NSW places for fossicking with kids...?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
I suppose i could even place this in the camping section....but I am after some more general info.

I live on the NSW central coast and looking to take the kids (and wife) camping out rural NSW around easter.

We have a camper trailer so once it is up....we tend to stay in that area for a few days ....but travel short distances by car each day.....rather than "touring" if you get my drift.

Tho I would love to spend my time fossicking, detecting and panning, it is unlikely to be the main focus of our holiday :( But we will be keen to try it for a day or two.

So what am i after?

A campsite, with toilet block and hot water, but still with the rural, bush feel.

Somewhere central to other activities or locations, like caves or swimming holes or zoo's or something!?

Somewhere to take a family fossicking with a high degree of some success.....I don't mean nuggets I just mean some flecks in a pan, or some nice shiny stones. (I have never done gem hunting but it sounds good.) something that will give the kids some satisfaction......tho they quite like sitting a creek anyway!!

Was thinking the Bathurst/Orange area this time maybe Northern NSW next year.....we normally go Beach/Crescent head type camping but are looking for a change.

Would love some input from you (seemingly) very knowledgeable people Ha Ha

Cheers
Steve

We have been to Nundle a few times. Camp at Chaffey dam. $5 per car per day, $1 for hot showers. Lovely spot with tons of room. You can drive back towards Nundle only a couple of clicks and have access to the river. Easy access for kids in several places. Nundle is 8 ks away for supplies or the Woolomin shop is just down the road. Last time we were there there was even a sign at the gate for a guy who delivers wood for the fire.

The downside... The Peel river has only small amounts of gold.

Windamere Dam (Lake Windamere) out towards Mudgee. Toilets, shower blocks, dam to swim in and about 1 hr drive to alot of gold producing areas eg Sofala Windeyer Pyramul Hillend Hargreaves etc. Right time of the year also, not to hot and a little cool at nights. Goodluck where ever you go.

Cracka

Many thanks for the replies guys

Was planning nundle for another trip, but will have a look at Windamere Dam

Thx
Steve

Latest posts