OH DEAR!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank Pablo Pete...looking at only 2sq ft actually of the leather and there are few dealers no far from me here...the rivets I will certainly contact...thanks mate. :Y: :cool:

I can sympathize. Lol. I just got 5 stitches out a couple of days ago. Model aeroplane propellor.

Well getting a piece of suitable leather here in the Illawarra is no easy task!..Some available on line...notably an outfit in Taren Point..just south of Sydney but for the small amount that I wanted for my sheath + a packet of Rivets is made impracticable in the price one pays for freight!.
So ...I ripped up one of my wife's handbags!...hehehe.. :8 :Y: :cool: ...don't panic people...she suggested it and she's got more handbags than you can poke a Bowie at! :lol:
So!...ripped up ter Bunnings for a packet of bifurcated rivets! :cool: ....cut up section of handbag... :lol: :cool: incorporated the hard nylon tip guard that came with the knife into the toe of the sheath and utilising the existing sheath as a base I ripped in half-doz. or so rivets and...VOLA!..Knife is made safe and secure in its very own LOUIS VUITTON SHEATH! :lol: :lol: :cool: :Y:
1599992718_new_sheath.jpg

Did you put extra leather along where the rivets are located, basically shaped to the curve of the knife (called a welt), or did you just rivet the folded leather pieces together? What a welt does is it give the blade a soft leather piece to rest on so that it doesn't rest on and cut the side pieces or the rivets. Not sure what your leather thickness is, but it would be best to be 2-3mm to give it some rigidity and strength.

Next/now, we need to see the all leatherwork projects that you are going to produce.

Rob P.

Yeah Rob.What I have done is I fashioned a piece of flat nylon/plastic material "that was a part of the original sheath" to sit in as a buffer between the rivets and the leather...but also the stitched edge of the original is there as well(The original width of the sheath was about 7mm wider than the blade...obviously a one size fits all thing...a pity... for the quality of the knife deserved much better.)I am still determined to make a custom sheath for it...or have someone make one!... :playful: ...hint hint! ;) :cool: but the priority, as I saw it...was to render it safe in the meantime and whilst it is obviously a quick fix, it's doing the job at this stage :lol: :cool: ...in the meantime I can gather the leather and other bits and things to make a more presentable sheath.Thank you for your interest and input Rob P...Rossco :Y: :cool:

Latest posts