Nullarbor locust swarm

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave79

Dave
Reaction score
Anyone crossing the nullarbor would be advised to pack some shadecloth or flywire because the locusts are thick between Caiguna and Cocklebiddy and there's a few cooked cars laying around. I slowed down to 70 and still had to stop twice to clean mine out and if you do over 90 you'll get a new guts coloured paint job.

Few hoppers central west, but I dont think it will be bad, they will just starve this year.
I replaced my grill with black SS security wire mesh. Never looked back.
Kept the radiator in tip top condition since.
Glaziers will have plenty of off cuts to suit bull bars and grills. Bird and stone proof.
With little air restriction if kept clean.
Air condioners condensors are the culprit a lot of the time. They have much narrower heat sink fins than radiators.
Easily blocked up by bugs and crap. Then your radiator behind it starves for air flow.
No fan made will suck air through them then.

were they big buggers? We hit a plague about 20 years ago near Caiguna and fair dinkum we had to pull over they were like budgies!!!!
Also near on hit bloody camels who were trying to out run the buggers. They were slip sliding all over the road, bloody smelt too (the locusts)
picking them out of my car for weeks.

GT :)

Not huge but made up for it in numbers! Looked like yellow fog. And they don't smell great as they cook!

1546499373_rps20190103_173851.jpg

seen them that bad on the Nullarbor that we used dust pan to scrape the buggers off the truck radiator grill, and they stunk...phew!!!

I was on SA community reference group for plague locusts a few years back representing bee keepers and heard some good stories about locusts. It isn't unusual for them to come down from south west Qld and fly out to sea over Ceduna way and further west of there. One lot we're out over the ocean and were getting tired only thing in sight was a ship so that's where that landed hell of a mess apparently. If your handy when they do land in the water I was told the fish go mad on them so they can be great bait at that time. But they do make a mess of vehicles I've seen people spray cars with cooking oil as they say it is very easy to clean them of other wise put your car on the lawn under the sprinkler to soften them up to clean them off

Latest posts