Nugget finder 17 X 13 evolution.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
old hand said:
I have not found any off the new generation coils that can be used in normal in the GT, fine gold yes start with rx 12 audio quiet stab 11 signal 19 target vol 12 you will find the more you increase t/v the noisier response I like inv tracking med the detector will run,all detectors are different try these and you will not be far of regards john :Y:
Thanks Old Hand it gives me a bit of a starting point. Took me ages to come to terms with the 5000 and the 12" Evo, suppose that's what comes of being a tenical dislexic. The day I took it out I ran in Special, fine gold, RX 12, stab 10 and Targ vol 14. There was a lot of storm activity in the distance and my test piece is a difficult one I picked because it was difficult. So maybe I wast that far off being right?
My dread is to walk around a site with the wrong settings and miss gold. So thanks John.

Bill if you like next time you are up Maryborough way I will take you out and run through the setting and get your detector running right regards john :Y:

I hear time and time that you can't use normal in the GT. My father uses a gpx 4000 in normal only, and has found hundreds of bits and paid the detector off more than once in the last couple of years with his 14" elite. Yes it can definitely be noisy and not the best for a begginer but there is an advantage in some situations.

On nice lumpy bits, say about a foot deep, Sensitive Extra can be the ticket if the ground is kind enough. This works very well with the 12" and 15"Evos, the Detech 15" Super Deep Mono and especially the 17x13" Evo.

I found this 0.5g bit with the 17x13" Evo in Sens Extra.....it was what I'd normally refer to as "Zed" gold, very prickly, and quite rare to find with a GPX pre- the flat wound coils.

1521969593_my_bit_0.51g.jpg

With Sens Extra even reducing the Rx Gain down to about 4 on the 4500, or 6 on the 5000, you can cut ground noise dramatically. But once you get below those levels, you do lose a bit of sensitivity to stuff under half a gram. If you are chasing sub-grammers, then Enhance or Fine Gold with a higher Rx Gain is nearly always going to be better.

Bill run with the majority here and you can't go wrong :Y: Something a very learned friend taught me, if you find machine is very noisy, do a fact reset then put your settings back in, worked a treat for me when I couldn't stop the machine to settle no matter what settings I used Thanks Mr LearNed friend :Y: :Y:

Thanks for all the input guys. Appreciate your time and effort, dealing with my dads cancer has limited my ability to detect and reply but thanks again for the help.

Hey Bill, just a quick message to say deal with the important stuff in life mate, time is limited so make the most of it while you can and detecting will be there for when you need the escape from the realities of life.
Take care and hope your dad pulls through ok, not a nice situation to be in as I only know too well from my own experience but thought's are with you and dad.

ProspectorPete said:
Hey Bill, just a quick message to say deal with the important stuff in life mate, time is limited so make the most of it while you can and detecting will be there for when you need the escape from the realities of life.
Take care and hope your dad pulls through ok, not a nice situation to be in as I only know too well from my own experience but thought's are with you and dad.
Agree one hundred percent but sometimes I need to get away to clear the head and recharge. Dad starts radiation therapy on Thursday so hopefully he will get some respite from the nagging pain. Fortunately the pain killers are causing him to sleep a lot but his memory is going. My wife and her Aunty (his partner) lend a lot of support to.
Once the radiation starts it will be a grind.
Thank you for you kind words they came at a good time, I was just back at the Emergency department with him dealing with some plumbing issues that fortunately resolved themselves after a couple of hours.

I notice that reference is often made to using "sens. extra, smooth, fine" etc. in obtaining good soil timings in difficult conditions.
Its very easy to overlook setting the front panel toggle switch to "special" otherwise nothing in the timings has changed regardless as to what is showing on the back lcd panel. (4500/5000)
mike

Jarrod84 said:
I hear time and time that you can't use normal in the GT. My father uses a gpx 4000 in normal only, and has found hundreds of bits and paid the detector off more than once in the last couple of years with his 14" elite. Yes it can definitely be noisy and not the best for a begginer but there is an advantage in some situations.
wow i like to hear of his settings

In reference to the 17x13 Evolution coil that I bought yesterday the 4th of November 20.
I went out in the field today around Newstead the 5th Nov with my GPX4500 , auto tuned , RXGain was set on 12 Stabiliser set on 6 , Set on sensitive Extra , Enhance , fixed Mono . The rest of the Detector was set on Factory settings .
The Detector was running well , then after awhile I turned the machine off, while being in same area did the same procedure , couldnt for the love of me get the coil to run like I had it before same settings , it was noisey and couldnt adjust it at all , lowering Gain ,Stabiliser was down to 4 wondering why is this . I understand that you can get coils adjusted and set through coiltek.

Kenlily18 said:
In reference to the 17x13 Evolution coil that I bought yesterday the 4th of November 20.
I went out in the field today around Newstead the 5th Nov with my GPX4500 , auto tuned , RXGain was set on 12 Stabiliser set on 6 , Set on sensitive Extra , Enhance , fixed Mono . The rest of the Detector was set on Factory settings .
The Detector was running well , then after awhile I turned the machine off, while being in same area did the same procedure , couldnt for the love of me get the coil to run like I had it before same settings , it was noisey and couldnt adjust it at all , lowering Gain ,Stabiliser was down to 4 wondering why is this . I understand that you can get coils adjusted and set through coiltek.

It happens to pretty much everyone your best option is do a factory reset :Y: so long as the leads are tight at the connections and in good order it should settle the machine down. How much work has the coil done, has it been cleaned and tape replaced. If not do it before trying it again then try it on the same ground.

Forgot to ask do you have another coil doesn't matter what size but swapping the coil can help to isolate the 17x13. Or determine if you need to have a closer look at it.

Did you try auto tuning again when you switched it on for the second time and is there a chance you may have bumped the front switches at all?
Also I know an area near Newstead that has powerlines running parallel to the highway so could you have been closer to the powerlines at all?

Yes did auto tune again Pete , and your right with the power lines . But where I detected at first the coil was working well , then after I turned it off in same area I had this issue . Did the 360 auto tuned and I checked the switches as well , just thought it being odd being in the same area , was in fixed pumping the coil every few feet

ProspectorPete said:
Did you try auto tuning again when you switched it on for the second time and is there a chance you may have bumped the front switches at all?
Also I know an area near Newstead that has powerlines running parallel to the highway so could you have been closer to the powerlines at all?
Thanks Pete yes fo have another coil but the today didnt bring it with me . The coil is brand new only used it today

Was it noisy with the coil just sitting stationary, or only while moving the coil?
If it was only while moving, then maybe your soil/timing switch accidently flicked into to Normal or Special (activating Sens Extra).

hi Phase tech in reference the noise it was when i was moving , i had the setting on sensitive Extra , when i believe it should of been on sensitive smooth to cut out the noise thanks

Latest posts