Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day pleased to join this group. I have recently bought a gpx 4500. I researched gold and geology for 12 months prior. The problem is apart from the 2Nd time out I can't find any gold. Now I'm doubting my settings, coil, location choices. I still have the original commander mono. I believe it will find gold so am resisting getting the 12 inch evo at this stage. I've been to Creswick Ballarat Smythesdale Maryborough Castlemaine (Chewton) no luck mate. Only place I had luck was Creswick which was with an old bloke named Ray Hall. He gave me some settings for my machine which I've used but because of my lack of success I'm not trusting now. Not trusting anything!! Have a training day finally with minelab next month am thinking now.of staying home until then. Not sure if I can tho. Lol. Any way sorry for the ramble. Pleased to meet yas good luck in ya hunts

Gday Robbo,
Welcome to the forum.
The 4500 is a great machine and will find you gold. You have to walk over it first b4 you can find it so dont get too disheartened by not finding any gold on only your 2nd outing. It may take you many more trips before you hit your first gold. I would leave you machine on the base settings until you get the hang of it , then once you are comfortable using it , start playing with the settings.
Also remember that the settings you may get off the internet may be fine for their location but not be much good where you are.

I would get out and use the machine as much as possible before the training day so that you are familiar with it. It will be much easier to understand what the instructor is telling you if you have a good knowledge of the controls

You cant find gold if it is sitting in the cupboard :lol:

cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob. I've been out about 6 times now. Twice this long weekend. I've got some lead shot that Ive bundled into a few packages. From half a gram to 45 grams that I plan to bury at different depths and see how the machine responds so I can play with the settings

Hi RCY,

Welcome to the club. Had a chuckle to myself when I read your post. Ive just been through a patch where no gold turned up for a period of time and had the same thoughts and doubts as you. The reality is that we find a lot of nothing on a regular basis and if we are lucky, the occasional bit of gold turns up. I am sure that all PA members have their good and not so productive periods. The people who turn into good gold prospectors are the ones that never give up and work through the rough times. I believe one problem you need to deal with is the fact that you found gold on your second outing. Many people have to wait months or years before that bit of magic happens. If gold was easy to find wed all be rich or the yellow stuff would be worthless. The commander coils are good coils. It will find you What you are after. If there is gold under your coil at a suitable depth the machine will see it and the 4500 will talk to you. I suggest that you take the piece of gold that you found out onto the gold fields and bury it at a range of depths and see what the detector tells you. You can then confirm if your settings are OK or fine tune them to get the best response out of the 4500. Having play time helps you to understand what the machine can do for you. Good luck and dont give up. If you are detecting in the right areas, you will eventually crack it.

Cheers

Les

Thanks Les I have been doing that. I take the gold with me everything Mostly because I want to add to it lol but also to test it. What I've found is the machine won't pick it up at depth. Say 6 inches or deeper. I'm usually running the settings the old guy gave me which is gain 6 Stabilizer 11. Very slow and fixed. Yesterday I cracked it and turned everything up! Wow did it get noisy ha ha ha

RobboChasinYella said:
Thanks Les I have been doing that. I take the gold with me every time Mostly because I want to add to it lol but also to test it. I have about. 0.4 of a gram. What I've found is the machine won't pick it up at depth. Say 6 inches or deeper. I'm usually running the settings the old guy gave me which is gain 6 Stabilizer 11. Very slow and fixed. Yesterday I cracked it and turned everything up! Wow did it get noisy ha ha ha

Hi RCY,

Bob is right about factory settings as a starting point. If you are in noisy ground you may need the gain and stabiliser turned down a bit. You should be looking for a smooth threshold. How big is the nugget you are testing? If it is a very small sub gram piece (.1 to or so), you could be getting good depth. If it was over a gram, Id be expecting better than that.

Cheers

Les

Hi Robbo, as stated before you have to walk over the gold to find it. I have a 4500 as do many others and they are a great machine (wish I had a GPZ but that is more to do with money or lack there of) A year or so ago we had a great little resource on this forum (Minelab Gold) he created some wonderful videos on using the 4500 and its settings. Below is the link
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5oE31Me0MK-p7tkhRhjMw

Good luck

Cheers

I've copied and pasted that whole post Harry mate from Minelab (Tim) what an excellent resource. I'm now reading Loamers

Welcome Robbie

1515852583_welcome11.jpg

Latest posts