Offroad GPS Question.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankdonovan121

Francis Donovan
Reaction score
I am finding that starting a new hobby is a sure way to find out how much you do not know about it. In light of this, and due to scratching my head on how to get to an area on the other side of tenements, I have questions :/ .
How do you guys keep track of your co-ordinates? How easy is it to get a position with a gps receiver? Is there a better way?

Thank in advance,
Frank.

G'day Frank,

GPS is the only way to go mate. Rarely will getting a GPS signal be an issue because they generally lock onto around 12 satellites at a time, they only require about 5 sats to be accurate inside 5 meters. Sometimes really hilly country they become a little unsure but it seems to be very short lived. Buy quality, Garmin or alike.

Thanks AL

Your answer was exactly what I needed!
Thank you BigL, the last time I used GPS was as an MC truck driver picking up/delivering oil between bunbury and fremantle 10-15 years ago.

Frank.

Another option is the Trilobite mapping app for your mobile phone.

Once loaded up ,it doesn`t need mobile coverage. It operates on satellites . You can do alot of what a gps does with this, but it also has mines marked on it.
There is a discussion on it somewhere on this forum. I bought the app ages ago and use it a fair bit.

There are other similar products on the market ,too.

FOZ

Hello

I was just looking through new GPS and came back to ask what other people use and can recommend, but will definitely check what the go is with trilobite mapping. Right now even.

Thanks!

If you have a phone with a GPS, the Happy Prospector app is quite accurate....can track where you are so can easily make sure you are off a tenement, or on one if you have permission. I find using that and my GPS is good.

Is battery usage also a question for your situation frank? I have had explained to me that can be the difference between gps device or mobile phone.

Frankdonovan121 said:
Hello

I was just looking through new GPS and came back to ask what other people use and can recommend, but will definitely check what the go is with trilobite mapping. Right now even.

Thanks!

The creator has youtube videos and explains it all.

We have two hand held Garmins. The Oregon 550 is a nice colour touch screen unit but chews batteries within a day. The Garmin Etrax 20 is a simple GPS with no frills and will go for days at a time on two AA batteries. It's much lighter too. I think Garmin products are the easiest to operate.

Gem in I said:
Is battery usage also a question for your situation frank? I have had explained to me that can be the difference between gps device or mobile phone.

Hello Gem in I

Apart from packing 20 AA for the lanterns etc and 17 9V for gold bug 2 I also have a drip feed solar recharger and cigarette lighter adapter for my laptop/mobile.
So far the Trilobite app for the mobile seems pretty good, tbh. Can even show pending/current tenements, although that wont be up to date if there is no mobile connection.

Ded Driver said:
I use a HEMA HN7 for on & off road navigation with a few high res add-on map sets, & a Garmin GPSmap 64S handheld.

After looking at the specs for them I can definitely see why you use them. I am going to have to forget I saw them so I can happily keep using trilobite on my mobile, otherwise I might feel underwhelmed.

Frankdonovan121 said:
Ded Driver said:
I use a HEMA HN7 for on & off road navigation with a few high res add-on map sets, & a Garmin GPSmap 64S handheld.

After looking at the specs for them I can definitely see why you use them. I am going to have to forget I saw them so I can happily keep using trilobite on my mobile, otherwise I might feel underwhelmed.
I use the HEMA maps app on my mobile. No battery issues that way.

i run hema H7 for roads and tracks mark way points etc, happy prospector so u now exactly where u r,so stay within the rules, and hand held to find where u where yesterday and your way home and wa tenement app off wa mining dept for more lease information in detail

No I do not have a PLB yet; I was thinking of catching some form of budgie and tying a cord to a leg so if I get into a bit of a situation I can scare it and make it fly around in circles above me. I was thinking, to be realistic, that it would have to be pretty brightly colored.

Ded Driver said:

I have the same DD.. a HN7. Unfortunately for those wanting one they've been superseded now and the new model doesn't have anywhere near the ability of the old, a buddy of mine found that out.

Yes I should have mentioned using a phone's GPS too, but myself I prefer a dedicated GPS.

A lot of factory HN7 battery's seem to be dodgy, but they're easy enough to replace with one of fleabay which resolves the battery life issue.

Latest posts