Newbie wanting to get his hands wet

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look forward to the day I run into a few people from here and get a chance to bend their ear in person. Otherwise ill stick to some forum posts. try to make sure i'm not asking people to repeat them self's about something that has been covered a lot.

I'm gonna have to call it a night though 3-4 hours drive in the morning :) looking forward to it.

any last minute advice for down Oallen ford for a first timer?

Also I've seen a few people mention local town. where is the nearest place to eat? gonna pack lunch and drink though might be good to know if we need to.

about 15-20k toward nowra its called nerriga good food at the pub and get very busy standing room only sometimes
also watch the speed there is a highway car runs back and forth and he does his job to the letter

7.62marksman said:
Boulders
how did you go with that matt i haven't fitted mine that you gave me yet might be sly and wait till i see your report lol

Still sitting in the back of the Ute mate. We have confirmed Saturday as the day we are heading out there. I'll get stuck into the mods tomorrow and post a pic.

All welcome.

Look forward to seeing it.

Had a good day there today, we stayed pretty much just under the bridge, got some small flecks in the first few pans so happy for a first time.

Now I need to make sure I have collected it in the bottle:)

One couple with a highbanker where cleaning up after it with a small home made sluice, basically half a pvc pipe and matting in it. so called through Bunning's on way home see if I can put one together to clean up some of the stuff I have left in a bucket.

Was a great day (4 hours) out look forward to next time.

the matting in it is called ute matting its a rubber V mattc glued in the half pipe when gluing make sure you rough the inside of the pipe to make it stick
sent you a pm

Thanks 7.62marksman,

I got some matting from Bunnings a couple diff types was going to give them a go as well just to experiment. A little bit of a money waste though once I thinking but hey all or a bit of fun.

Will post photos of the matting I got on here in a little bit just settling back home.

You are spreading the love everywhere mate. Good to see its at least being used.

Finally got around to sorting the sluice out. Turned the rivets around where the grizzly bars were based on marksmans advice just so the hands or spade doesn't catch on to them.

Put the bunnings special grey mat in with a some v rubber matting because the grey mat wasn't long enough.

What do you guys reckon. Put the v rubber mat first (which I did) followed by the spaghetti mat or other way around?

Here's what it looks like. Ready to go for tomorrow.

1483670311_20170106_122410_resized.jpg

1483670351_20170106_122433_resized.jpg

Looks Great

Look forward to hearing how you get on down there Boulders.

so how long is the sluice it self?

My first post here, been happy to be a reader for a long time though and this topic caught my eye, got reading and I too have a GS21 that I have been playing round with and making adjustments to as well. Out of the box the GS21 felt a little smaller than expected and somewhat roughly finished, but I guess you get what you pay for and I really did get it cheap thanks to an Ebay 25% off sale and I do like the clay/dirt bustin hopper, in the field it really does bust up material. I think 2017 will be the year of the Gold Rat 12" Outback Pioneer Series for me, or maybe the Gold Hog Raptor Flare 2.0...if i can get over the international freighting cost!

First thing I did with the GS21 was to put some feet on the legs as I found them a little unstable and they tended to bury a bit, constantly adjusting the height and level when I took it for its maiden run.

They say to run the header box fairly flat, but I found that it was having trouble clearing the grizzly bars (I feel they may be a bit too close together), it helps to have a 2nd set of hands sitting there helping to clear it but if its just one person it can be a pain so I put some extensions on the bars that hold the header box up to increase the pitch....seems to be working much better. I put a big tray at the back of the grizzly's ran a few buckets and then test panned, was not losing anything and the rocks were washed clean. I kinda wish the grizzly's were adjustable/removable so I could play around and make some a bit wider or with a bit more spring.

I took the carpet out and also replaced it with V mat and miners moss over the top, exactly how you have it. The only thing I did differently is fabricated a clamp for the mat, pretty much the same as the Gold Rat Highbanker mat clamp, looks like a Hungarian riffle. It allows the water to pool a bit before material hits the moss.

I'm also thinking about putting in a square of raised aluminium punch plate at the back of the sluice for what His Holiness, "Doc" from Gold Hog calls a "quiet capture zone similar to a quasi fluid bed" and changing the existing expanded mesh (which is tiny) out for some with a larger profile around that 8mm high by 38mm x 19mm? and width and maybe getting rid of the original riffles altogether or make some Hungarian riffles to suit......actually finding the punch plate and expanded mesh off cuts to suit is the problem, Hen's teeth right?

Pretty keen to see how your trip goes Boulders I hope you see a major difference in the amount of yellow you are capturing.

Looks like tomorrow should be nice so I'm heading up the upper Turon around Palmers Oakey in the morning, hopefully get some good colour :D

I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed in the sluicy. I've pretty much had to replace every pop rivet they have put on it. Some places had lugs sticking out over 10mm because they just used the same size rivet everywhere.

Simple things like pop rivets in the wrong way that protrude near the grizzly. Easy to catch your hands on there and rip you apart.

When it arrived it was pretty much in pieces. Silicone job they did was also to be desired.

The legs are way too short and you're forever bending your back over it trying to pour the dirt from the bucket... Which catches up to by the end of the day... Lol.

The grizzly is only supported on one side so it allows the bars to separate easily and wedge plenty of rocks in there. I am going to change it with electrical cable tray material. Same stuff they use in the walbanker.

I also found that lifting the banker by extending the arms about 4 inches was a pretty sweet spot in clearing it out faster.

If you are handy with tools it's only a couple hours of work to get it to an acceptable level. I just feel like they slapped it together and pushed it out the door.

The Gold Rat was my first choice but unfortunately it was out of stock just prior to Christmas so that was out of the equation.

Changing out the carpet with the bunnings grey mat was the best mod so far. Also put some v rubber on the top 250-300mm or so. Clean-up was easy. Everything just fell out nicely when doing a clean up with the grey mat. Ran about 5 buckets worth and got some nice colour. Also panned the tailings and came up clean.

Was a good day out there with marksman. He had his modded sluicy working it's little butt off also. All in all a good day. Will post the results after I get around to doing a clean up.

Latest posts