NQMA Making Detecting On Leases Illegal.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kemjak57 said:
To rockwall perhaps next time you go to town leave the keys in your car, your wallet on the dash and the doors unlocked. When its taken from you then youll know what loosing something youve paid hard earned cash for feels like. You guys sound like its your right to go onto these places just because your heart is beating. The world has changed and new rules apply. I am privileged to be able to prospect on Simons leases and if I find anything I let him know. Im fed up reading the posts that are definitely having a go at Simon. Goldhounds have had the same treatment with people pilfering from their blood sweat and tears, thats why they are pissed as well. If 12k isnt much chuck your hand in your pocket and flick it to Simon for next years payments. See how it feels. Had enough of this garbage being blurted on this subject by people who arent paying for their own leases.
Mate you also need to read back through the posts. No one has suggested stealing is ok. Although there are plenty of towns where if you left your keys in your car and the doors unlocked there would not be a car there when you came back. Come to think of it that can happen if you leave it locked. No one is suggesting it is ok to go on someone's lease. No doubt you are defending your mate but anyone who has a crack at me will get it back. I am sure he doesn't need you to speak for him. Simmo has made some quite broad accusations against anyone who fossicks with a metal detector.
It is our undeniable right to go onto crown or private land with the correct permissions. People have been making a living out of that since detectors first came out.
If $12000 is too big an ask then don't take out the lease. Simple really. No one is forced to become a miner. Guess what, it costs a lot of fossickers that much every year with fuel costs, accomodation etc and that gets shared aroung the whole community.
From what I have seen said about Goldhounds and read what they have said on this forum I think it is a bit rich quoting them.
How many houses do you think were broken into across the country last night, how many cars were stolen? Does that mean we treat everyone we see as a criminal? Are miners the only people who have property stolen? Some scum think anything left unattended is fair game.
One answer, don't be greedy and take on multiple leases that you can't defend.

I would think good business sense would be to have other properties that you can move to once youve worked the other out. Surely you can see that thats why the major companies do that. Imagine finishing a lease the going through all of the heartache of setting up another one. You would be out of action for ages. I see it as good business sense. Some of your claims and statements have been a little loose too bud. Such as your first sentence in post #113. If youve never been to the Palmer river how on earth can you make a comment like that. Simon doesnt need me for anything but I certainly will stand for fair play. Move on mate peg your own lease and see how you fare.

I will say I am a believer in a fair go for all and I get some what you are saying but it is a hard slog and a costly one for these guys to obtain and maintain this land and to have someone abuse that work would be very annoying. Sorry if Ive gone too far but looking at it from one side is not constructive. Ive been an onlooker on this subject and can see both sides but bottom line, if youve paid your money you should have more of a say than someone who is just waltzing in. Peace

kemjak57 said:
I would think good business sense would be to have other properties that you can move to once youve worked the other out. Surely you can see that thats why the major companies do that. Imagine finishing a lease the going through all of the heartache of setting up another one. You would be out of action for ages. I see it as good business sense. Some of your claims and statements have been a little loose too bud. Such as your first sentence in post #113. If youve never been to the Palmer river how on earth can you make a comment like that. Simon doesnt need me for anything but I certainly will stand for fair play. Move on mate peg your own lease and see how you fare.
This is going from the ridiculous to the bizarre. I know people who have leases up there, I know people who go up there. I do watch the news now and then. Where I go the main complaints graziers have is not about fossickers but miners. The fossickers are easy to deal with, just boot them off. Miners, and not all obviously, can abuse their rights and some do so often. Larger companies who have several operations obviously have employees that supervise their operations. An individual can't afford that.
The comment I made about more than one lease had nothing to do with good business sense, merely the ability to safeguard your property. If you want to go down that path then it makes better sense to ensure equipment isn't left unattended for thieving scum to take. If your car is stolen because it wasn't secured properly then you may find your insurance company may see you as partly responsible for the theft.
I chose long ago not to go down the path of taking out leases and while ever I can access leasehold or private land lawfully I will continue to do so. Should that change I will retire. Past due to anyway.
If the issues surrounding leases are too onerous then yes, time to move on.

kemjak57 said:
I will say I am a believer in a fair go for all and I get some what you are saying but it is a hard slog and a costly one for these guys to obtain and maintain this land and to have someone abuse that work would be very annoying. Sorry if Ive gone too far but looking at it from one side is not constructive. Ive been an onlooker on this subject and can see both sides but bottom line, if youve paid your money you should have more of a say than someone who is just waltzing in. Peace
Posted the other one before I saw this. :Y:

Cool it fellas, there's more important things to concern you at this time of year---Christmas--guys.
Same as me, I don't need people arguing to take care of every day-but-it happens-but I do for the good of the members -like you are.
Jaros Merry Christmas.

Jaros said:
Cool it fellas, there's more important things to concern you at this time of year---Christmas--guys.
Same as me, I don't need people arguing to take care of every day-but-it happens-but I do for the good of the members -like you are.
Jaros Merry Christmas.
All good my end. I am just down the road from these blokes at Cardwell. Next time I go to Cairns we might get the chance to discuss it over a beer. Yorkeys Boat Club is one of my favourite places. :beer:

Rockwall, you are dillusional.

What miner do you know up here, who??
Because I know of not one, that doesn't feel the same way as I do. And I've only been here 10 years or so.

We have had comment from the new owners of Palmerville Station, that recent fires were started by miners.....

Let me tell you, that Miners dont start uncontrolled fires, I defend and back burn my holdings, trucks and equipment every year, because of fires, not started by miners.
I was a little late this year in getting in to backburn the camp lease, and lost my hoses... it's part of the job, but a couple of hundred bucks and we'll be able to shift water around again.

Your comments (Rockwall) are ridiculous!
The Graziers know where the miners are!! Its right there on the map! Miners are accountable for their actions and have to abide by their EA or could lose their FA?!?!
The Graziers dont know where the fossickers are, because (mostly) they are EVERYWHERE, without PERMISSION, or ANY accountability!

I dont know what accusations I've made against anyone with a metal detector?
I'm merely a supporter of stricter legislative conditions imposed on fossickers entering EPM's, which would encompass MLA's and ML's.

Multiple leases is a business decision that you make as an operator. As one lease closes up, you rehab and move to the next. Its not rocket science.
Approvals are a lot quicker now than they used to be, providing you are compliant, so pegging 3-5 years out is no longer a necessity.

Typing whilst all the love was going on!!
Sorry!
Merry Christmas Jaros too!

Rockwall, is that you Pete??

Simmo said:
Rockwall, you are dillusional.

What miner do you know up here, who??
Because I know of not one, that doesn't feel the same way as I do. And I've only been here 10 years or so.

We have had comment from the new owners of Palmerville Station, that recent fires were started by miners.....

Let me tell you, that Miners dont start uncontrolled fires, I defend and back burn my holdings, trucks and equipment every year, because of fires, not started by miners.
I was a little late this year in getting in to backburn the camp lease, and lost my hoses... it's part of the job, but a couple of hundred bucks and we'll be able to shift water around again.

Your comments (Rockwall) are ridiculous!
The Graziers know where the miners are!! Its right there on the map! Miners are accountable for their actions and have to abide by their EA or could lose their FA?!?!
The Graziers dont know where the fossickers are, because (mostly) they are EVERYWHERE, without PERMISSION, or ANY accountability!

I dont know what accusations I've made against anyone with a metal detector?
I'm merely a supporter of stricter legislative conditions imposed on fossickers entering EPM's, which would encompass MLA's and ML's.

Multiple leases is a business decision that you make as an operator. As one lease closes up, you rehab and move to the next. Its not rocket science.
Approvals are a lot quicker now than they used to be, providing you are compliant, so pegging 3-5 years out is no longer a necessity.

You know what Simmo, you keep contradicting yourself.
"The graziers don't know where fossickers are because (mostly) they are everywhere , without permission, or any accountability.

I don't know what accusations I've made against anyone with a metal detector" end quote

I can guarantee that where I go, between the property owner and myself there are not fossickers everywhere without permission.

Knowing where the miners are means nothing, its knowing where they shouldn't be that is the issue. Like dams, feed troughs etc disrupting cattle in calving season. Silly Iittle things like that.
Mate you keep lecturing me about rules not being followed and not being enforced. That also applies to SOME miners.

I think that anyone who transgresses, fossicker or miner, should never be allowed to get a licence/permit again. That should sort things out.

Like I said, that Champagne can affect rational thinking. It can also affect memory.

And please, please read the posts from the beginning to refresh your memory.

I am not only ridiculous but "DELUSIONAL" too!
And yes, you make the business decisions that can mean leaving assets unattended. Your choice.
I didn't mention anything about fires.
I have no doubt the miners I know probably support shutting everyone out. One of them I am referring to has had leases up that way for 40 odd years.

Like Jaros said, Merry Christmas. And I do enjoy a beer or two occasionally. :beer:

Merry Christmas.

Simmo said:

Merry Christmas.

I thought the conditions on my QLD fossicking licence were already strict enough.

If you want control of where fossickers come and go and how they go about their hobby on your EPM, isnt that when you apply for a mining lease?

kemjak57 said:
To rockwall perhaps next time you go to town leave the keys in your car, your wallet on the dash and the doors unlocked. When its taken from you then youll know what loosing something youve paid hard earned cash for feels like. You guys sound like its your right to go onto these places just because your heart is beating. The world has changed and new rules apply. I am privileged to be able to prospect on Simons leases and if I find anything I let him know. Im fed up reading the posts that are definitely having a go at Simon. Goldhounds have had the same treatment with people pilfering from their blood sweat and tears, thats why they are pissed as well. If 12k isnt much chuck your hand in your pocket and flick it to Simon for next years payments. See how it feels. Had enough of this garbage being blurted on this subject by people who arent paying for their own leases.

Hey mate yeah that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess. The NQMA has some great members, but like most associations when it relates to money especially GOLD there is always a minority that will oppose fresh blood that can do the hard yards on the ground and peg VIRGIN ground. I wish all the best to the company that brought our tenements, you will dig up one hell of a lot of gold.Our only stipulation verbally and with a handshake is that NONE of our tenements are to be sold to the president of the NQMA. I am sure they will keep to there word as they are genuine people that a handshake is there bond. Merry xmas to all.

Rockwall said:
Danny13 said:
Dave79 said:
Looks like you made a bad investment.
Sounds like your on the R16 Dave79 . These small miners are trying to make a living , a little bit of empathy will go a long way!
Aren't we all. How about some empathy for the rest of us that do things according to the rules? Why join in a game and then expect the rules to be changed just for you?
Mate been in the Game , put the boot on both feet , been on both sides of the fence! . If you want to walk on someones lease then ask permission . Most people owning these leases are trying to make a living and at the same time dealing with thieves and various other issues . You walk on one , your going to be treated as a thief until proven otherwise.

Merry Christmas

Danny I think we all need to just step back & take a deep breath here!
I don't think anyone posting here against prospecting/fossicking needing permission from EPM holders are the bad guys & I don't think Simmo or those who are for it are either.
We are all very passionate about what we do & what rights we feel we should have.
Nobody wants to see their rights eroded & nobody wants to see pilfering scum ripping anybody off.
We've all got an opinion on it & there are two very logical sides of the argument to this!

There's has been no argument about people going onto Mining Leases or Claims without permission, it's not on. Nobody here is saying that it is ok!!! It seems to keep getting blurred!!!
MLA's should be in that group too - the "Pending Ground" free for all that happens in WA doesn't fill me with a warm fuzzy feeling at all. But rules are rules & many actively seek that ground out legally - morally,well maybe not but it's not unlawful?

The main argument against grouping EPM's in with the other tenement types wasn't meant (by me) to give anyone flak. I've seen how it doesn't work & if the Mines Dept can't police smaller mining leases or claims against thieves they'll never police larger areas of EPM's.
Currently in Qld it's totally legal to prospect/fossick on EPM's with the correct landowner/landholder/land manager permission.
Nobody should have the right to exclude us from land we can otherwise lawfully access to undertake a lawful activity. Whether any changes made are then by a permit system or not that right shouldn't be eroded. EVER!

Again I'm just stating my opinion on what has supposedly been proposed (because no one seems willing to officially confirm anything as yet). It's not putting flak on anyone, it's just my own opinion on this subject.

FYI
"MINERAL RESOURCES ACT 1989 - SECT 10
Act does not create estates in land
The grant of a mining tenement under this Act does not create an estate or interest in land."

How would you all feel if landowners/landholders/land managers tried to get laws changed to further restrict or exclude small scale mining from their land. How would you like graziers to be given even more rights over leasehold land allowing them to dictate to you? I know from past events the NQMA has fought against that very thing!
And before anyone says but we/they already are restricted & excluded from land & pay for it & have conditions put on them etc. etc. Well guess what so do prospectors/fossickers & we're damn sick of having more restrictions + exclusions placed on us too.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/4485/1576922891_1576734152_2-nqma.pdf

Danny13 said:
Rockwall said:
Danny13 said:
Dave79 said:
Looks like you made a bad investment.
Sounds like your on the R16 Dave79 . These small miners are trying to make a living , a little bit of empathy will go a long way!
Aren't we all. How about some empathy for the rest of us that do things according to the rules? Why join in a game and then expect the rules to be changed just for you?
Mate been in the Game , put the boot on both feet , been on both sides of the fence! . If you want to walk on someones lease then ask permission . Most people owning these leases are trying to make a living and at the same time dealing with thieves and various other issues . You walk on one , your going to be treated as a thief until proven otherwise.

Merry Christmas
Can't you read?