Newby Commencing At Blackwood Victoria.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewilko

that's right it was me....
Reaction score
Been reading avidly through all of your most gracious information for which I thank you all.

My avitar is my camper. Do say g'day if you see me in the field. I have always loved the bush, both camping and fishing, - but I don't shoot.

I am rising 62 years of age and I have been retrenched (being unemployed or perhaps unemployable) for some 16 months, so I thought "why not do what I love, being out where I want to be and tie it to an interest that will keep me fit" Why not indeed...

Studying gold detecting with all our online resources for a month or two I have recently purchased a bonafide Minelab GPX 4800 with 11" DD and a 15 x 12" Mono.
The detecting package was sourced from a Queensland Pawnbroker and is complete, including pin pointer et al. I am satisfied it was never used.
I have the original purchase invoice dated April 2014 @ $5495.00. I didn't pay anywhere near that sum - I believe I bought it $$ right.

From my home location I have decided to use Blackwood as my launching place. I have been out there 3 times now and have detected perhaps 8 hours in total.

My Blackwood choice is purely because it is nearest to my home, is viable as a gold bearing region, is not easy by all reports and comments and is as good a place as any to earn stripes in detecting knowledge and hopefully detecting expertise!

The first trip was an overnight stay; to drive around Yankee Road, to find and then walk about the area of Albion reef down to Perry reef.
The second was also overnight; to try to understand what I was looking at and I started detecting using the 11" DD, which was about 2 hours of detecting.
I went back last week to Albion only and had about 3 hrs with the 15 x 12" Mono and 3 hours with the DD.

I have found horseshoes, nails, needles (?), bucket handle segments, junk iron, iron pegs, and coin like metal (tokens?) and axe heads from long gully creek at the B'Wood substation all the way up to Albion North. Did somebody mention "get fit" before ha ha!

Anyway I am seeing the area drying off after this weekends rain and should be detecting there Thursday (17 Nov).

I will post new threads plus join in with the forum as contributor as we go.

Cheers all,
Steven

Oh, yes! I have found two lead shot.
I have been wondering about discriminating the detector sound and wanting to know the difference from that of iron etc.
I did note that although a very similar sound to iron was generated I felt there was a 'hold/pause' on the signal at the very start.
The lower first tone 'held' a fraction before rising.
Just reading about pb and au on the element table, being closely placed, expecting the gold signal to be similar to that experience.

Welcome Steven, i have a gpx 4500 and it finds gold no problems, the 4800 should serve you well. Do yourself a big favour and never ever discriminate in the goldfields, dig everything mate or you will certainly leave gold behind. learn the sound of lead well as gold is identical, have fun getting acquainted with your machine. Cheers SS.

stevewilko said:
Been reading avidly through all of your most gracious information for which I thank you all.

My avitar is my camper. Do say g'day if you see me in the field. I have always loved the bush, both camping and fishing, - but I don't shoot.

I am rising 62 years of age and I have been retrenched (being unemployed or perhaps unemployable) for some 16 months, so I thought "why not do what I love, being out where I want to be and tie it to an interest that will keep me fit" Why not indeed...

Studying gold detecting with all our online resources for a month or two I have recently purchased a bonafide Minelab GPX 4800 with 11" DD and a 15 x 12" Mono.
The detecting package was sourced from a Queensland Pawnbroker and is complete, including pin pointer et al. I am satisfied it was never used.
I have the original purchase invoice dated April 2014 @ $5495.00. I didn't pay anywhere near that sum - I believe I bought it $$ right.

From my home location I have decided to use Blackwood as my launching place. I have been out there 3 times now and have detected perhaps 8 hours in total.

My Blackwood choice is purely because it is nearest to my home, is viable as a gold bearing region, is not easy by all reports and comments and is as good a place as any to earn stripes in detecting knowledge and hopefully detecting expertise!

The first trip was an overnight stay; to drive around Yankee Road, to find and then walk about the area of Albion reef down to Perry reef.
The second was also overnight; to try to understand what I was looking at and I started detecting using the 11" DD, which was about 2 hours of detecting.
I went back last week to Albion only and had about 3 hrs with the 15 x 12" Mono and 3 hours with the DD.

I have found horseshoes, nails, needles (?), bucket handle segments, junk iron, iron pegs, and coin like metal (tokens?) and axe heads from long gully creek at the B'Wood substation all the way up to Albion North. Did somebody mention "get fit" before ha ha!

Anyway I am seeing the area drying off after this weekends rain and should be detecting there Thursday (17 Nov).

I will post new threads plus join in with the forum as contributor as we go.

Cheers all,
Steven

love those old mobile camper conversions - so much easier than scambling around in the rain unpacking and pitching a tent or swag .....

Nice country up there. My 2 times great uncle was there in 1869 - he was the piano player in Williams Hotel at Barry's Creek. He's daily renummeration was probably bottomless nobblers of whisky and hot pot stew.

Casper

Welcome stevewilko
Your in for a fun time mate, lots of junk lots of gold but do dig those targets

Cheers

Hi Steven and welcome to our forum lots of luck out in the field if I ever see you camper I'll drop in.