Nice day exploring

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went for a bit of an explore locally (Canberra).

Checked out Cotter Cave entrance and the old Congwarra Lode Mine on Paddys River. It was a copper and iron mine with a small amount of gold coming from it.

I noted that the steps up to a viewing platform across from the old scree field was cut out of solid quartz.

I then walked up on to the scree field and diggings. You could see fresh diggings which is illegal, it's in a nature reserve now.

I then went and had a pan at one of the few local spots where you can. Nothing to note. A couple miniscule specs of gold.

Agree.

Problem is that it is probably in a nature reserve. So its a no go area unfortunately.

Hehe yeah it is unfortunate!

Yep saw those as well John. Planning on exploring more. ;)

Oh i didn't realise there was places to pan out there...

Do you have a map, or some pictures?

I usually just head out of canberra... :(

I do too. There are limited spots in Canberra that are not in NPs or NRs.

You can see the area below which falls outside Bullen Range NR as an example.

1488763887_screenshot_20170306-122901.jpg

Awesome thanks for that, i will have a closer look at see where else is.

Just never really thought about it too much as i figured most would be protected.

No problem.

Most is, or on private property.

I mainly worked some crevices, some in the water and some where old flood levels were.

Like I said, I only got a few specs of colour after being there for about 2.5 hours.

Travelled out to the cotter today to have a look around and see what I could find around paddys river and also did a forum search to see if anyone else had posted and this thread came up.

Travel up past the cotter cave and was impressed by quarts used to build the steps. Climbed over the railing to have a look in an open mine and then crossed the gully where open mining was done and a lot of fresh diggings around there. could be animals or someone having a go. a lot of traffic out there being easter but after reading that eric has found a few specs from panning around the area id be interested to head back out there soon on a week day :)

Also had a quick detect around old school for some coins but wasn't too lucky. just an old icecream badge, 10c, 1c and possible sixpence but very dirty.

Yes, there were fresh diggings on the old mine site when I was there. It didn't look like animals to me.

Latest posts