Nugget finder 17 X 13 evolution.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, il let you know how it goes mate, couldn't be bothered waiting on the 14" NF test coil so thought stuff it il take a chance on this one. I've tested the Elite out for a day and a half so I can tell you how those 2 compare anyway.

That would be great mate. I'm heading out with Walshie and his new 14" elite on Sunday so it will be good to see how it performs against my 15"x12" commander. Your feedback would really help me.

Hi, we recently bought the 17 X 13 evolution coil and have only used it a couple of times. we are finding it a little noisy. We would be interested in any info on settings that anyone would be willing to share.

Thanks!

Mick and Anne

I've got this coil too. I have not found "it" noisy but when I had noise from ground or EMI I changed settings as I would for any coil. Nothing special that I can report on.

Mick and Anne what detector are you using ,I have been testing a proto type 12 and 14 NF I have found more gold at greater depth but I must say I am digging more noisy ground and charcoal these coils are more sensitive so I am checking any noise on my 4500 gain 9 ,stab 8 ,target vol 12 regards john :)

As with any sensitive coil, try to drop your Rx Gain first. If lowering to 6 or 7 doesn't settle it down, then go out of Fine Gold and try Enhance. If that still doesn't work, then try Quiet audio. Sensitive Smooth as a last resort, but then you are sort of defeating the purpose of an extra sensitive coil :cool:

Gday, was wondering if this coil is compatible with the Whites TDI OZ Pro, and if so, has anyone used one with the the TDI?

Cheers Dave.

Well I am now the proud owner of a 17 x 13 Evo coil. Only really coming to terms with the 12" Evo in hot ground on the 5000, I am unsure of what difference this vastly larger coil will make? I expect that EMI will be even more of an issue? I am told I should auto tune in fast motion then switch back to very slow. Should I use fine gold settings or go to normal or sensitive extra?
I understand that every location is different but if someone who has used this coil on a 5000 in hot ground could advise me on their settings it would give me a great starting point. Thanks in anticipation.
Also what small size gold should I expect to be able to detect with a coil this size? My current test piece is a very difficult .07 piece and I suspect I will need a larger test piece?

The starting point for your settings is Normal. Then you adjust accordingly, if it's too noisy then go to fine gold, if it's running smooth and the ground has some depth then sens extra. As you said all the ground is different.

If you like using a test piece then that will tell you which timing works best in that ground if it gets the target and runs quiet enough.
I just occasionally use bullets that I find if I'm not sure, and you've already dug the hole.
.07 is too small.
I've found .15 with my 17X13 on the 4500 at 3+ inches, really like the coil.

Hi Bill,

No experience in your area but I would expect that unless the ground was exceptionally mild, normal would send you insane. Sensitive Extra would most likely be painful as well. I would be guessing that Fine Gold would end up being your starting point and in many areas you may have to drop back to Enhance. With the bigger coil, a lower gain and stabiliser setting would also be an advantage. Take your test nugget into the area that you want to work, start with hotter settings and have a play. Try normal to start with and it will soon let you know. I reckon its best to spend some time playing with settings as you will get a feel for what will and wont work with a particular coil and your machine. It does take up some time but what you learn from the experience is locked away for future reference.

Cheers

Les

I have not found any off the new generation coils that can be used in normal in the GT, fine gold yes start with rx 12 audio quiet stab 11 signal 19 target vol 12 you will find the more you increase t/v the noisier response I like inv tracking med the detector will run,all detectors are different try these and you will not be far of regards john :Y:

I've had 6 months with the 17*13 on the 4500 now. I can only get it quiet on enhanced n sensitive smooth. Been hitting bird shot up to 6 inches so I should be good for small gold. Seen 6 species come out around me now for no gold my self. Super frustrating the gold is Layered as thin as foil with dotty chunks. My friend running the SDC in this particular area killing it. I've since read n learnt about how different detectors pick up all sorts of gold differently. So we put the 3g specie back in the hole n tried with the 4500 I was losing the peice at 2 inches. I was devastated n couldn't understand why I could get such small bird shot deep n be losing gold. Since learning more I realise the patch is a SDC patch n that's that. Just need to get myself in a more solid nugg area. Or just keep trying for a bigger specie. Can any one elaborate? 17*13 a great coil.

I start in fine gold then if it's too noisy go to enhance. If getting EMI I do an auto tune. I think I've only found 2 bits with this coil, can't remember, could be more. One was 1.85g the other was also around a gram. Haven't found any real small gold with it but going on the size of small junk it finds it should be capable. I've found a lot of bigger size lead shot with it, but you'll get a lot more lead shot with an SDC. Some rusty bits of ferrous are quite tiny. Jum I think you are right, SDC is just better on speccies for some reason but the 17x13 will go deeper on bigger, solid bits. My current settings: VL 15, GB gen, spec fine, man 176, gen, m slow, rx 11, aud norm, tone 45, stab 8, sig 16, TV 13, res norm, track med, IR off. Front panel: gen, spec, mono, fixed. Have used these settings on other coils too and found about 30 or so. Obviously some will change while you're detecting as you adjust to conditions eg. manual tune etc. Also I am open to suggestions for improvements to these settings. This 17x13 coil has been on my machine for a while now, found heaps of junk with it.

Jum what state are you in how old is the 4500 and can you put up the settings you are running front and back thanks :) I manly use enhanced

I'm in WA so can't speak for settings to be used in the GT but I have no chance of running on anything but enhanced with these aftermarket coils. I have an 11" Detech Ultra mono, a 14" Coiltek Elite mono and a 19" NF mono. All of these coils will drive you mad with noise on anything but enhanced.

Some gold is very difficult to detect. If they are not solid gold nuggets very often the 4500 will struggle to detecting them at all. Even the SDC will have problems but it is a lot more sensitive on fine gold so will very likely detect these nuggets where the 4500 fails. We've had patches where the SDC is all that can find gold between 0.3g and 1.0g but the gold looks bubbly and is light for its size. Anything below 0.3g is surely there but cannot be detected even with the SDC.

NSW east coast. The 4500 is 2 yr old yep front n back
Thanks heaps guys
I just got to keep swinging it. Its coming soon I'm committed