Nugget Finder Evolution 14x9 or 17x13??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm currently tossing up between the NF EVO 14x9 and 17x13 for the 4500. I'm looking to detect smallish as well as large nuggets at depth which I'm sure both are capable of, however my main concern is stability in highly mineralised and rocky country being that these are quite sensitive coils. How are you guys finding the mentioned coils in these types of conditions and which would you recommend?

Nugget.

If you want larger nuggets at depth and the smallish ones and smooth running, I'd go with the 17x13. You might be lucky to pick one up at the old price, or wait till the new spoked version comes out which will be lighter.

The 14x9 is more sensitive than the 17x13 so for the conditions you mentioned the 17x13 is probably the better way to go . The 17x13 Its capable of good depth and can pick up the small stuff :)

Cheers Nenad, I've been leaning toward the 17x13 for extra ground coverage but wasn't sure how it would handle mineralisation being larger. It's hard to tell from the YouTube videos and it's a pretty hefty outlay for something that may or may not be suited to my needs.

I guess I'm hoping to swing over some of the deeper stuff that previous detectorists have failed to pick up but without too much of a sacrifice of the smaller stuff, but then again maybe I'm dreaming :lol:

On the subject of the new spoked version, I'm probably better off sticking to a solid coil as the terrain I mostly detect can get pretty hairy at times and it's a PITA hooking on sticks etc.

I'm still undecided at this point :/

Hi nugget I'm using 17x13 evo great coil very sensitive will pick up .1 .2 no problem so if you plan on going deep get 17x13 will punch deeper than 14x9 its a bit heavier but nothing like let's say 15x9 commander coil I don't know how small you want to find but I think .1.2 is small enough

Nugget Don't disregard the spoked coils I have been using a 15 evo spoked proto type for many months and a 15 production evo spoked coil and was very happy as the cut outs have been angled that cuts down the amount that they snag on twigs ,yes now and then I do get a twig but not enough to worry me , :)

I agree about spoked, I'm using a spoked 15 ATM in spinifex grass no worries, and its light which is far more important to me.

Just looking at weight for a minute, the 15" spoked supposedly weighs around 930g while the 17x13 weighs only 15g more at 945g 8)

I appreciate all the input guys, I think I am going to go with the 17x13 after I purchase a new 8x6 Sadie :D

old hand said:
Happy the 17x13 are not in production yet I am waiting for a proto type for testing regards john :)

Oh nice. Is it possible to buy test units or even help with testing as a job? Id love to test units as a job. My current job sucks lol :)

HappyGoLucky86 said:
old hand said:
Happy the 17x13 are not in production yet I am waiting for a proto type for testing regards john :)

Oh nice. Is it possible to buy test units or even help with testing as a job? Id love to test units as a job. My current job sucks lol :)

As a tester you would have to forward all yellow finds to manufacturer ;) :D

Tathradj said:
Will be looking very hard at this.
The Sadie is def. on the cards. :)

Sadie arrived this morning, it's my second one and I think they're a ripper of a coil. I sold my last one when I sold off the TDI Pro.

At this point I am going to alternate between the 11" Commander mono and Sadie until I discover ground worth running a bigger coil over, then I'll be going for a NF 17x13 which should have all bases covered.

Hi Nugget sounds like a plan , can I suggest that you just stay with one coil until you get used to the new set up, :) as there is a big difference between a 4500 and TDI regards john :)

old hand said:
Hi Nugget sounds like a plan , can I suggest that you just stay with one coil until you get used to the new set up, :) as there is a big difference between a 4500 and TDI regards john :)

Will do John, I'll be sticking to the 11" Commander until I get the hang of the new machine before progressing to the Sadie.

Nugget,
What you are doing is exactly what I am going to do. :)
And the tip about using the 11" mono is true.
Going to nip into Mogo on the way home and have a hit and miss with the stick. LOL
See how many bullet cases I can find eh. ?

Nugget said:
Tathradj said:
Will be looking very hard at this.
The Sadie is def. on the cards. :)

Sadie arrived this morning, it's my second one and I think they're a ripper of a coil. I sold my last one when I sold off the TDI Pro.

At this point I am going to alternate between the 11" Commander mono and Sadie until I discover ground worth running a bigger coil over, then I'll be going for a NF 17x13 which should have all bases covered.

Good luck Tathradj, good times ahead. I look forward to seeing those bullet cases :lol:

Latest posts