SSL, paid backend scripts, advertising / promotion etc I'm sure you can see it starts to add up quite quickly. It's set up this way to accommodate the millions of "genuine" pageviews the site receives each year as well as provide top level security and reliability for our 4000+ members.

I agree that the amount of time required to admin the site is nowhere near the amount of time it took to get it to where it is, and thankfully so. If you've been actively following the sites progress since the beginning you would be well aware of the countless hours and sleepless nights I spent adding functionality and tweaking things, not to mention the never ending task of promoting the forum in every way possible. But based on your comments I'm going to assume you've been away for quite a while.

If you don't want to support a site that supports your hobby, that's fine and no ones forcing you to, but please don't pretend that you have any idea of what it takes to run a site such as this one, because you're comments are way off mark and disrespectful to all those who have made PA what it is today.

Raffles were run in accordance with the Lotteries and Art Unions Act 1901 after liaison with the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing.

----

Now, when it comes to peoples spots getting hit after posting about it on a public forum, my suggestion is simply don't post information on the forum that might identify your spot ;)

Silver,
Apparently, we also have the right to the down load section for information, but that has not been updated for sometime.
What I am suggesting is that we as paid members should have more than the above. Such as the ability to talk amongst our selves without PMs', hence a need for a tick box.
It was my understanding that the site supporter was originally started for "Industry Dealers, Vendors, and Service Providers" so they could use the forum as a platform to advertise gear, promotions and sales in the sponsors trade section. But a few people wanted to help out who were not involved in the commercial side so nugget created the DL section to give supporters a little extra. The thing about having too many extra sections for paid members is you will loose a lot of people who have not paid, and soon it would be a private forum rather than a public forum.

Maybe the members only part at the top of the forum should be added to so all members can post on outings without all the "lurkers" being able to see?

shivan said:
Maybe the members only part at the top of the forum should be added to so all members can post on outings without all the "lurkers" being able to see?

The members only section is available to ALL members with a minimum of 10 posts up their sleeve, it's not just available to paid members. Non members and guests are unable to see this section.

Nugget said:
Now, when it comes to peoples spots getting hit after posting about it on a public forum, my suggestion is simply don't post information on the forum that might identify your spot ;)

I think that says it all. It's the same with the fishing forum I am on, people would want to know where you caught your fish, what time, tide, bait/lure etc... If it was a sensitive area, I would say very little, if there was a picture of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in the background, well I would let them figure it out :)

shivan said:

In this situation, a general post would go up, then we would use PM's, email, text's, phone etc, if we wanted to keep it within a certain group

I'm right there with you on that then pjg100.
pjg100 said:
Silver,
You with 1404 post, have been a fantastic contributor to the forum (not that I have read every post of yours, same can be said for any others), but I feel that if all of the knowledge is out there for all to see, there will be lurkers out there waiting to see and pounce on something good that we share. There have been numerous posts about members going to their regular place and finding it raped.

My theory is that there are lurkers who are still under the idea that they can Dredge and get away with it, weather they are people from Australia or fly ins' is yet to be seen.

Peter.

would sell lots in the parks,..all those new alditecta opperators will be getting hungry for hotdogs after a hard 20 minutes detecting(brain drain will have them buying double).
yobskin said:
Mmmm Aldi hotdogs.... :D

The members only section is available to ALL members with a minimum of 10 posts up their sleeve, it's not just available to paid members. Non members and guests are unable to see this section.
I was aware all members were able to view it, but the topics are limited.
What i was saying, was that maybe instead of only members meetups, competitions and giveaways and the comedy shack, there could be a general chat area or show and tell section that members (both supporters and normal members) could feel a bit less worried about guests viewing.

shivan said:
I was aware all members were able to view it, but the topics are limited.
What i was saying, was that maybe instead of only members meetups, competitions and giveaways and the comedy shack, there could be a general chat area or show and tell section that members (both supporters and normal members) could feel a bit less worried about guests viewing.
I'm with shivan on this one, I'm all for some extra sections that only posting members can view, I've worked with a couple of guys that only visit this forum for info!!!
I would suggest that somewhere above the 10 post mark though, it couldn't be that hard to set up an unlock process could it?
I recently only unlocked a new sword and pistol on Assassins Creed Unity on my Ps4, took bugger all really, killed a few fellows (they were deserving of it) and saved a few, and, wulla!!, bam!!, upgrade :D

Couldn't agree more with shivan. I personally think it would improve the forum overall, a more secure and private place to open up. A merit based system preferably. 10 posts seems a bit low for what is recorded in here. A two tier system makes alot more sense. I would certainly show much more of my finds, personal experiences, and give more of myself in general chat with that sort of assurance. And the active topic daily catchup I go to everyday is racing along. Posts from the shooters, regular contributers, technically savy and true prospectors would be quicker to get to and have less spamming of good topics with irrelevant content and comments. In the end I can only appeal to the bloke in charge but I'm optimistic and hopefully PA will evolve this way.

Maybe a rewards system given out by the moderators for instance.
Basically once it is known you are worthy of such things, You can be upgraded on merit to enter another area of the forum. True, Some may see it as an "Us and them thing" but, Do the yards and you will be rewarded. Only problem I see is how are the rewards given out.
Voting system by the Moderators.???
What do you people think?

Latest posts