Newbie from NE Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Stumbled on the forum while surfing the net and have to say it's one of the most informative I've seen.

I grew up in Mudgee and my grandparents lived in Hargraves - they had a 99 year lease on the old police station/courthouse. My grandfather was a prospector for most of his life and spent countless hours digging a sluice and working the surrounds of Louisa Creek which was just over the road. I think it was him who planted the seed but it's taken about 40 years or so to germinate :D

Yesterday (Australia Day public holiday) two mates and I headed up near Kancoona to have my first crack at panning. Just a cheap pan from Aussie Disposals and a shovel. No luck (we only had a couple of hours) but we had a great day.

In true Australia Day spirit we took a few Coopers Sparkling Ales, listened to The 12th Man on the way up and back, went home via the Bridge Rd brewery where we had a couple of porters and prawn pizza! Very Aussie :D

One of my other hobbies is flyfishing and it seems like some of my favourite streams for fishing are also productive gold areas. Once I've spent some money on some gear (river sluice etc) I can see me packing the rods and pans!

Anyhoo, that's me and going by the feel I get from this forum I might be around a while.

Cheers,
Mac

Grew up in Mt Beauty just up the road from Kancoona.
Spent many a day ferreting and shooting around Kancoona in my childhood.

How did you go with the gold

Latest posts