Newbie & Son

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there guys, New member located on Mornington Peninsula VIC.
Recently my 8yr old son has shown a real interest in digging for hidden treasures after we bought him a book with a block containing stones and minerals for him to find.
Then on the weekend at Dandenong Show there was the Dandenong Lapidary Club display and he and his big sister got right into searching their small treasure hunting plates they had set up.
So,we're off to Ballarat for a dog comp in 2 weeks, and thought, 'what better time to go to Sovereign Hill?"

Looking forward to learning from you all and possibly tagging along on smallish trips to see how you guys go about your business.

spatch out.

Good stuff :D nothing better than hearing the youngsters want to get out and dig :D :D , Most of them think prospecting is a video game :lol:
Good luck and I hope theres enough in the pan to keep em keen :)

Thanks guys. This site has been a 'gold mine' - pardon the pun!

How good is the Geovic maps. I'm playing around in Geovic 2 at the moment.
Still struggling a bit with Geovic 3.
Can I ask, what elements can you filter down to? I can only find GOLD in the layers so far.

This Sovereign Hill trip can't come quickly enough. I remember going there asa kid and bought a small vial of gold for like $12. Wish I knew where it was nowadays - I'd drop it in his pan when he wasn't looking! ;)

Welcome Spatch.
Geovic is a good tool but 2 is an older version & not updated any more, Geovic 3 is the latest version & the one that gets updates so probably the best one to use, it is a little more complicated to use though but with practice you will be right.
I'm slowly getting there with it but still a bit to learn but there are some pretty clever people on this forum that can help out.

I did a quick search of the forum for 'Geovic' to see if there was a 'hints and tips' type post.
Is there one?

Just found out that a workmate's brother in law works at MINELAB in SA. Yeah baby!