Nice gold setup for beginner

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
$1500 would be good deal, it could go up around the $2000 mark. The 2200D's have been going for about $1700 on eBay, they have been holding there value pretty well lately.

DD

I'm looking for a SD2200 too. Lot of people reckon the SD2200D is the better machine but I guess its like everything its a matter of opinion. Personally, after doing a fair bit of research, I would be happy with either at the right price.

Excuse my ignorance but why not buy a brand new Eureka Gold at $1,190.00? Are SD2200 better machines?

The Eureka gold is a VLF detector, the SD2200 is a Pulse Induction and much better for gold in mineralized ground, in all ground actually.

DD

Hi sw1fty, as you may have seen by my signature line I have a Minelab Eureka Gold. So why am I looking for an SD2200?

I did a fair bit of research before I bought the Eureka Gold. I only had a budget of <$2000 and because I am new to the hobby I wanted to buy a new detector and not be landed with a used machine that may have had problems.

I decided on the Eureka Gold because it ticked all the boxes for me. For a $1200 detector it does everything it claims to do. I've picked up air rifle pellets at about 8" and small iron targets at similar depths, so no doubt if those targets were gold I would've found them too.

But DD is right, in mineralised ground they do struggle. They are not very quiet, so your ears really have to be sensitive enough to concentrate on the different sounds. This means you have to concentrate very hard to filter out the noise from the signals. By the end of the day I'm just mentally knackered.

I also feel that using the auto GB, especially in hot ground, reduces the depth and sensitivity so this means I'm manually ground balancing and then using fixed GB.

I figure if I can get an SD2200D or V2 for around the same price as the Eureka Gold I'd be a bit happier in the bush and come home with a bit more colour ;)

Au

OK thanks for the explanation I didn't realise the SD was a PI machine.
I would like to see a big range of MD's over the same ground with a prior hidden target, through a designated path so target is definitely passed over, and then we would know where the value of machines is.
I'm a noob but if somebody was able to do a day out with this prac demo in hot ground, normal? ground with all types of detectors, wouldn't that put to rest a lot of bs?
Where I am there is none of the areas needed for this and I wonder why no forums/clubs haven't done this simple test to get the best for readers/members...

Nice find there.... be interesting to see what it goes for.

WIsh I had the money tho. Would make it easy to jump into the hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts